please don't moan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please don't moan

just spent ages doing the head gasket, water pump, radiator etc etc all back on the road.....now gearbox is playing up, after changing that tooso.....fed up and so looking for a toy until I can motivate myself again over the coming winter.......Want a rover metro 1.8vvc. Could just buy a metro and do it myself by stripping the mini etc, but may as well buy one already done just for a try out, before I decide to Love or List the mini. Will look on Metro forums and Retro rides etc but if anyone knows of a good one would appreciate a heads up.....Cheers.

Don't give up! 😎

Assuming you're running the PG1 gearbox, I can sort out whatever ratio choice you want with a reconditioned box and the most it will be is £200. Probably less to be honest.

We all get fed up of our toys from time to time but buying something else just means more trouble! 😶

Look at my advert in the for sale section. It has loads of options...
    If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

Comment

Thanks for that, wish I did have a PG1 but opted for the R65 and have regreted it ever since.......you'r right bout getting fed up with toys but just lately seem to get a hard on when I see some of those 16v Metro's out there and Think I need a change. maybe cos it's an easy swap, or can be ? and with a relatively cheap Metro I have almost everything I need for the swap. Trouble is, as always all the good ones seem to be either in Pasty Land ie Cornwall or North Yorkshire/North Wales and my weekends always seem to be chocker block with other stuff.
      The mini scene, whether standard or modified seems to getting more and more expensive as I speak, and just fancy a sleeper that looks like a sleeper to the untrained eye.
      For example ........just found a seemingly reasonably priced one in Cornwall.......with no MOT? .....how does that help me? or anyone else?
      Last edited by splintercat; 10-09-2020, 07:40 PM. Reason: additional rant

Comment

My only concern is most metro conversions use the R65 gearbox. Look out for one that's converted to PG1. It's basically all MG F stuff and not difficult.

I don't know where you are but getting a mate with a trailer to pick something up isn't usually too expensive. The ones without MOT are always cheap.

You could be worse and buy a Mini from Cornwall that did have an MOT and pay a good price for it. Fly down. Very dodgy drive home (bits fell off and brakes didn't work). Then strip it down to find massive holes everywhere in it and bodges galore. Who would do that???

Comment

See what you are saying, and agree, sort of. The prices of metro's certainly do seem to have rocketed up for whatever reason? Must have seen the ads for loads and am just not too sure which particular metro to go for, after trawling thro the many Metro build conversions to 1.8, it seems that everyone tends to be drawn to obviously the GTI's or GTA's which are obviously the more expensive......is that because one of the other things to do apart from the engine etc is to fit the front and rear anti-roll bars, which seem to be expensive in their own right or is it summat else? that I am missing? I know most of the conversions use the R65 box, but is that that just because it is easier? as I thought that if you wanted to use the PG1 box then you had to use a modified MGF rear subframe?
          Best I do a bit more research me thinks but struggling to find a comprehensive build diary on the conversion, unlike the massive selection we have on this forum or is it we are totally spoilt?
          most of them just list what mods have been done without too much detail. that includes looking on piston heads, metro power, mg metro, etc.

Comment

You need this, then everything will feel Just great... mg-metro-6r4-29.jpg
            Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
            (use Irish accent)

Comment

Originally posted by splintercat View Post
              See what you are saying, and agree, sort of. The prices of metro's certainly do seem to have rocketed up for whatever reason? Must have seen the ads for loads and am just not too sure which particular metro to go for, after trawling thro the many Metro build conversions to 1.8, it seems that everyone tends to be drawn to obviously the GTI's or GTA's which are obviously the more expensive......is that because one of the other things to do apart from the engine etc is to fit the front and rear anti-roll bars, which seem to be expensive in their own right or is it summat else? that I am missing? I know most of the conversions use the R65 box, but is that that just because it is easier? as I thought that if you wanted to use the PG1 box then you had to use a modified MGF rear subframe?
              Best I do a bit more research me thinks but struggling to find a comprehensive build diary on the conversion, unlike the massive selection we have on this forum or is it we are totally spoilt?
              most of them just list what mods have been done without too much detail. that includes looking on piston heads, metro power, mg metro, etc.
              You only swap the subframe gearbox arm from an MGF to the Metro to covert from R65 to PG1. Obviously then mounts, etc need to suit.

Comment

Must have looked at every single site out there. There are plenty of cars out there, most of them are ridiculously priced, and have been on their respective sale site for ages, despite lots of views, never a good sign, or, when looking at respective Mot history, you can see why they are being sold
                I initially wanted a car with an Mot, as it just makes it easier from all angles to have a test drive, before buying and actually getting it home, but with some that I have looked at and done a bit of history into I am now beginning to doubt even those.Legit or not.
                Still, Winter is coming, money is going to get a bit tight with Xmas looming, so there might be a bargain waiting round the corner if I can just be patient.

Comment

Working...
                X