Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project pig. C16SE build.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Bulkhead now cleaned up and painted.

    Wheel arches all undersealed in thick gloop.

    subframe bolted into position

    As a little aside, i also fitted my private plate.

    Top arms incorrectly mounted - doh!

    I will swap these over tomorrow





    Comment


    • #17
      Quick update - ive had some spare time over the last few days.

      Al l brake pipes fabricated and installed
      Replaced the pedal box as the bulkhead studs were goosed.

      Servo / Master Cylinder mounted (finall fit) on the passenger side of the engine bay

      Clutch mechanism sorted - Cheers for the linkage minis84!

      The engine in the donor car has been completed disconnected and is ready for being taken out.

      All being well, i should have the engine swapped over on Sunday.

      Comment


      • #18
        Hurrah, the engine is in!












        Theres still plenty to do though

        Comment


        • #19
          well done mate , what you doing for the clutch setup ? as i see you still have the cable operated clutch.

          and dont forget to remove that PAS pump.
          Mini Restoration on YouTube, donate to club running costs : [email protected]

          Comment


          • #20
            Yes, for the clutch ive got the Allspeed bracket doofer which bolts to the bulkhead. It was only £50 which was a lot cheaper than converting it to hydraulic.

            I havent forgotten about the PAS pump - so dont worry! I just ran out of time

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by revingtosh View Post
              Yes, for the clutch ive got the Allspeed bracket doofer which bolts to the bulkhead. It was only £50 which was a lot cheaper than converting it to hydraulic.

              I havent forgotten about the PAS pump - so dont worry! I just ran out of time
              hydaulic is the way to go in the end mate .. but i ran that cable setup and it does work ... but you do get a better "feel" with hydraulic setup.

              Matt
              Mini Restoration on YouTube, donate to club running costs : [email protected]

              Comment


              • #22
                Ok, so here's this weekends progress...

                Braking system

                Allspeed Bracket final fitted - This has to be "tweaked" with an angle grinder due to fouling the air flow meter.

                Additional bracing has had to be added to stop it all flexing I bolted all this together rather than welding it.

                Master Cylinder Refitted and all connected up with new copper pipes
                Braided hoses had to be adjusted so as not to foul the driveshafts


                Engine and box are all bolted down on their mounts

                Allspeed driveshafts are all assembed and fitted

                Front "corners" all totally complete - ive even torqued up the wheel bolts, lol

                The rear engine mount / gear linkage was by far the most horrible, most twattiest thing ive ever encountered. In the end, i had to support the engine, remove the whole bracket, reassemble, then refit.

                PAS pump has been removed - Right MATTG?

                Ive managed to align the alternator up, trial fit, and marked up the Allspeed alty bracket. This will be getting welded tomorrow, then power coated on Wednesday hopefully.

                All in all, not a bad weekends progress considering im doing it on my Jack Jones!!

                Comment


                • #23
                  sounds good mate , these are cracking little conversions .... and as you can see . .can be done on your own with not much hassle.

                  get some pics up

                  Matt
                  Mini Restoration on YouTube, donate to club running costs : [email protected]

                  Comment


                  • #24









                    Comment


                    • #25
                      what do you mean you had to modify the pedal box thingy to clear the air flow meter ?

                      you dont have an air flow meter .. so i assume you mean the throttle body ? and if so you should not have needed to ....

                      how many shims do you have under the back mount ? it should be full of them (with a thick one ) and get the rear of the engine as high as possible ... (to the point where you cant get drive shaft / inner CV joint out without lowering engine ...

                      Matt
                      Mini Restoration on YouTube, donate to club running costs : [email protected]

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by MattG View Post
                        what do you mean you had to modify the pedal box thingy to clear the air flow meter ?

                        you dont have an air flow meter .. so i assume you mean the throttle body ? and if so you should not have needed to ....

                        how many shims do you have under the back mount ? it should be full of them (with a thick one ) and get the rear of the engine as high as possible ... (to the point where you cant get drive shaft / inner CV joint out without lowering engine ...

                        Matt
                        The throttle body plastic plug recess was hitting the brake linkage so i ground it back about 3mm to give extra clearance.

                        Yeah, theres about 6 to 8 shims in total underneath the rear mount Matt and thats including the really thick one.

                        The engine seems to be sitting OK, although i would say that the driveshafts popped in without having to alter the engines position.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          it could be worth making another thick shim i do sometimes ... see how it goes... it does give you some extra clearance in that area.

                          Matt
                          Mini Restoration on YouTube, donate to club running costs : [email protected]

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Following this thread with great interest Revingtosh, this is my future planned conversion, but making a home made frame instead of a ready bought one.

                            Looking good so far, keep it up

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Thanks for the kind words Soapsud!

                              If your a novice like me, i would seriously recommend buying the allspeed frame. The ballaching of making my own would have been unbearable.

                              If i can help in any way please feel free to ask. Mines taking ages because i rarely have the time to work on it (wife/career/playing drums etc - you know the score!)

                              Mike

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by revingtosh View Post
                                Thanks for the kind words Soapsud!

                                If your a novice like me, i would seriously recommend buying the allspeed frame. The ballaching of making my own would have been unbearable.

                                If i can help in any way please feel free to ask. Mines taking ages because i rarely have the time to work on it (wife/career/playing drums etc - you know the score!)

                                Mike
                                Cheers Mike, I appreciate the offer very much. It will be a fair old while till i start doing mine, but I will remember to contact you if I get stuck

                                I will hopefully have some free time next summer to get on with doing the conversion as I will have done my second year at Uni and will have a break between my work placement and the end of the academic year, so I will try and it ram it all in that gap! Or possibly this winter but it's unlikely.

                                Looking forward to your next update as always,

                                Carl.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X