Welding Gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding Gas

Hoping someone can help, I've had a MIG welder for several years and have been using the small single use botles. I have recently been give an empty Co2 bottle but Im struggling to find where to get it refilled. All my google searches seem to lead to Hobby Gas and other suppliers that want to rent bottles. Is that the way it is now or are there still companies that will fill a customers bottle.

Cheers

Colin

You probably won't be able to get welding gas put into a CO2 bottle. Different types of cylinders with different fitting and valves for different gases. Here in the states at least, you just pay a bit more the first time for the bottle, then exchange it each time you get a full one. I would imagine it's similar everywhere.

Have you tried https://www.gas-uk.co.uk/rent-free-g...ing-gas#page=1
    Last edited by Red Riley; 22-08-2020, 09:53 PM.

Comment

I did have a bottle 20 odd years ago which had come from a pub. I took it to the local British Oxegen Company (BOC) and they sold me a valve and recharged it no problem, that was Co2 but I suspect the cylinders are exactly the same, just rated by their pressure capacity. Im just suspecting that the only option now is to rent the bottles from the supplier. The empty bottle I have now was given to me by someone that had used in for welding.

Comment

I think that CO2 is suitable for mig welding steel.

Comment

My local car parts place supplies 5% Argon gas for welding in a half size bottle for home use. It was £42 though.
          If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

Comment

Try hobby weld. Argon mix. All sizes, come fitted with regulator and no rental charge you just pay a deposit on the bottle. I’ve had mine 3 years. Not used it much.....

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow View Post
              Try hobby weld. Argon mix. All sizes, come fitted with regulator and no rental charge you just pay a deposit on the bottle. I’ve had mine 3 years. Not used it much.....
              Cheers, I did some more googling and Hobby Gas came up as did another company called Adams or Allens that also did the deposit thing, I think its looking like £110 for a 10 litre bottle and half of that is the refundable deposit on the bottle. Doesnt look like I will be able to use bottle I was gifted.hey ho

Comment

The Pub bottle you have is the same size/type that Hobby Weld use but it's not their's so they won't accept it in exchange. If I remember right I paid £42 for a refill bottle [5%Argon mix] and the deposit was [many years ago] £50. Just remember with any deposit you don't get the full amount back. They keep £20 "Handling Charge". They all do it. I've used Hobby Weld for 10 years now and, depending on the usage, a bottle will last you a couple of years. Just remember!!!!!!! When you're finished welding, turn the gas OFF at the BOTTLE otherwise you'll find a leak somewhere on your pipework and you can have an empty bottle overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by B.Bumble View Post
                  When you're finished welding, turn the gas OFF at the BOTTLE otherwise you'll find a leak somewhere on your pipework and you can have an empty bottle overnight.
                  Sage advice, DAMHIKT

Comment

Originally posted by B.Bumble View Post
                    The Pub bottle you have is the same size/type that Hobby Weld use but it's not their's so they won't accept it in exchange. If I remember right I paid £42 for a refill bottle [5%Argon mix] and the deposit was [many years ago] £50. Just remember with any deposit you don't get the full amount back. They keep £20 "Handling Charge". They all do it. I've used Hobby Weld for 10 years now and, depending on the usage, a bottle will last you a couple of years. Just remember!!!!!!! When you're finished welding, turn the gas OFF at the BOTTLE otherwise you'll find a leak somewhere on your pipework and you can have an empty bottle overnight.
                    I spoke to the local Hobby Gas supplier and its now £70 refund value £60) deposit and £50 for the gas, Co2 would and Argon mix would be cheaper but Im after pure Argon as Im told thats what I need for TIG.....not tried TIG yet so it could be an expensive experiment

Comment

Yes, the pure Argon is more expensive than the Argon Mix. I dug out my old receipt for 2013 when I first bought mine. It was £50 deposit and £29.99 for the gas. It's currently mid £30s for a refill of Hobbyweld 5 [5%mix]. Good news for me though, with the deposit going up, I've made a profit on my cylinder

Comment

I never really felt the need to get a big bottle when I did my car .. I only used a few bottles, but the ones i bought were double filled. Look the same as normal clarke type bottles. Not sure if people realise that some have more gas in them. Allowed me to do my frame which is 6 - 10mm thick in places and my bulkhead mods, which was a lot of thin sheet metal work.

Looking to start welding again soon, so I guess I will have to see if these extra filled bottles are available still.
                        Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                        (use Irish accent)

Comment

actually got that slightly wrong.. The CO2 is 154% 20200829_125203.jpg
                          Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                          (use Irish accent)

Comment

Originally posted by Coaster View Post

Cheers, I did some more googling and Hobby Gas came up as did another company called Adams or Allens that also did the deposit thing, I think its looking like £110 for a 10 litre bottle and half of that is the refundable deposit on the bottle. Doesnt look like I will be able to use bottle I was gifted.hey ho
                            Adam's are a company close to me, are you in the Thanet area? If by any small chance you are there is a company in Sandwich we rent commercial bottles from at work http://www.sipanalytical.com/

I have a pub bottle which I used to get refilled about 30 years ago and asked about getting it refilled, bottles have to now be pressure tested I think every five years, this is why they no longer refill bottles, SIP were happy to rent or sell me a bottle, can't remember the price though as I'm no where near ready to do any welding at home.

Comment

I got the empty cylinder via a Facebook Market Place add, free for collection so no loss there, the higher capacity single use bottles are interesting but you'd have the same issue as the smaller ones in not knowing the flow rate or pressure. I think Hobby Gas is my best bet as the gauges I bought in readiness will work with their bottles and theres a couple of stockist within reach up in Norfolk.

Comment

Working...
                              X