No announcement yet.

Burnard's 998- 1600 8v build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im still finding that its loosing alot of oil, but there are no drips in the garrage :S

I can only assume its burning it.

When i did the compression test, i put a bit of oil in the cylenders, but it didnt change the reading... Does this mean that it is probably just the valve stem seals?

Its burnt about a liter just going from my house, to santa pod (not raced), back, and out a few times in the week, probably 2 tanks worth of fuel!!!
    Originally posted by InstantCustard
    If the price is right and you stick to your word, I'd give you a go!

Comment

• Welcome to the workd of Vauxhall engines!

Does it not give any signs of smoke at all?

Are you running any kind of crankcase ventilation system?

Comment

• no smoke? good oil presure? [no problem!! ,dont run on full dip stick,, just obouve minimum,,
        "yuck ,more like a 3 r2"
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tb261HwQNDQ
        SAY WHAT YOU BELEVE,,BELEVE WHAT YOU LIKE,
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk

Comment

• doesnt seem to smoke that i have seen or anyone has mentioned to me.

its got ventalation... was thinking of giving it a bit more just to be safe...

Comment

• sure the hungry must be fed!! the minimum mark is safe even under its safe,,put it to the test,
            "yuck ,more like a 3 r2"

Comment

• ^lol, just fill it to the max line and stop fannying about. Do a leakdown test dude, its at least slightly more helpful for diagnostics. Any signs of oil in the exhaust pipe?. How is your crankcase ventilation plumbed?. As the 16v heads (at least on big block) can suffer from surge quite badly!.
              16v Minus Build Underway......

Comment

• the vent just comes out the top, and into the pipe which just leads down under the engine (open vent) and the vent you can see on the top ....

And i dont have a leak down tester
                Last edited by Burnard; 10-08-2012, 08:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HARBER07 View Post
                  ^lol, just fill it to the max line and stop fannying about. Do a leakdown test dude, its at least slightly more helpful for diagnostics. Any signs of oil in the exhaust pipe?. How is your crankcase ventilation plumbed?. As the 16v heads (at least on big block) can suffer from surge quite badly!.
                  technically 100% correct,, in day to day want to use practicalaty,100% wrong
                  Last edited by ardonfast; 10-08-2012, 09:44 PM.
                  "yuck ,more like a 3 r2"

Comment

• How?.
                    16v Minus Build Underway......

Comment

• is this a serch to find out were the oil is going to?? leak down tests, o,m,g get the spanners out again ,take engine out knew rings/rebore valvestem oil seals guids,, 8oo notes later = technically correct] fine. but if he wants to go to santapod without useing a litre of oil,, i sugested running at minimum.keep an eye on it,, old engines with breathing issues dont want oil slaping up all over the place,100% practical
                      "yuck ,more like a 3 r2"

Comment

• I'd agree there with Ardon. . .
                        I've had a few engines that would really scare me with oil use. - I'd fill them to the top line and a week later it'd be at the bottom line. . . With one car, it got to the point once where I was too broke to top it up, kept driving it and the level didn't move. . . turned out that this top line was too high for the engine, as the oil pressure raised above the limit it liked, the oil bypassed seals and either dripped out or got burnt.
                        Yes maybe those seals needed replacing, but the engine maintained decent power levels and returned expected mpg and ran for 30K miles in my possession without ever leaking or burning excess oil, and as far as I know it kept going with the new owner.
                        Last edited by Kaison; 10-08-2012, 11:37 PM.
                        Past; 1992 Rover Mini Spite 1275, 1996 Vauxhall Corsa C20XE.
                        Present; 1994 Suzuki Swift GTI, 1996 Vauxhall Corsa C20XE.
                        I only bow under braking.

Comment

• Wow ardonfast does give out some shite advice, iv read it on here a fair few times, and though he should not be telling people what to do, im glad your not anyone i knows mechanic!

Comment

• What's wrong with it?
                            As long as you monitor your oil levels, the dipstick is just a guideline, and as such the "low" mark does have some tolerance of how low it can be.

There is NOTHING wrong with having your oil level on the low section of the dipstick.
                            If your fill your engine up with oil and it sits at the high point. - You then drive it for a short period of time and you realise that level is noticeably lower, then it needs investigation.
                            All the while that level is within the dipstick "tolerance", you're fine.

Once you've done a compression test which indicates decent results and your level has stopped dropping any lower, this is the level at which your engine is comfortable with holding oil. Any higher and it seems you may have windage issues, the oil could be forced out the breather, forced into the combustion chamber or out the crank bearings and it could be leaving through the valve stem seals.

It's common for seals to go on old engines and Vauxhall have a habit of losing oil. High oil pressure can cause oil to flow through seals and in an engine like this, it can be cheaper to get another engine than to rebuild the engine and change all the seals and bearings, etc.
                            Past; 1992 Rover Mini Spite 1275, 1996 Vauxhall Corsa C20XE.
                            Present; 1994 Suzuki Swift GTI, 1996 Vauxhall Corsa C20XE.
                            I only bow under braking.

Comment

• If it was too dangerous to run the car at the minimum line then the manufacturer wouldn't have put the line where it is, it would be higher up the dip stick.
                              I say go with it, just monitor your level.
                              Leave it at min and check the level on the way to pod, I probably wouldn't wait until you get to pod if you can help it.
                              See you this afternoon!
                              Originally posted by Burnard
                              couldnt be bothered to stretch that far to pull it out.
                              Originally posted by ardonfast
                              Haz obviously don't like custard , my Mrs spits it out to!
                              I love it

Comment

• Originally posted by Burnard View Post
                                the vent just comes out the top, and into the pipe which just leads down under the engine (open vent) and the vent you can see on the top ....

And i dont have a leak down tester
                                When you get a chance, it might be better to run the crank case ventilation pipes to a large oil catch tank and keep it fairly high up in the engine bay. This then needs the filter on this ( enough filters to allow it to breathe). Then you can check whether / how much is being ejected from the crankcase and it will be better than open vent down the back of the engine. Not sure that 1/4 mile organizers like that sort of arrangement.
                                Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                                (use Irish accent)

Comment

Working...
                                X