2-speed wiper motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-speed wiper motor

Hi Guys: My Elf had a single speed wiper motor with a two position toggle switch. I have a two speed motor that I would like to use, however the only two speed switch ( 3 position ) available, is a rocker style - not toggle.
    Does anybody know if it is possible to use the 3 position headlamp toggle switch for the wipers?
    I want to keep the original look, so a rocker style switch is a no-no

Thanks
    Bob Jonah

dont see why not, side lamps could be speed 1 and hlamps speed 2, you would still need a park supply for the motor

Comment

Quick update - the three position light switch works fine. I just had to run another wire for the high speed - let it rain, let it rain let it rain

Bob Jonah

Comment

Originally posted by bobjonah View Post
        Quick update - the three position light switch works fine. I just had to run another wire for the high speed - let it rain, let it rain let it rain

Bob Jonah
        Juat a word of caution..might need to rethink that.. I'm not completely sure that it won't have a detrimental effect on the motor in the long term.

The light switch will be powering both fast and slow wires when in the headlight on position..

both wires and the earth all go to carbon brushes..
        I think the high speed brush is opposite the ground brush and the low speed is at 60 degrees or so..

Connecting both the high and low speed brushes to power at the same time might not be a good idea..

I don't know enough about DC motors to be sure.. I wouldn't risk it without confirmation.

It could be absolutely fine...
        Nothing is so simple it can't be made more complicated

www.spiyda.com www.screwbank.com

Comment

Originally posted by Spiyda View Post
          Juat a word of caution..might need to rethink that.. I'm not completely sure that it won't have a detrimental effect on the motor in the long term.

The light switch will be powering both fast and slow wires when in the headlight on position..

both wires and the earth all go to carbon brushes..
          I think the high speed brush is opposite the ground brush and the low speed is at 60 degrees or so..

Connecting both the high and low speed brushes to power at the same time might not be a good idea..

I don't know enough about DC motors to be sure.. I wouldn't risk it without confirmation.

It could be absolutely fine...

low speed is opposite, high speed is a few degrees "advanced" giving higher speed but less torque i think lol. anywaysh connecting both is a no-no, you would need to incorporate a spdt relay to switch off the low speed brush when the high speed is engaged.
          [email protected] :)

Denis.

Comment

http://www.minimania.com/ArticleV.cfm?DisplayID=1446

check this out - we have hooked up like this, and it seems to be working well. As soon as this crappy snow goes ( 11 feet so far ), we may get a chance to try the wipers

Comment

Working...
            X