Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PG1 5th Gears

Evening guys,

Looking for some advice and to see if anyone has tried what I'm thinking 😅 I'm wanting to drop the cruising rpm on my pickup project, I'm currently on C Ratio gears with a 3.6 U-Spec f.d. and 70mph is approx 3.5k rpm. Reading Gary's thread the W-Spec 0.714 ratio 5th seems good as it drops down approx 300rpm, but I was wondering if anyone has used a S-Spec 5th with a ratio of 0.649? This is quite a big drop of 70mpg to 3k rpm and I'm wondering if it would be too much of a gap between 4th/5th? Been ages since I've driven a mini so dont really remember!

I tried the s spec 5th and found it way too tall, killed performance and the gap from 4th was massive. Making the engine quieter makes it feel much more relaxed so I would suggest trying this first (standard rover engine mounts, quieter exhaust, enclosed airbox, tecsound soundproofing etc)
    my build: http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4887
    https://youtu.be/X7O46JmFPh0

Comment

Cheers Gary, thats what I was thinking as it seems like a big drop! Saves me stripping the box again, but I’ll see if I can get a W ratio one as that sounds better. Will look at making it a nicer place to be with decent sound proofing and such

Comment

Depending what you want to achieve I have all parts here.

The 0.714 that Gaz has is from a W ratio gearbox. I would suggest this is the biggest jump from the 1.033 4th. As Gaz says, the 0.649 from the diesel box is too tall from the C 4th.

So, if I was you either swap to the 0.714 5th, or swap gears 3, 4 and 5 from the S ratio set to give a lower cruising rpm but have equal spaced gears.

Andrew.
        If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

Comment

Thanks Andrew! Have you got a U-spec 0.714 W ratio 5th gear? I’d like to keep the C ratio gears I think

Comment

I do mate.

Like hens teeth and this is my last one.

£25 posted the pair of gears.
            If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

Comment

Working...
            X