radiator fan/relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radiator fan/relay

Ok, I should know this but bad day at work..............had some overheating issues, probably an air lock, so rebled the system, got Gaz to tinker with the ecu mapping and lowered the temperature a little so my fan kicks in earlier, however just to be on the safe side.....how easy is it to put in a manual override in? only two wires going to my radiator fan so can't be too hard just don't wanna screw anything up........Mr Cautious....

You'll need to 'T-off' the live wire, fit the switch there and have it fed from a separate live (otherwise the fan won't operate normally through its relay, when you want it to come on automatically).
    The other wire is earth,and can be left alone, as is.
    Can't help with colours though.

Comment

My personal opinion is sort the cooling issue. Fitting an override switch shouldn't be needed.

That said, if you did want to do this you need to find the wire from the ECU and link into it. You would need a diode in the line though to stop current back feeding to the ECU when in override mode. This way you are not running huge power through a switch.

Andrew.
      Last edited by AGoaty; 07-10-2021, 08:23 PM.
      If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

Comment

Originally posted by fynnbar View Post
        You'll need to 'T-off' the live wire, fit the switch there and have it fed from a separate live (otherwise the fan won't operate normally through its relay, when you want it to come on automatically).
        The other wire is earth,and can be left alone, as is.
        Can't help with colours though.
        Since writing this I have been thinking.ouch!....................since the k series has a sort of safety feature in that if the sensor fails or becomes disconnected then the fan will kick in, ( don't we all do that to test the fan? ) Then why not put a switch there in series with the sensor? then when you operate the switch you open the line and hurray fan on? this surely is less hastle than putting a T piece in and a separate feed? You only need a latching switch couple of squid.

Comment

Originally posted by AGoaty View Post
          My personal opinion is sort the cooling issue. Fitting an override switch shouldn't be needed.

That said, if you did want to do this you need to find the wire from the ECU and link into it. You would need a diode in the line though to stop current back feeding to the ECU when in override mode. This way you are not running huge power through a switch.

Andrew.
          surely if I just put an override feed straight to the fan motor, when it is in operation it ........1 directly feeds the fan and..... 2 would only go back to the fan relay, which is no big deal as it is open anyway?

Comment

Put an override feed direct to the fan. You check the ratings of switches. Very few will be strong enough to run it. You need to use the ECU feed. It then uses the car relay in the proper way. I heard someone else needing a diode which is why I suggested it. Maybe that part isn't required.
            If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

Comment

Working...
            X