1600 16v long term project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1600 16v long term project

I have been building this car on and off for about 8 years now with no end in sight for the near future either! I recently found some photos of how it looked when I bought it so thought I'd throw a project thread together, unfortunately there are some photos missing but you get the idea.

Anyway, how it looked when I bought her, a £50 minter

A few of the many scars of tin worm

The first of many replacement panel deliveries

Then began the long job of cutting out rust and replacing, I almost threw in the towel after months of this

At first my plan was to restore the mini to close to factory, I then thought that was too boring so the next plan was to build it with a few mods/fast road parts with a moderately tuned A series. I refurbished the subframes and began rebuilding.

After a break from working on it I needed some motivation, so after lurking in this forum for awhile I decided I would build a valver for track days & hillclimbs. So off came the front subframe and fabbed up a couple of bulkhead boxes

Went with a brand new Allspeed subframe, gave it a coat of hammerrite and transferred over the brakes, hubs etc from the old frame

Comment

Engine wise I wanted to go with a C16XE as I have rebuilt and played about with these engines in the past. Unfortunately when I was looking for one I could not get one for love nor money so landed up with a x16xe which I proceeded to strip down.

Looks like this was previously owned by someone scared of the loud pedal

Block cleaned, re-honed & skimmed along with standard pistons pocketed for high lift cams

Rebuilt with new shells and ARP big end bolts

Managed to get a hold of a C16XE ported and polished head with new valve train

Head & block built up with Newman cams which were then dialled in

Bought a small alternator off a Suzuki or dihatsu, the pulley was damaged on arrival though

Decided to machine a new one up on the lathe

All built up in the frame with gearbox and homemade alternator bracket, I have also modified the standard pedal box to use two horizontal master cylinders

Comment

Bought a set of 750 gsxr throttle bodies to use

Fabricated my own inlet manifold to suit the throttle body ports & head ports. A slight difference in port size between standard & my head

Thought I'd give fibreglassing a go and make some throttle body trumpets. I made a plug out of timber on the lathe

Not bad for first attempt, the chips are due to the difficulty in releasing from the plug

Made up a fuel rail out of a bit of aluminium

1 litre polo rad fitted -just

Comment

The last few days work - built up the throttle bodies and run in the fuel lines, radiator also plumbed in

Standard size front hides it all, just

Comment

Nice work. I've been on mine longer than I care to think about but the end is in sight! [emoji1360] keep it going.

Comment

your on it ,, like a car bonnet!!
              you havent filled in much about you, what do you do for a job?
              "yuck ,more like a 3 r2"
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tb261HwQNDQ
              SAY WHAT YOU BELEVE,,BELEVE WHAT YOU LIKE,
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk

Comment

Originally posted by ardonfast View Post
                your on it ,, like a car bonnet!!
                you havent filled in much about you, what do you do for a job?
                I work offshore, used to be a mechanic but now spend most of my time out there behind a desk off the tools!

Comment

Nice work Webster444 you have some good skills, keep up the good work and the updates, where about's in the shire are you? as I'm in Strichen.

Comment

Cheers! Im out the back of Inverurie at Meikle Wartle

Comment

Originally posted by webster444 View Post
                      I work offshore, used to be a mechanic but now spend most of my time out there behind a desk off the tools!
                      good job your off tools, makes you burn for this lol, worth poping into see
                      keithgadget,, compair notes ect
                      "yuck ,more like a 3 r2"
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tb261HwQNDQ
                      SAY WHAT YOU BELEVE,,BELEVE WHAT YOU LIKE,
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk

Comment

looking good
                        Mini Restoration on YouTube, donate to club running costs : [email protected]

Comment

Found out my original fuel tank is scrap so used that as an excuse to buy an aluminium one and got the fuel pumps and swirl pot plumbed in.

Bought myself a mini all in one dash, designed for bikes buy should do the job in the mini

Comment

I have the same Koso dash in my Mini. Works and looks great!
                            I have a cunning plan...

Comment

Latest update on the mini, made a fibreglass dashboard and switch panel which will allow me to crack on with the wiring.

Constructed the moulds from MDF and used body filler to get the radiuses, then varnished and coated with release wax

Black gelcoat applied

Couple of layers of fibreglass matting applied and cured

And the finished article, multi dash added to see how it sits. Switch panel still to be drilled for the various switches required.

Comment

Working...
                              X