Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnard
    replied
    Wow, 3 years!! No wonder I am feeling a little disheartened.

So ive been in the scene 10 years now, seen a few ups and downs. Finally the time has come for me to sell the car. I have learned a lot, made (and lost) some friends along the way, but ultimately has been an enjoyable time.

I am looking for offers in the region of £9,000. If this seems too high please do feel free to get in touch and tell me why as I am just guessing based on some others I have seen sell.

Spec will follow when I have had time to write it out complete.

Leave a comment:

• Burnard
    replied
    Right, I got a new camera for christmas, and I have made quite a few changes recently so it might be about time for an update soon!

Scrap that.

Since it is looking like new engine time I think i will start up a new thread when i have time and do one big update at the same time. (if thats okay with admin)

Happy New Year Everyone

Much Love,

Burny.

Leave a comment:

• alexcrosse
    replied
    Don't be so pedantic Chris, I was trying to help you out with the weight.

Pure aluminium is 2700, its an element. Any alloy used for a tank would be close enough to this. Who would use a high density aluminium alloy for a fuel tank??? It would cost a fortune and corrode instantly.

My point was, if you got 3kg, your maths was wrong. It didn't come out at 3kg because of the information I gave you.

I wasn't harsh in saying it, I just tried to help you out by showing some working.

Leave a comment:

• Burnard
    replied
    It isnt a fact though is it Alex, Its an assumption.
    You dont know the density because you dont know what the material is, All you know is that it is an Aluminium alloy. Which is all that I know too.
    We could assume that its 6061, which would make it 2720kg/m3, near enough to what you said, but some Aluminium alloys are as much as 2900kg/m3.

That is the reason why I said, based on the information that you gave me.

I forgot to add a thickness to the material, but I did make a guess for the sump and neck, Which judging by the joins is 1.5mm, That would give me 4.13kg. add the sender and I guess you would be looking at 5Kg all in.

My steel one is still in my loft so I may go an measure it at some point.

Leave a comment:

• alexcrosse
    replied
    Lol, 2700kg/m3 is a fact mate.

Take into account the baffles and filler neck / cap? What wall thickness? Id expect to see around 5kg or a little more.

I guestimated your tank at 0.9 x 0.4 x 0.15 (no idea) with 3 baffles and 1.2, got 4.18kg. So neck and sump, probably 4.6kg?

Steel is about 8000kg/m3, probably 10kg for a mini tank? Sure someone has weighed one.
    Last edited by alexcrosse; 28-08-2014, 10:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Burnard
    replied
    According to the maths, based on Alex's information anyway, the tank weighs 3kg all in.
    Im not 100% sure that is correct though.

Not totally sure on the mass of a standard tank.

Leave a comment:

• alexcrosse
    replied
    Density of ally is 2700kg/m3. Just treat each side as a rectangle and add them together. Then multiply by 2700.

Baffles & sump will help, also carbs have float chambers which take a while to empty. Tank looks good. Good size for a fast road & road trip kind of car.

Leave a comment:

• Burnard
    replied
    No I dont Pob, The tank has a sump built into it which is about 250ml, i have run the tank almost dry before and not noticed any issues. i have to say i think the sump works very well. The tank is also baffled too.

When i go to injection, i will be fitting a swirl pot though, partially because i think they are cool, but also because i do want to make 100% sure that i dont get any fuel surge issues to the engine.

Leave a comment:

• pob
    replied
    Do you have any issues with loss of fuel pressure during cornering due to the shape of the tank being flat and wide?
    Maybe foam fill it?

Leave a comment:

• Burnard
    replied
    Totally forgot about the weight of the tank till now the weight was not written anywhere and i cant weigh it now its fitted obviously

In other news, i was getting fed up with my rear wheel spacers because the design was shit, so now i have these:

They are actually hub centric and have holes the correct size so wont keep falling off when i take the wheel off and wont need holding in place while i try and put the wheel on unlike my current minispares ones. They are also lighter too.

I have some big plans for the car over the next year, mostly engine upgrades

Leave a comment:

• Burnard
    replied
    i didnt, but i do have the delivery info somewhere, with the weight on it.

haha, yeah, sure... lol

Leave a comment:

• Kam
    replied
    I like your thinking, just out of interest did you weigh your new tank (unlaiden of course) would be interesting to see how much it weighs against a standard lesser gallon model mini tank

And conveys yeah...we all know we all drive sensibly and save fuel with them around right

Leave a comment:

• Burnard
    replied
    Its twice that Kam, 10 gallons (ish) there or there abouts lol.

The thought was that its ally, so lighter than standard anyway, and i use this car mostly for road use anyway. If i take it on the track, to save weight its simple, put less fuel in! lol. the extra 2 gallons over standard should make up for the fuel consumption difference between mine and an average mini, so my range is the same, meaning it wont be me stopping the convoys all the time needing the fuel. simples

Leave a comment:

• Kam
    replied
    Very neat Mr B, nice work

How much does that hold, I'm hoping your gonna say more than 5 gallons

Leave a comment:

• Burnard
    replied

Inside the boot is now finished

Leave a comment:

Working...
X