No announcement yet.

Birdman's Back To Front XE Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats to a running engine, great feeling, first testdrive tomorrow?
    Best of luck.

/ Erik
    My XE build (in swedish)
    http://www.hundkoja.com/j/f/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6628

Comment

• Originally posted by Mini Vlatko View Post
      Well done mate!
      Bet your grin is ear to ear
      Waiting that video
      Yes thanks Vlatko. I was v happy. Next job is to get a radiator on her so I can run the engine up to temperature.
      Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
      (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Originally posted by cooper_mark View Post
        well done mate it's a wicked buzz when u first hear it run.......
        i was smiling from ear 2 ear (just like xmas day as a kid)and shaking with excitment when i heard mine start for the 1st time
        just need a vid now.....
        Cheers Mark. I was just running around making sure nothing was melting and that fuel wasn't leaking out. I'll hopefully get a radiator on her today to get some proper running time on the engine. I think I will invest in a cool running thermostat. Oh and exhaust wrap needed now.

I've never done a video before. I've got video on the digital camera, so maybe that is the best bet. God knows how to up load it though.
        Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
        (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Originally posted by blacksaabrules View Post
          Congrats to a running engine, great feeling, first testdrive tomorrow?
          Best of luck.

/ Erik
          Thanks Erik. To be honest the first test drive will probably on the way to an MOT test as the car is SORN. I will try to get her completed over the next couple of weeks, because my insurance and Tax on my daily "run about "finishes at the end of this month, so this would be the best time to start driving the Mini on the road.

Using her as my only car is going to be interesting, but I do very little mileage these days.
          Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
          (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Top job
            Bet you cant wait to drive it now
            Carbon'72 C20XE

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdman View Post

I've never done a video before. I've got video on the digital camera, so maybe that is the best bet. God knows how to up load it though.
              send me the vid and i'll upload it for u
              Think Twice Before Passing This Mini.....It Could Make U Look F**k**g Silly.....

my beast

Comment

• Originally posted by cooper_mark View Post
                send me the vid and i'll upload it for u
                Might be a few days. Shes fighting me all the way. Just filled her with water and rigged up the rad hanging out of the front. Immediate thermostat leak. Water everywhere. Went back to old thermostat and now leaking where the housing meets the head. Exhaust needs wrapping ASAP and I'm sure the Alternator is getting too hot - not from exhuast though.

Back in a bit - got to tidy and put her to bed ...
                Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Right I will hopefully take off the whole thermostat assembly from the head tomorrow. I bet it will all need renewing. If it does, I'm thinking about getting the cool running thermostat setup from SBD, which I think includes everything not just the stat and outlet. They do one that opens at 72 degrees. Other cool stats open at 82 rather than 92 degrees. Is 72 opening too early for a road car?? I suppose I'll talk to them about it. If that solves all the leaks then I'll get some exhaust wrap.

The heat in the Alternator casing seems to be too much. I can only guess either I haven't wired it properly, ( but I followed the diagram see pic and the digi dash is reading approx 14v) or it is not straight and and creating heat ( doubtfull) or I need more earths on the engine and it is trying to use the Alternator to ground the system? Anyone got any advice, I'm thinking it's the last guess.

The tank didn't make noises tonight, but the fuel pump is v loud.

Once I can get these issues resolved I hope to be able to run the car up to temperature. At the mo she is running rich and I can't breathe. Wow there is a lot to achieve in a couple of weeks.
                  Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                  (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Is the alternator new one was thinking the bearing could be worn. I wouldn't have thought It would be the earth.
                    Craig

Comment

• Originally posted by dig-mini View Post
                      Is the alternator new one was thinking the bearing could be worn. I wouldn't have thought It would be the earth.
                      Craig
                      Brand new Nipon Denso 40 amp small one. Pic of the wiring diagram for the plug I used from off this forum:

I don't think its the bearing it spins lovely and I haven't really put much tension on the belt yet. I think I will put another earth between frame and body anyhow and see what effect it has. I'm just thinking of instances where cars havent had sufficient earthing and they have tried to earth through the starter motors, causing them to get pretty hot.

More investigation required for sure.
                      Attached Files
                      Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                      (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Slightly worrying about the alternator getting hot as I got mine from the same place, let’s just hope it’s a earthing problem and it resolves the over heating.

Nathan

Comment

• Originally posted by 1WHEELKING View Post
                          Slightly worrying about the alternator getting hot as I got mine from the same place, let’s just hope it’s a earthing problem and it resolves the over heating.

Nathan
                          Yeah I had a look on the web this morning and these denso's dont have a dedicated earth so that might be something to do with it. It looks like I'm wired up OK.
                          Looks like all my issues are in the same area - thermostat housing, exhuast manifold and alternator.
                          Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                          (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Originally posted by strudel View Post
                            Hey guys,

Just curious if you would know what a Corsa B or C power steering unit would be called over the pond in Canada/USA. That would be a Ford system I assume and would you know what that particular model might be called here as I don't believe we have Corsas. Thx, JS
                            Strudel, if you haven't found something already, you might check out the Chevy HHR and Cobalt. They have electric power steering.

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdman View Post
                              Yeah I had a look on the web this morning and these denso's dont have a dedicated earth so that might be something to do with it. It looks like I'm wired up OK.
                              Looks like all my issues are in the same area - thermostat housing, exhuast manifold and alternator.
                              what do you mean? do you mean that its the heat from something else getting the altenator hot. I to have the same one where did you get the plug for it?

Comment

• Silly question but surely the alternator would just earth through its mounting bolts wouldnt it?
                                16v completed 500miles done no problems to report.
                                Now to crack on with the T4 camper!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X