XE project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XE project

Thought I may aswell start a build diary seeing as things have finally started.

This project is in its very early stages but i'm hoping to make lots of progress over the next few months.

The donor base vehicle is a W reg clubman with on 40K on the clock, unfortuantely the tinworm is well set in on the lower half of the car.

Having stripped most of the shell over the weekend there's quite a few good bits, all the metalwork around the windows is sound, bulkhead seams good as is the roof channel. The doors, bootlid and bonnet are also good (although the boot and bonnet may be replaced with FG)

Most of the work lies in the floor and sills.

First plan is to get the shell solid (minus the front which will be removable) and then go from there.

Gonna be on the lookout for a suitable donor from about april onwards (when I will have sufficient funds) and then the project can really start to take shape.

Here's some pics

The worst bits

The story so far

Last edited by Geehawk; 07-03-2011, 08:15 AM.
    build diary - frame now in progress

Got your work cut out there sir.

Comment

Originally posted by garyshoose
      Got your work cut out there sir.
      i've taxed worse, it's amasing what you find behind underseal

Comment

Okay yet another update, it's almost a bare shell now only the headlining left to remove and then I can attack it with the welder

Front subby removed

Pushed back in garage and rear subby removed

It's amasing how light a bare shell is, managed to get a pallet and some wheels (5 finger discount) so gonna get it thrown on there this week so I can get cracking, next job is to hack the front off I think.

Comment

but more progress

Got another hour in on it today and decided to chop the front off, this will give me more space in the garage to get the shell solid and also makes it that little bit easier to move about.

Found a few nasties but nothing I can't handle

Not sure what to do with the tops of the clubby style inner wings, think i'll have to make it look pretty once I have the front.

Here's some pics

Comment

Well not much progress since the last pics

However have ordered 2 new heritage floor pans/inner sills and 2 heritage outer (not over ) sills

Going to pick them up tomorrow

Comment

Just got back from moss in stockport, had to strap the floor pans to the roofrack on the mini

The floor pans are the later type fitted to injection minis, apparently they are supposed to be stronger? and also have an extra cut-out for the fuel lines. This will be handy for the fuel return and can also run the brake lines along the same channel.

Although they weren't cheap the quality is far betterv than the crappy hadrian panels, nearly twice the price though

Cut-out

So the time has come to attack the mini with the angle grinder

Comment

Will look good when done m8. Just brace it up well before cutting out..
                Ford Corsair 1966 3.0 V6

Comment

Thats one big job you got on your hands!!!

Comment

You've definitely made the right choice with the panels, the better quality the easier it is.
                    Standard Length C20LET - now front mounted turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkLD
                      You've definitely made the right choice with the panels, the better quality the easier it is.
                      I figured as patch the front rear and inner sill I may as well replace it all, do it properly and do it once (hopefully )

Comment

sorry to be cheeky but are you planning on refitting you inner wings, if not i would be interested in buying them off you. Cheers adam

Comment

I hacked the front off cos it was well rotten mate so the inners wouldn't be much use (plus I wasn't very gentle with the grinder )

Comment

Okay some progress, after a bit of debate (not a mass debate ) i've decided that a spit would be the best option to get the mini on it's side so I can do the floors.

Here's how far i've got with it, the tube through the legs is actually not the one i'm using (that's bolted to the mini )

Need to get some bigger tube so I can sleeve the bottom pieces and bolt it all together and then make a device for locking the spit in which ever position I want and it's done.

I have had it on the spit without the 2 bottom legs linked and it's about right with the height and it very stable side to side.

Will take another pic when it's finished (probably tomorrow)

Comment

Made a fair amount of progress today at long last

Here's some pics

mini on a spit , dad poking things with the screwdriver

Rust Rust & more Rust, the welding on the existing oversills was a bit dodgy to say the least!

After a bit of treatment with the grinder

And then some more with the grinder and a lot with the jigsaw, if it was a bini it would be a fred flintstone edition

New floor pan just popped in place to see how it looks.

Next up is to remove the rest of the inner sill, clean up the inside of the crossmember and paint it, then start fitting the new panel

Comment

Working...
                              X