No announcement yet.

Burnard's 998- 1600 8v build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The oil level was below minimum when i checked it yesterday. Ive topped it up to the half way mark and will be keeping an eye on it.

My plan is to get an oil catch tank, at the time, it seemed like an unessercery expense and i just wanted to get the car on the road. I want to fit a catch tank with plenty of ventilation and some extra pipes which will probably get done over Christmas.

I have noticed today a little smoke coming out of the breather filter on the top of the engine (blueish smoke) just after i have stopped driving, cant remember what this actually means... :/
    Originally posted by InstantCustard
    If the price is right and you stick to your word, I'd give you a go!

Comment

• I never said spend £800 on a rebuild did I?. Chris asked a question, and I gave what in my opinion was a decent reply. You've basically said sod it, put the bare minimum amount of oil in and leave it?. Theres so much bad advice here I can't really win, but I'll say what I will and leave it at that.
      Yes the dipstick is a guideline, so why not follow it?. If you're filling it to the MAX line, and next time you check your oil level and its dropped, its gone somewhere. It's the other end of some guys argument above, the MAX line is there for a reason. And quite how oil level affects oil pressure I do not know!!. The only "seals" I can think of thats only relevant to the original question, is the piston rings and valve seals, and are not subject to ANY high pressure oil. Otherwise it would be leaking all over the garage floor, which Chris said it isn't... A leakdown test would give you more indication on how bad the ring seal is.
      16v Minus Build Underway......

Comment

• Originally posted by HARBER07 View Post
        I never said spend £800 on a rebuild did I?. Chris asked a question, and I gave what in my opinion was a decent reply. You've basically said sod it, put the bare minimum amount of oil in and leave it?. Theres so much bad advice here I can't really win, but I'll say what I will and leave it at that.
        Yes the dipstick is a guideline, so why not follow it?. If you're filling it to the MAX line, and next time you check your oil level and its dropped, its gone somewhere. It's the other end of some guys argument above, the MAX line is there for a reason. And quite how oil level affects oil pressure I do not know!!. The only "seals" I can think of thats only relevant to the original question, is the piston rings and valve seals, and are not subject to ANY high pressure oil. Otherwise it would be leaking all over the garage floor, which Chris said it isn't... A leakdown test would give you more indication on how bad the ring seal is.
        Hey, I don't think we're saying your advice is bad. - A leak-down test is a good idea, if he was able to do one.

I think my way of explaining it was badly worded. I didn't mean the pressure the pump is flowing the oil through the galleries. - Not sure why it came out like that.

The higher the oil level, the greater the crank case pressure is. - Also, if the crank is in contact with the oil, it'll cause it to foam up, making it near impossible to circulate the oil to the key parts of the engine.

As engines age, seals become weaker, specially on an engine that could be almost 20 years old. - These seals are vulnerable to both oil and crank case pressure.

Having your oil level on the low mark is perfectly fine, if you have the advantage of an oil pressure gauge, you can ensure your pickup is getting the correct amount. - Just don't use the pressure gauge to keep up with oil level, that's what the dipstick is for.

Regardless, it's common for old engines to burn or lose a lot of oil when the level is high, it's also possible for this loss to stop once the engine is at it's most comfortable level.

On an engine of this age, it can be much cheaper to buy another engine than it is to tear it down and replace a load of parts.

Again, with all this, appropriate diagnosis needs to be taken before deciding your route of action.
        Past; 1992 Rover Mini Spite 1275, 1996 Vauxhall Corsa C20XE.
        Present; 1994 Suzuki Swift GTI, 1996 Vauxhall Corsa C20XE.
        I only bow under braking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaison View Post
          I've had a few engines that would really scare me with oil use. - I'd fill them to the top line and a week later it'd be at the bottom line. . . With one car, it got to the point once where I was too broke to top it up, kept driving it and the level didn't move. . . turned out that this top line was too high for the engine, as the oil pressure raised above the limit it liked, the oil bypassed seals and either dripped out or got burnt
          ^^^^ Don't know about you vauxhall guys but on the honda (allspeed setup) the engine does not sit level as it does in the donor car so you can't follow the dipstick rule precisely as the engine is very slightly tilted forward so the inlet gets raised a tad, in the honda it sits perfectly flat, another honda based frame has it sitting more flat like the donor car...

I know Mr B's one is a sohc but how level do they sit compared with the donor car? Just another thing to look at
          My mini has got nothing to prove so nothing to lose

Comment

• Originally posted by tomfc View Post
            Wow ardonfast does give out some shite advice, iv read it on here a fair few times, and though he should not be telling people what to do, im glad your not anyone i knows mechanic!
            lol just think of me as the last resort,,bit like acupunture/ im not even a mechanic,,hope this works out
            "yuck ,more like a 3 r2"
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tb261HwQNDQ
            SAY WHAT YOU BELEVE,,BELEVE WHAT YOU LIKE,
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk

Comment

• get the original breather hoses back on there mate, the different breathers over the engine blow and suck against each other to equalise I believe, so running a filter to atmosphere will not help. Because they are quite long stroke engines they will throw a lot of air around the crankcase too. There is quite a lot of restriction in those filters too, catch tank would be best, even a plastic bottle and stick the tubes in.

