No announcement yet.

Burnard's 998- 1600 8v build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not looking overly hopeful for MITP. Although thanks to dan, things are looking up.

The place i ordered my hoses from apprently take upto 14 days to deliver, i emailed them and they cant promise anything sooner.

Dan showed me somewhere that i can actually get the hose delivered next day (a company i had not heard of before)
    So assuming i can cancel my order from Viper, I will be in business.
    The only down side is that the hose will have to be blue, rather than black But that's not a huge deal considering that they are cheaper anyway.

ANDDD i gots me a new coffee table.
    Well, its an engine block.
    Originally posted by InstantCustard
    If the price is right and you stick to your word, I'd give you a go!

Comment

• I'm a hero!
      Hopefully that engine will be more reliable as a table!
      Originally posted by Burnard
      couldnt be bothered to stretch that far to pull it out.
      Originally posted by ardonfast
      Haz obviously don't like custard , my Mrs spits it out to!
      I love it

Comment

• well we already know that it does a better job of staying still than it does at going round...

I might make a plaque for it "kindly donated by Dan "Instantcustard" Spilling's right foot"

Comment

• Lol, RIP Henry ver.1.
          I love it

Comment

• technically that was henry v.2 You are now on v.3

Comment

I love it

Comment

• All up and running!
                See you guys tomorrow / sunday

Turns out that some of the horrible noise wasnt a tuning issue, but caused by a split in the back box, now welded up.

New fluo hose on the inlets
                Also opened the jets out to 1.7mm, Runs smoother, but I STILL have the spluttering issue at 4/5k rpm, so i am now thinking it may be electrical.
                Could it be plug gaps?

Comment

• So we have had a service, retarded the ignition, richened up the top end, leaned out the bottom end, and changed the rev limiter to hard cut.

Seems almost spot on now

All good for castle coombe

Will probably do a top end rebuild this winter, with a new cam, re seat the valves, and new valve stem seals. Will hopefully reduce the insane oil consumption.

Comment

• Just after a few opinions, there are a few things i want to do over christmas, mostly fix the niggles and alter the look slightly.

Just after an opinion, Should i remove the stickers from the sides of the car, or leave them there? They are all things i really do own, its not a shopping list btw.

Other things i want to sort:
                    Missfire (still)
                    Oil leak
                    Brakes (boiled them at combe!)
                    Move the fuel pump
                    Rewire the alternator so the kill switch actually works
                    Repair/ modify the exhaust for more ground clearance.
                    Actually fit a thermostat.

And one that im not totally sure is a good idea or not.

I am basically thinking of making the sump shallower for more ground clearance, which obviously means I will need to shorten the pick up pipe aswell. (I would take about 20mm out of it)

And at the same time baffle the sump, and fit an oil cooler.

I know I would have less volume of oil in the engine, but was thinking that the cooler would balance this out a tad, by increasing the volume and also cooling it, and also stop it from overheating.

Any input would be appreciated.

The reason for doing this is mainly for piece of mind, but also so that i can start work on a flat floor/ undertray and diffuser.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burnard View Post
                      Just after a few opinions, there are a few things i want to do over christmas, mostly fix the niggles and alter the look slightly.

Just after an opinion, Should i remove the stickers from the sides of the car, or leave them there? They are all things i really do own, its not a shopping list btw.

Other things i want to sort:
                      Missfire (still)
                      Oil leak
                      Brakes (boiled them at combe!)
                      Move the fuel pump
                      Rewire the alternator so the kill switch actually works
                      Repair/ modify the exhaust for more ground clearance.
                      Actually fit a thermostat.

And one that im not totally sure is a good idea or not.

I am basically thinking of making the sump shallower for more ground clearance, which obviously means I will need to shorten the pick up pipe aswell. (I would take about 20mm out of it)

And at the same time baffle the sump, and fit an oil cooler.

I know I would have less volume of oil in the engine, but was thinking that the cooler would balance this out a tad, by increasing the volume and also cooling it, and also stop it from overheating.

Any input would be appreciated.

The reason for doing this is mainly for piece of mind, but also so that i can start work on a flat floor/ undertray and diffuser.
                      I have a similar list. Do all the things you listed, Mod the sump, but is the oil getting that hot it really needs a cooler? I felt the same on mine - took her to SBD and they confirmed it doesn't need one. Is it the cooling system that is not coping? Running without a stat is not a good idea, better to put one on and drill some holes in it or run cooler stat like I do. Just ideas
                      Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                      (use Irish accent)

Comment

• If you put a thermostatically controlled sandwich plate in then it won't do any harm but will only give you the extra capacity when it's hot.
                        Originally posted by apbellamy
                        I've got 3 long studs in my hand.

Comment

• The reason for the cooler was the compensate for the lower volume of oil as i thought that it needed a certain volume to retain a temperature.
                          If thats not the case, then i wont bother with a cooler.

I only want to take about 20mm out of the depth so that the bottom of the sump sits above the bottom of the subframe.

The cooling system seems to cope pretty well now actually, although, i still dont have the fan set quite right, i havnt had any issues since fitting the vent.

Comment

• Well, for all of those who were helping, and trying to work out why it wasnt running properly. The issue seems to lie within the fuel pump.

I moved it into the boot today, and fitted an 8mm line.
                            For the first time ever, I have actually managed to move the point where the miss fire happens, its now more or less 6k RPM.

So I am going to buy myself a new, better fuel pump in the hope that it removes the problem entirely.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burnard View Post
                              Well, for all of those who were helping, and trying to work out why it wasnt running properly. The issue seems to lie within the fuel pump.

I moved it into the boot today, and fitted an 8mm line.
                              For the first time ever, I have actually managed to move the point where the miss fire happens, its now more or less 6k RPM.

So I am going to buy myself a new, better fuel pump in the hope that it removes the problem entirely.
                              Nice one. Is the misfire only under heavy load? and does it run ok again after 6000? Hopefully a new pump will sort it. I'm using a facet redtop, the cylindrical sort. Mounted under the floor of what used to be the rear seat. Mounted on rubber cotton reel mounts but still makes a proper racket when running!
                              "Simplify, then add lightness"
                              It's street legal if it can outrun the cops...

Comment

• Originally posted by XEValver View Post
                                Nice one. Is the misfire only under heavy load? and does it run ok again after 6000? Hopefully a new pump will sort it. I'm using a facet redtop, the cylindrical sort. Mounted under the floor of what used to be the rear seat. Mounted on rubber cotton reel mounts but still makes a proper racket when running!
                                Doesn't the redtop run at like 7psi, too much for carbs? Are you running a pressure reg?

Only ask as ive noticed mine leans out at really high revs (6k odd). My main jets are drilled plenty for a little 1.4, so wondering if its the pump.
                                Originally posted by apbellamy
                                Fuck me Shaun. That actually made sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X