Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Watsons Vtec and Rover K series frames?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Watsons Vtec and Rover K series frames?

Has anyone else heard that Watsons are now doing Mini-based frames? The below photos I've got off a Facebook group, they show a Mini based tubular frame that takes Mini suspension but I don't know if it is for a standard length or a +90mm.

222119126_10159479305907594_4580717043422059005_n.jpg

221668075_10159479306307594_8965232458366829143_n.jpg

222124435_10159479306252594_5789185276459912930_n.jpg

221822157_10159479306002594_8497348785033954848_n.jpg

In this last photo it looks like it's running the tie bar running from the rear of the frame rather than from the front
    Last edited by Oz; 19-08-2021, 06:21 AM.
    Watsons frame in a standard length front, they said it was impossible ...

Build Thread - standard length round nose B series with Watsons frame, it is possible

Ooooh interesting! Will be keen to see how these handle the power compared to the metro frame.

Comment

first time on forums for a while , and i see this today hello all
      Mini Restoration on YouTube, donate to club running costs : [email protected]

Comment

Howdy doo Mr G, I hope your round trips to Yorkshire have been going ok

As for the way they handle power I would think they'll be like other Mini based frames. I personally think a suspension set up for a Mini frame to take Metro/MGF front hubs needs developing as these really do help.
        Last edited by Oz; 20-08-2021, 01:05 PM.

Build Thread - standard length round nose B series with Watsons frame, it is possible

Comment

Not a bad looking frame, shame there’s no provision for rubber cones though
          my build: http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4887
          https://youtu.be/X7O46JmFPh0

Comment

Originally posted by gazwad View Post
            Not a bad looking frame, shame there’s no provision for rubber cones though
            Yeah, I've never been a fan of Coilovers for a road car

Comment

At last Watson's have made a frame for the PG1 gearbox!

It looks tight enough to be for a standard length Mini. I assume the Facebook group this is from will be getting updated so keep us posted...
              If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

Comment

Originally posted by AGoaty View Post
                At last Watson's have made a frame for the PG1 gearbox!

It looks tight enough to be for a standard length Mini. I assume the Facebook group this is from will be getting updated so keep us posted...
                I'm not sure if there'll be updates, the original post was just by a poster who's having his car rebuilt (with a Broadspeed type rear end) by Watsons and using this new frame. I've not seen anything from Geoff about his frames and his website still only shows the Metro frame kits.

Comment

What FB group is it on Oz?

Comment

It doesn't look like a Watsons frame to me, certain aspects of the construction would lead me to think this, still interesting stuff

David

Comment

I have no reason to disbelieve the person who posted the photos, he's an ex-forum member and is having his car refreshed at Watsons who are also fitting the subframe. He posted to say that Watsons have been having trouble sourcing Metro frames so they have developped this new frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Oz View Post
                        I have no reason to disbelieve the person who posted the photos, he's an ex-forum member and is having his car refreshed at Watsons who are also fitting the subframe. He posted to say that Watsons have been having trouble sourcing Metro frames so they have developped this new frame.
                        Hey Oz I definitely can be wrong and often are, I'm still interested on any new take on the mini subframe and will watch with interest

Cheers
                        David

Comment

Just noticed something, did it start life as a frame for the Honda engine?

David

Comment

I don't really know anything else beyond what I've posted, which is taken from a post on a Facebook group

Comment

Originally posted by Minicooper View Post
                              It doesn't look like a Watsons frame to me, certain aspects of the construction would lead me to think this, still interesting stuff

David
                              It definitely is, I was there a few weeks ago, I didn't ask much about it though as I've already got extended front with the metro frame.

Comment

Working...
                              X