Engine position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine position

Quick question from a newbie if anyone can help.

After having several Mini’s in the past all being powered by A Series engines I thought I’d have a go at converting my current one to a K Series. I now have everything I need for the conversion and have fabricated my own subframe however in order to get the engine and gearbox to clear everything it is now sitting at an angle. Has anyone else had this issue and will it cause any problems?

many thanks

C303167B-25EF-4D56-BAAF-3ACABFB5BC56.jpeg40AEF1F7-CDA8-4FAA-AAC4-E24132070094.jpeg

From looking at other people I think they all have a slight angle on them, mine does. Your engine looks like it's sitting lower than mine as I had to remove part of the bonnet support section of the wing where the cam cover is. I can't say what's better though as mine is still in the build stage too.

Comment

The k series sits tilted forward as standard. It’s hard to tell from your photos but is your engine sitting further forward on the gearbox end? It should be sitting straight in the engine bay and obviously level.
      You can have it tilted forward or sit it more upright to clear things.
      You’ll probably have to modify the bulkhead at the brake master to clear the manifold, so check that before you finalise the mounts

Comment

Thanks for the replies; yes the engine is sitting more forward at the gearbox end and that is my issue.

Ive managed to make some wiggle room so guess it will have to come out again for some adjustments.

Comment

I'm pretty sure on some posts several years ago someone raised this and it seemed than to get the gearbox to clear the subframe tower it had to sit slightly more forward at the gearbox end
          New subframe fitting has begun - slowly

Build Thread - standard length round nose B series with Rover K series frame, will it all fit ??

Comment

If you look on page two of “1982 round nose project” by chris16v it shows how he has modified the wing to inner wing lip to clear the timing cover. Also “Henry” by instantcustard, he modified the timing cover and rocker cover to clear the wing.

my phone won’t let me post links to build threads on here for some reason🤔

Comment

Originally posted by Oz View Post
              I'm pretty sure on some posts several years ago someone raised this and it seemed than to get the gearbox to clear the subframe tower it had to sit slightly more forward at the gearbox end
              That’s interesting to know but might have come up with a plan to sort it but won’t be able to check until Tuesday when I’m next off work.

Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by geachy87 View Post
                If you look on page two of “1982 round nose project” by chris16v it shows how he has modified the wing to inner wing lip to clear the timing cover. Also “Henry” by instantcustard, he modified the timing cover and rocker cover to clear the wing.

my phone won’t let me post links to build threads on here for some reason🤔
                I’ll check them out thanks for letting me know. It seems to be hard enough to fit everything in a standard round nose but when you don’t want to cut your front end off and keep it solid even harder lol.

Comment

Yeah, I've had to cut the top plastic off the belt cover to get mine to clear the wing. I've got mine high enough that I didn't need to notch the bulkhead out for the inlet manifold

Comment

Originally posted by harrison541 View Post
                    Yeah, I've had to cut the top plastic off the belt cover to get mine to clear the wing. I've got mine high enough that I didn't need to notch the bulkhead out for the inlet manifold
                    Nice one, that’s what I’m trying to achieve but if I have to cut the bulkhead it will have to be done.

Comment

Mine is slightly higher on the driver's side though, it's not level!

IMG_20180728_125532855.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by harrison541 View Post
                        Mine is slightly higher on the driver's side though, it's not level!

IMG_20180728_125532855.jpg
                        I can see that the engine does slope slightly but is it also at an angle like mine with the gearbox end closer to the front panel? It looks like it from the picture but could be just the angle of the picture. Also, is that a custom frame? I think part of my problem is I need to move the tie rod mounts as they are in the same position as they were before I cut the original frame up.

Comment

You will need a slight cut just under the clutch slave cylinder to get the top of the engine more upright. If you take a line from the bottom of the cylinder and cut the box section there. Remove about 15mm of metal, bend the front backwards and weld it up.

I am sure Dan has a photo...
                          If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

Comment

Originally posted by AGoaty View Post
                            You will need a slight cut just under the clutch slave cylinder to get the top of the engine more upright. If you take a line from the bottom of the cylinder and cut the box section there. Remove about 15mm of metal, bend the front backwards and weld it up.

I am sure Dan has a photo...
                            Thanks mate yes I’m aware of that, just want to get the engine positioned right first before committing to yet more surgery.

Comment

You have prob seen my build but fixed metal front. My engine sits fairly level in the bay

Comment

Working...
                              X