Rover PG1 gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rover PG1 gearbox

I am building gearboxes for various different reasons and people. I have this gearbox which is ideal for our conversions with a wide range of ratios and a great cruising in 5th on the motorway. Using 13" wheels revs are at 3300 at 70mph. On 10" revs increase 100rpm.

I can also change the final drive from 4.2 to 3.9 if you prefer. This cruises then at 3000rpm at 70mph but does slow the acceleration slightly.

I have similar boxes on eBay for £150. Basically you need 2 to create this, hence the price.

Collection from Keighley or arrange your own courier. They are heavy and that means expensive to transport. Weight of box is 36kg plus packaging.
    If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

I thought I have sold this box 3 times now but I have been let down.

Having a bit of a tidy up. I have a few PG1 gearboxes in bits and can build whatever anyone chooses.

I know the C6 ratio box is popular on here. I have one which is checked and built correctly. I can guarantee this is right. £80.

Over the last few months I have built loads of these for people. You would not believe the faults I find inside them or find the box is a different ratio or final drive than what is sold to me.

Comment

Following on from this, I now have a variety of these PG1 boxes.

Done around 15 this year! Happy to chat about anyone's requirements with either boxes building or just parts supplied from them.

Currently have C4, G4 standard boxes.

Getting a C6 U spec box, ideal for higher powered conversions. I also have a set of S6 gears to make it cruise at lower rpm or achieve a higher top speed.

Always on the look out for LSD's. Get asked all the time for them.

I can now supply the steel caged bearings for the different9. A pair for £30 posted.

PM, What's app or text me, Andrew on 07811771396
      Last edited by AGoaty; 02-11-2019, 09:20 AM.

Comment

I currently have some PG1 gearboxes which may interest people on here.

A C6 ratio one but it's the high torque, U spec version. Ideal for turbo cars but can be used on any K series engine. This is great for all round use and I consider this a mid range box. Used by most people on here. Revs around 3500rpm at 70mph. SOLD

A S6 ratio one, also a high torque U spec version. Ideal for turbo cars but can be used on any K series engine. This great for anyone wanting to go on road trips as it reduced the 5th gear revs to around 3000rpm at 70mph. SOLD

I have the sought after C7 too, also a high torque U spec version. Ideal for turbo cars but can be used on any K series engine. This is built from a variety of boxes but it's here and can be built to your requirements. This revs around 3300rpm at 70mph. SOLD

These boxes are currently stripped and checked so a LSD could be added if needed. I recommend using the steel cage bearings on the diff. These add £30 a pair.

I have a C4 gearbox which is for fast road or track use. Not U spec. High revving but quick acceleration. Revs at 3800rpm at 70mph.

Last but not least as is popular for track use only, a G4 ratio, non U spec box. Revs are 4200rpm at 70mph.

Speeds quoted are using tyres 175 x 50 x 13. On 165 x 10's increase the revs by 100rpm to the quoted values.

Spares from these boxes are available too, just ask.

I have similar boxes on offer. Just ask.
        Last edited by AGoaty; 18-11-2019, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Just got some more!

A standard C6.

A U spec C6.

A standard S4

A standard G4. This I can raise the 1st and second gears if needed.

A standard C4.

Prices from £80.

All these are sold as stripped, checked and faults put right.

Always wanting LSD's for these boxes. PM me if you know where there is anything.

Andrew.

Comment

Although the boxes marked as sold in previous posts have long gone, I have all the parts to build anything required, even the 3.6 final drive box which are hard to find.

Just message me, Andrew.

Comment

Do u do automatic standard gearboxes for minis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Thank you
              Ayman

Comment

Originally posted by nerdymind View Post
                Do u do automatic standard gearboxes for minis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                No I don't. sorry. Only the Rover / MG ones.

Comment

Thanks
                  Thank you
                  Ayman

Comment

Just a preliminary enquiry, just bought a GTM running a 1.4K with an R65 currently running on 13" rims, but I have a 1.8VVC & a PG1 in the garage, which I hope to swap over sometime this summer, can you build a box suitable for that?

Comment

Originally posted by Phaeton View Post
                      Just a preliminary enquiry, just bought a GTM running a 1.4K with an R65 currently running on 13" rims, but I have a 1.8VVC & a PG1 in the garage, which I hope to swap over sometime this summer, can you build a box suitable for that?
                      I can build most ratio sets into the PG1. It really depends on it's use as to the ratios chosen.

I have a load of variations here now as buy stuff cheap to pass savings on.

New diff bearings and seals are used.

Andrew.

Comment

It's intended as a daily driver, but odd trackday which is probably the hardest combination, probably need guidance on what would be best Alan..

Comment

Originally posted by Phaeton View Post
                          It's intended as a daily driver, but odd trackday which is probably the hardest combination, probably need guidance on what would be best Alan..
                          So basically, low gearing and high revs for race cars, high gearing and low revs for a car going on long journeys.

The 1.4 isn't the most powerful of engines so keeping the revs reasonably high to keep things running nicely is key.

I have have a few options for you. Tried by a members on here for their own views. Revs based on using 175x50x13 tyres.

The ZR 160 close ratio box, code G4. It's the lowest ratio gearbox available and is only suitable really for track use as it's 4200rpm at 70mph.

The standard C4 ratio uses a 4.2fd. Gears 1 to 4 pretty close ratio but a tall 5th. Revs around 3800rpm at 70mph. Shown in this video. High revs but noisy on the motorway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P_s1pLXuPc

The standard C6 ratio uses a 3.9fd. Gears 1 to 4 pretty close ratio but a tall 5th. Revs around 3500rpm at 70mph. Run by Garv and Tom.

The custom C7 ratio uses a 3.6fd. Gears 1 to 4 pretty close ratio but a tall 5th. Revs around 3300rpm at 70mph. Used by Gazwad on a 1.8VVC and Charly on here with K turbo.

The S4 ratio uses a 4.2fd. Gears 1 to 5 even ratio. Revs around 3300rpm at 70mph. Built by myself on Phoenix with 1.8 VVC.

The S6 ratio uses a 3.9fd. Gears 1 to 5 even ratio. Revs around 3000rpm at 70mph. Used by Gerry on here on a 1.4 who does a lot of touring. Also chosen by Dan (but not tried it yet)! Shown in Phoenix on this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIvU0iabJc8

The S7 ratio uses a 3.6fd. Gears 1 to 5 even ratio. Revs around 28000rpm at 70mph.

My choice given what you say you want from the gearbox is the standard C6 but happy to build anything required.

I have all the parts here now for any combination if anyone else reading needs anything.

Any of the gearboxes I can fit an LSD into if supplied to me.

Andrew.
                          Last edited by AGoaty; 23-03-2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Well after trying to repair the linkage to the R65 box I think i'm going to have to go to the 1.8 & the PG1 quicker than expected as it's like a puddle stick in treacle trying to get a gear. Just need to get my finger out & rebuilt the 1.8 head

Comment

Hi Andy, very interested and will PM you

Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X