Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much oil?

Morning all,

Might sound like a daft question, but as the title states, how much oil are you all putting in your engines?

As most of our engines are not now at their natural resting angle due to making them fit in the tight Mini engine bay, are you still just filling with the recommended amount or just filling up to the max line on the dip stick?

Reason why I ask is that my engine now tilts further back than it should in order to fit in the engine bay. When filled with the recommended amount of oil the oil level on the dipstick is higher than it should be. I don’t want to put too little oil in but also don’t want too much.

What is the general consensus?

If I am honest, I cannot see the slight adjustment in tilt of the engine making a vast amount of difference to the level of oil.

I agree in principle with what you are asking but the tolerances allowed for the general public putting too much or too little in are more likely a concern than the tilt angle.

Andrew.
    If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

Comment

Originally posted by AGoaty View Post
      If I am honest, I cannot see the slight adjustment in tilt of the engine making a vast amount of difference to the level of oil.

I agree in principle with what you are asking but the tolerances allowed for the general public putting too much or too little in are more likely a concern than the tilt angle.

Andrew.
      That’s a fair point and to be honest after an oil change with the recommended 4.5L put back in the level only sits about 5mm above the max line.

Probably just over thinking it as usual.

Mark

Comment

Working...
      X