No announcement yet.

Advice on pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should think seriously on the induction side for your car. Standard early XE is 154 bhp, later C20XE is 148bhp. Induction is where most gains can be made. The standard head on XE can get up to 220 - 230hp. Rods are ok to 250hp, but you should fit ARP rod bolts as these are weak..

On std engine and if setup properly, approx figures:

R1 Carbs are going to get around 180hp + you will have choke for warm up. Mid expense
    45 Webbers + Cavalier 1.6 Dizzy is 180hp. Quite expensive to get good set
    ITB's Jenveys + Management 196 - 208hp.. See SBD website. No IACV so will splutter until warmed up .. Very Expensive
    Std Injection and std Managment- standard HP to say 173hp with Chip, exhaust manifold and exhaust system etc.. Everything runs from cold

All above assumes better manifold, exhaust system, filter etc..

The engine has high low end torque and it does not rise much with with all these mods much above standard engine, until head work and cams are involved.
    All I can say is that, mine has approx 165hp and that is a fair amount for the road with LSD. How you gear it is important too. So you need to know what you will be using the car for, other wise you can spend loads on induction kit that never really gets used.

In the future I have a plan to make a different inlet manifold. Some persons have got over 200hp on standard engine by doing this, proving multi carbs and throttle bodies are not actually needed. Sort of sledge hammer to crack a nut solution. Most want multi throttles for the induction sound, but a change of inlet manifold get the same result..
    Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
    (use Irish accent)

Comment

Thank you very much, again, for the detailed reply. All that information is a great help. The car is a long term project in my retirement (poxy stroke!) And will just be a bit of a fun sleeper, looking as standard as I can get it. I intend to make it pleasant enough for long runs so it actually gets used, not a stripped out racer. I've had both Minis and a 16v Astra GTE back in the day so combining the two is going to be fun. Costs can quickly spiral, so I will look at the standard injection again, I had dismissed it as I'm sure I read somewhere it won't fit.

Thank you so much again for all your help.

Stay safe

Comment

Originally posted by Wibble View Post
        Thank you very much, again, for the detailed reply. All that information is a great help. The car is a long term project in my retirement (poxy stroke!) And will just be a bit of a fun sleeper, looking as standard as I can get it. I intend to make it pleasant enough for long runs so it actually gets used, not a stripped out racer. I've had both Minis and a 16v Astra GTE back in the day so combining the two is going to be fun. Costs can quickly spiral, so I will look at the standard injection again, I had dismissed it as I'm sure I read somewhere it won't fit.

Thank you so much again for all your help.

Stay safe
        It won't fit with standard manifold setup. You either have to modify the bulkhead extensively OR make a different inlet manifold. This is what many of the smaller Vauxhall conversions have to do. It sounds like you will not need expensive throttle bodies etc for what you want. I can tell you that my car is a sleeper, you do not know it has this engine unless the bonnet is opened. Standard length all metal non removable front. No bonnet bulge or wing bulge. BUT I made my own frame to achieve this, not Allspeed. It retains 4 seats, full boot space and has full interior. Weighs in at 742kgs, so that's approx 80kgs over normal mini.. No attempt to lighten anything. It comes out at approx 222bhp/ ton. Ran mid 14 sec 1/4 mile with the worst high geared Final drive ratio, now just changed. Has done 135mph on that old ratio. I have the digital 16V GTE clocks and all check control / fault codes. Not bad for an engine made in 1989. I do have Quaife ATB LSD to help and Avon ZZS tyres to control things.

Will be good for you to start a build thread with pictures, so forum members can help.. Not so many Red Top owners left on here now ... 20200429_102701.jpg
        Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
        (use Irish accent)

Comment

16307657208202182004024240688240.jpg 16307662384178431511990889908216.jpg Thank you yet again, your car looks great and the best colours I recon. Is it not running on its standard injection set up, it looks very similar to the parts that came with mine?

It's going to be a very only term build, as in over a couple of years as I have a house to finish renovating too, so I think a build thread would be pretty drawn out, but I will try and put something together. 16307657208202182004024240688240.jpg

Comment

I'm not great with technology, those photos took some figuring out!

Comment

Originally posted by Wibble View Post
              16307657208202182004024240688240.jpg 16307662384178431511990889908216.jpg Thank you yet again, your car looks great and the best colours I recon. Is it not running on its standard injection set up, it looks very similar to the parts that came with mine?

It's going to be a very only term build, as in over a couple of years as I have a house to finish renovating too, so I think a build thread would be pretty drawn out, but I will try and put something together. 16307657208202182004024240688240.jpg
              OK Thanks. Yes start a build thread and do an intro with pics to the car there in Vauxhall builds.. That way guys can help you and the info is all in the logical place. My white Mini took approx 3 years. Some people are at 10 years and the development never really stops for some of us. I tend to upload pics and then click full size , as it is so much easier to see.. This new version of forum is so much easier to use now, well I use on computer anyhow. .Also your user bio does not state where you are in the country etc. Could be useful if others with knowledge are close to you. Just a thought.

We all have other things like houses etc on the go and other projects generally "gate crash" the show. Usually best to get the car done to a reasonable standard and roadworthy first time around on these conversions. That way you get some reward with the fun of driving and decide if you actually like what you've created. Then those that are loving what they have done, tend to refine, rebuild etc.

Looks like yes, you will need to tackle the induction.. Not sure R1 carbs are going to like that angle. Need to be like 10 - 15 degrees from horizontal I think.
              Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
              (use Irish accent)

Comment

Thank you yet again for your reply. For some reason I barely taken any notice of the 'guild's section and now I'm hooked, so many questions answered just from trawling through. Long term builds are much more common than I imagined. I shall start a thread soon.

I will complete my profile also.

I think the inlet manifold has been put on upside down, as the carbs protrude a good couple of inches above the bonnet line!

I haven't done much more than poke bits with a screwdriver and play with my new needle gun on the soundproofing. I am still accumulating parts and mulling things over.

Thanks again again.

Comment

Having said all this.... I just got won some GSXR ITBs on Ebay, so hope to have a go at using them next year along with a PnP speeduino type ecu. Will be part of some upgrades and changes I want to make to the white XE mini..
                  Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                  (use Irish accent)

Comment

Working...
                  X