Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1.8 K-series conversion - Early days, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.8 K-series conversion - Early days, please help!

Hi everyone, i'm new to the site but had my mini for a while, although it got to the point of needing a full restoration so took this opportunity to go down the k-series route.

A quick run down of where I'm at
    *mini stripped down
    *MGF bought and engine taken out -its a 1.8 non-vvc. Gearbox code:C6BP-2056544
    *Definitely want to keep mini suspension/geometry
    *Definitely want to keep standard mini steel round nose front (although welding it up and turning it in to a flip front)

I have enough fabrication skills to get me by with most tasks, and have experience doing automotive projects but not tackled one like this before, and i'm hoping with the experience people have on here they can hopefully help me out

1. Is it physically doable to achieve what I want with the engine/gearbox I have and mini suspension and round nose?

(if yes to above)

2. Could someone point me towards a link of a build with same criteria?

3. What engine mounts do I need? as looking at other peoples builds they have a different set up to what I have taken of the MGF

4. What modifications do I need to do to the bulkhead and am I right in thinking you have to put a remote servo else where for the brakes? If so, where?

5. What car can I steal the correct gear selector/linkage from?

Think that's enough for now, I have loads of questions but this should be enough to get me going for now. If anyone can help me that would be much appreciated

Look at Darren's "Wife worst nightmare" thread for lots of tips and all your answers to the above

Comment

Originally posted by miniwombat View Post
      Hi everyone, i'm new to the site but had my mini for a while, although it got to the point of needing a full restoration so took this opportunity to go down the k-series route.

A quick run down of where I'm at
      *mini stripped down
      *MGF bought and engine taken out -its a 1.8 non-vvc. Gearbox code:C6BP-2056544
      *Definitely want to keep mini suspension/geometry
      *Definitely want to keep standard mini steel round nose front (although welding it up and turning it in to a flip front)

I have enough fabrication skills to get me by with most tasks, and have experience doing automotive projects but not tackled one like this before, and i'm hoping with the experience people have on here they can hopefully help me out

1. Is it physically doable to achieve what I want with the engine/gearbox I have and mini suspension and round nose?

(if yes to above)

2. Could someone point me towards a link of a build with same criteria?

3. What engine mounts do I need? as looking at other peoples builds they have a different set up to what I have taken of the MGF

4. What modifications do I need to do to the bulkhead and am I right in thinking you have to put a remote servo else where for the brakes? If so, where?

5. What car can I steal the correct gear selector/linkage from?

Think that's enough for now, I have loads of questions but this should be enough to get me going for now. If anyone can help me that would be much appreciated
      1: Yes The C6BP's supposed to have pretty good ratios for a mini, too.

2: Gazwad's build has this criteria from the bottom of page 35. There are others, just have a look through the Rover builds section.

3: Whatever works! Some people use the Rover ones, some use the MG stuff, others use the LandRover V8 bobbin type ones or Transit leaf spring bushes. This bit's up to you.

4: Depends how far back you want the engine.

5: Apparently the mini gear selector can be used, or get one from a Rover that uses the PG1 box.

Best thing to do is to do lots of reading in the builds section, and then take your time with the building of it
      Originally posted by apbellamy
      Fuck me Shaun. That actually made sense.

Comment

Welcome to the fun!

The K series engine in a Mini is brilliant so well done for getting the first step right!

You'll need to adapt your front subframe to hold your new engine by keeping the towers and making a frame to suit. There is a thread all about this here.

http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=34135

You can make your frame to suit the mounts you have as this is the easiest and cheapest way. Gazwad's tubular frame looks good, as do others made from box section. Up to you how you go about this.

The steel front is also good to keep. I like the hinged ones myself if you have the skills to do it. Use Rover 800 boot hinges I think. Not fussed about the motor driven part this gives an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daca8DSxrV8

Adding a location to your posts can help if anyone is near you. I found this works well and is defiantly worth adding.

Don't be worried about asking questions, This is a friendly forum. Not like, others know what I mean, where you'll get slated for posts.

Hope this helps.

Andrew.
        If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

Comment

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies they have answered a good number of questions and put my mind to rest a bit as i've seen a few posts saying you can't fit the K-series under the standard round nose unless you lengthen it etc. Also after seeing Gaswad's build I'm definitely going to have to go down the route of a tubular subframe construction, looks great! Also another thing that i'm doing (for better or for worse) that you guys may find interesting is that i'm getting rid of the standard mini floorpan and instead making a space frame for it that bolts on to the subframes and then the body bolts on top. I've already made a good start on this so will get some photo's up pronto! Thanks again

Comment

Does anybody know if the MG ZT gear selectors would work? Just thinking it might be an easy option as the engine and box out of mine are from a mgf so was using cable set up opposed to rod anyway but obviously can't use the selector out of the mgf as the orientation of the engine has now changed from rear to front engined so the gears would be back to front, however the ZT is front engined but still uses cable set up. Thoughts?

see ebay link below of what I'm thinking of getting:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4005399055...84.m1423.l2649

Comment

Easiest way is to shorten a Rover 200/400 ZR or ZS PG1 gearbox model. Look up the universal joint modification with a steering column one.
              If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

Comment

Also does anyone know how to make the images not just appear as a thumb nail in posts?

Comment

Sussed it!

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Oh dear

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Luckily I have bought a spare shell that was from a written-off car for £30, this has meant I can steal bits off it for repair panels, and staright away it has come in handy!

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Time to start on the space frame chassis!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

starting to cut away the rusty floor, rear fire wall, and boot floor to start figuring out how i'm going to fabricate the rest of the chassis....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

starting to get a clearer picture now.....

[IMG][/IMG]

The early stages of the chassis back in situe, and starting to introduce some sheet steel to make the sills:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Also tacked in some bracing bars midway up the car to stop what remains of the shell twisting:

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                              X