MGF conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MGF conversion

Hey all I have the chance to buy a 1998 MGF 1.8 would it be a suitable doner car to convert my clubby thanks
    awuk
    Last edited by awuk; 25-11-2021, 05:05 PM.

On Ebay there is a car or two and a Guy who sells the engines. I have the rear subframe complete with hubs and all hardware that I will sell, just shafts were cut. Most will tell you that Rover K Series is the way to go. It's tried and tested and loads of advice from members on here..
    Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
    (use Irish accent)

Comment

Originally posted by awuk View Post
      Hey all I have the chance to buy a 1998 MGF 1.8 would it be a suitable doner car to convert my clubby thanks
      To answer the question directly, yes it's a suitable donor BUT, there are better. A ZR or ZS. MGF's are cheap though so consider the costs from my statement here.

First, if it's a 1.8 MPi not a VVC version, I will guarantee in under a year, you will want the VVC engine. I would opt for this now even if what you have been offered is cheap. Reason is the same amount of work is fitting a 120bhp engine vs fitting a 143 or 160bhp engine.

Next is the question, are you planning on adapting a MGF frame to suit your Clubby, or are you going to buy a ready made one? Obviously making the frame means good welding skills are needed. A lot of people don't like using the MGF frame as it means cutting the valance off the front of the car and making a tapered forward one rather than the tapered back one as standard. If you're not using the MGF frame buying a MGF isn't any advantage.

Next is fitment into a Mini. A MGF has it's engine at the back. It uses gear cables for the gear lever. You cannot use these for a FWD car. You want a ZR or ZS lever setup. The dipstick is wrong for a FWD car and will need swapping. The MGF hydraulic clutch can be used but space is very limited. The ZR has a cable and is much smaller. I used this in my Mini for 8 years. You will use the entire engine bay wiring loom. This can be adapted into your Mini loom. There is a guide on here how to do this.

So, to sum up. You really are only going to use the engine and gearbox from the donor. My opinion is buy a FWD version. Tell who you are buying it from you want the gear lever setup and then you don't have a full car to dispose of.

Hope this helps and doesn't seem negative!

Andrew.
      If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

Comment

Hi Andrew thanks for your reply it's not negative at all, basically I have a clubby shell on wheels with a steering wheel and nothing else so I can start fresh, im hoping to weld a frame and not buy a ready made one, im going to look at an mgf tomorrow it's a sound car and believe it to be a vvc and it's only £600 im also planning on using the seats and dash etc so seems like it might be a good buy
        thanks
        Andy

Comment

Working...
        X