Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epas

Hi Guys:

I am considering adding electric power steering. The one that catches my attention is the "Microsteer" by DC Electronics.

Does anybody have any experience with this kit ? Or, any other for that matter?

Cheers
    Bob jonah

Originally posted by bobjonah View Post
    Hi Guys:

I am considering adding electric power steering. The one that catches my attention is the "Microsteer" by DC Electronics.

Does anybody have any experience with this kit ? Or, any other for that matter?

Cheers
    Bob jonah
    I have seen that kit at Autosport every year and think it is too expensive.
    I just used a Corsa C (Vauxhall / GM) , added one of those cheap electronic kits with a variable resistor. I would say that on my XE conversion, it is very useful for parking and also use to help to damp out some torque steer sort of. BUT I still took the EPAS off, because it was too much at speed. I may try it again now I have the quaife diff, but haven't really needed or missed having it fitted. This is with a pretty heavy/ high torque powerplant up front.

If I was doing another EPAS setup, I would look at Renault and perhaps MGF EPAS . The motors have got smaller and easier to accommodate as EPAS has become almost standard on smaller cars.
    Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
    (use Irish accent)

Comment

I agree with you that it is not wanted at high speed. I only need it at start an when parking etc.. That is why the speed sensitivity option gets my attention.

Can the variable resistor not turn it down enough on the GM units ?

Comment

Originally posted by bobjonah View Post
        I agree with you that it is not wanted at high speed. I only need it at start an when parking etc.. That is why the speed sensitivity option gets my attention.

Can the variable resistor not turn it down enough on the GM units ?
        I could not get use to manually turning the variable resistor down. I believe recent Nissans have assistance up to 20mph,or maybe mx5. That sounds ideal, but you still have to get a speed signal.
        Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
        (use Irish accent)

Comment

I went ahead and installed the Microsteer unit, and am very pleased with it. It fits ( just ) under the dash, but I had no room for universal joints, so I had to be very precise and get everything in a straight line so the steering wouldn't wobble - little bit of lathe work and shrink fitting before welding. It has a programable speed sensor, but you have to programe it every time you start the car, so in reality, I find myself using the manual adjustment all of the time. Maybe someday I will find out how to keep the power on such that the speed sensor does not loose its programe when I shut it off.

Comment

Working...
          X