Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iva?

has anyone had to do one?,

what's invloved is it just an inspection to make sure the vehicle is safe and away you go or are there certain things which need to be changed (ie collapsible column etc)
    build diary - frame now in progress

A lot more then just an MOT, if your interested in getting one i would get a copy of the manual and have a look through it first. There is a lot more to it such as immobilisers, demisters, curve of interior and exterior parts etc
    Join me Rocking @ http://www.soundwavespahire.co.uk

Comment

I have a pdf copy of the IVA regs if you would like a copy its 286 pages send me a PM with your email and I will forward it.
      It would be nice to post the regs on the site but I have no idea how to do that.

I had a kit car SVA'd a few years ago, a 5 hour MOTon steroids, it failed first time on quite a few things, I had a round gear knob with an emblem on it.. it failed because the edge was to sharp, I fitted ford seat runners and used the ford mounting bolts…….. failed!!! the regs state larger bolts! My HT leads were not secured every 30 cm……. etc
      There is a way around the collapsible steering column but the details are in the regs.

All I can really suggest is read and re read the regs then refer back to them all the time.

Gavin

Comment

Originally posted by Mark D View Post
        A lot more then just an MOT, if your interested in getting one i would get a copy of the manual and have a look through it first. There is a lot more to it such as immobilisers, demisters, curve of interior and exterior parts etc
        Yeah I've found said manual and am about half way through reading it, according to the regs it only needs to sit a basic IVA and doesn't look all that complicated, there's a few areas that are a bit grey (like the fuel tank regs) but not found much else that'll be a problem so far

I'm gonna go through the regs and copy and paste the bits that apply to make a list of things I need to do to ensure it'll pass. Once done I suppose there's no harm in keeping a copy.

I spoke to the MOT tester I deal with just before christmas when I mot'd the mini and he didn't see a problem with just moting it but i'd rather follow the IVA regs just to be safe (I don't wanna have to do things twice!)

Just had a look at cost too, for a basic IVA (class A) ............... £450

Comment

IVA'ing a mini just have a look at the roof gutter, exterior door handles and fuel filler cap, will probably also need an immobilser.

I dont work with the IVA stuff but can ask the questions to those in the know!!!
          Join me Rocking @ http://www.soundwavespahire.co.uk

Comment

If the IVA regs on radii is the same as SVA (I'd assume it would be but I've not read the manual) then there are plenty of Z-cars Minis on new plates which retain both the external seams and the standard door handles - like this one for example. It doesn't have the external fuel filler but whether that's due to the regs or just the fact that it's in the other end of the car I don't know. I'd imagine an MPi tank with the shorter filler neck which was fitted to comply with newer regs may be enough to get through. The immobiliser is easy enough - just get a Thatcham Cat2 immobiliser fitted by a VSIB accredited installer (about £100) and show the certificate at the test.

Good luck with it,

JR
            My project - X18XE1 Clubman Estate rebuild and conversion thread

Comment

From what i've read I don't think a lot of it applies as the car is a rebuild not a newley registered vehicle.

but i've yet to finish reading it all............

Comment

Everything in the manual applies. I sva'd one and thought that because a lot of parts are standard mini then they would automatically pass. Failed first time on sharp edges on the grille. The tester pointed out that a standard mini would have been crash tested to ensure that the grille complied with all the regs. As this grille was not on a car built by rover and therefore not covered by their test's, it would have to comply with the sva rule's. The other option was crash test the car to prove that the grille edge wouldn't cut someone if you run them over.
                It's not as hard as people make out as long as you read the manual and use some common sense. If you are capable of building a 16v mini then you are capable of getting it through an iva.
                Also, it doesn't matter whether you register the car new or rebuilt. You still have the same test. Registration is dealt with by dvla where as iva is dealt with by vosa.
                This is what I built and had registered as new. Now on a private plate.

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                  Everything in the manual applies
                  not from what i've read, certain things only apply depending on the year, If you want to register as a new car then it's a different kettle of fish. I may be wrong but that's how the manual reads

I did think i'd only need to do a basic IVA but it needs both (basic and normal) , basic is apparently a visual check wheras the normal test also checks for compliance (Ie approved markings)

There are things that a standard mini wouldn't pass on though, one being the bulkhead between the fuel tank and passenger compartment, the bulkhead has to be sealed, on a mini it's like a cullinder

I want to build to the regs so that if I have problems (with the mot) it wouldn't take much work to get it through an IVA, Idon't fancy having to fork out £450 though (and £40 a retest )
                  philster
                  Last edited by philster; 17-01-2010, 09:45 PM.

Comment

I'm going to say what I'm sure a lot of people are thinking:

Don't bother with an IVA (why make life difficult?)

Myself and almost everyone else on here have just MoT'd the car, declared the mods on the insurance and driven the car without further ado!

Comment

Originally posted by Herman View Post
                      I'm going to say what I'm sure a lot of people are thinking:

Don't bother with an IVA (why make life difficult?)

Myself and almost everyone else on here have just MoT'd the car, declared the mods on the insurance and driven the car without further ado!
                      the regs changed in 09 (april I think), even minis with flip fronts may come in to difficulties

A lad off another forum took his mini for mot and the tester failed it cos it didn't have a fixed front and inner wings (structural mods to a monocoque) and reported it on the computer system so even if he went to another test station they'd have to fail it (or risk losing their operators licence), he had to change the front as it was a lot less hassle than going through an IVA, with a hybrid it's not that simple!

I don't intend sending the car in for an IVA unless there's no other option so may aswell build it to the regs just in case. The mot testers I use are old mates of my dads so I don't think i'll have a problem...........

Comment

yes phil your right i had loads of hassle with the mot over my flip front and it was bullet proof

Comment

Originally posted by patlink View Post
                          yes phil your right i had loads of hassle with the mot over my flip front and it was bullet proof
                          didn't realise you were on here pat

Comment

no worry matey
                            how is your build coming on?

Comment

not much to report, getting back on it this weekend

just been buying bits for it (got the bike carbs just waiting on the megajolt to arrive )

Comment

Working...
                              X