Also, the drainage in both the 16v and 8v heads is absolutely awful, you have to leave it a long time before the oil will drain back into the sump, maybe due to roughness inside the block too. So make sure you don't check the oil after running it and judge it off that.

As for running it on the minimum - these engines should happily run with the oil level anywhere between the lines, if they don't and are using oil then in my opinion I would find the problem, rather than running with low oil to get around it. Big up Tom - recognize brap brap... lol.

Comment

• I dont have the original breather hoses, they didnt come with the engine.

Dont suppose you have a diagram of how it should be done?
                All i can really understand from what you've said alex is that i need more crank case ventilation...

So... Update...

After the weekend and running 3 very consistent runs (best of 16.5 @ 80mph) i have decided i only have about 100bhp. obviously, this is not enough!
                Although, in our best of three between me and wet mustard i won! :P

The plan now, is still pretty much as it stands, with a few exceptions.

I want to get some bigger wheels for the front for when it goes on the strip...

Im still planning on a better cam and a head rebuild, then rolling road.
                I am seriously considering getting an inlet manifold professionally made, it will probably make a big difference, and also a better exhaust system (simpson racing like dans maybe)

I am hoping that with all that i can get down into the low 15's or even the 14's.

Btw, does anyone know how i can check what my compression ratio is?
                I am possibly looking at some forced induction.... probably by way of a super charger

Update on the oil situation... It didn't seem to move much when i checked it before i left pod, and i haven't looked since.

On the way home my jealous mates wouldnt let me over take!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Burnard View Post
                  Although, in our best of three between me and wet mustard i won! :P
                  But on the one that I got right, I won! :P

Originally posted by Burnard View Post
                  I want to get some bigger wheels for the front for when it goes on the strip...
                  I have a spare set of 12 x 5.5's or 13 x 6's when your ready.

Originally posted by Burnard View Post
                  and also a better exhaust system (simpson racing like dans maybe)
                  Get saving copycat! But seriously, worth every penny!
                  Originally posted by Burnard
                  couldnt be bothered to stretch that far to pull it out.
                  Originally posted by ardonfast
                  Haz obviously don't like custard , my Mrs spits it out to!
                  I love it

Comment

• Have a look on Nova/Corsa B forums (OK, it should say 'fora' but it looks wrong).

The standard crankcase breather system is pretty simple on them though. The open vent you've got is probably where the oil's going to (if anywhere). Good pics mate, is that a Hidson you're following?

Comment

• In terms of checking your compression ratio, it's going to be a calculation based on assumptions. Are all the parts standard (head chambers, pistons etc)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaison View Post
                        I'd agree there with Ardon. . .
                        I've had a few engines that would really scare me with oil use. - I'd fill them to the top line and a week later it'd be at the bottom line. . . With one car, it got to the point once where I was too broke to top it up, kept driving it and the level didn't move. . . turned out that this top line was too high for the engine, as the oil pressure raised above the limit it liked, the oil bypassed seals and either dripped out or got burnt.
                        Yes maybe those seals needed replacing, but the engine maintained decent power levels and returned expected mpg and ran for 30K miles in my possession without ever leaking or burning excess oil, and as far as I know it kept going with the new owner.
                        Me too in my vauxall sri (1986) turned out that the dipstick holder was not pushed down far enough into the block so every time I filled it up to the max level marker, it was actually over full. I just left it and checked every 1000miles or so after and it never hardly moved..

Comment

• http://chainganger.co.uk/Page2/Page2.html

This may help you work out compression ratio.

Good Luck!

Lee

Comment

• The block is standard, but the head has been worked.

To be fair, you may remember i dropped the block at one point and it fell on the dip stick pipe (bent it) so i have pulled it out and bent it back then refitted it, so in all fairness, it might not be right down! i forgot about that Guess i might run it 'low' and keep an eye on it then....

And yer, its ben hidson, how did you know that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Burnard View Post
                              And yer, its ben hidson, how did you know that?
                              Ben's 205 looks even better in another country

How you getting on with this Mr B? given up or gearing up?
                              My mini has got nothing to prove so nothing to lose

Comment

• Doing other things, used the car twice in a month!! not great

Taken up rock climbing, and also doing alot of down hill / trail riding, pretty much every weekend.

(can only use the green rocks )

Its going to be at coombe, then will be spending some money on a new cam and trying to sort out this oil burning issue.
                                Also want to get a new (properly made) inlet manifold, and an exhaust (can wait a bit longer for that)
                                Then obviously want it rolling road tuned then i can happily say it is finished.
                                The car honestly does do what i built it for, i can just jump in it and drive it fast, so long as when i get out i check the oil level haha. I just wish it was as fast as i was expecting (at the pod) so im going to make it that fast (aiming for a 15sec 1/4)

Might change the harnesses for orange ones if i see some though.
                                Last edited by Burnard; 17-09-2012, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X