No announcement yet.

Birdman's Back To Front XE Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car looks great, glad to see you're getting it back on the road. Shame I can't pop down for a look even though you are in walking distance!
    my build: http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4887
    https://youtu.be/X7O46JmFPh0

Comment

• Thanks Gary. A clean up and wax certainly helped. Yes it's a nightmare this social distancing. I had to go into hospital for tests yesterday, so I will be keeping away from people for a while. The plan was to go to as many motorsports / motoring events this year, but that dream is pretty much gone. I will investigate inside bottom of engine, but it may all have to come out again, in which case I will recondition the whole engine. Everything a bit tricky during these times.

I am making more progress on the other build and did some tube chopping. I have been getting the engine and gearbox positioning sorted so that I can do engine and trans mounts, but need some driveshafts to be certain for my rear trailing arms attachment points. It all fits, just want to not build in future problems, so positioning for maintenance access , driveshaft angles etc going on. Will break out the welder and start a build diary soon.
      Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
      (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Engine bay shot for Vlatko. 20200412_114806.jpg
        Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
        (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Glad to see you still have it and its looking stunning! Are you still living in Surrey or have you moved on?

Comment

• Thanks mate. The car will need a couple of little body work jobs soon as it's on the original paint, but only 11k miles in it's life.
            I moved away. Did you finish your XE conversion? I can't remember now...
            I'm doing a crazy project again and it's in other hybrid builds.

Hope you are keeping well.
            Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
            (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Yeah mines all done. Pulled it apart again in 2018 to paint everything and fit atb diff. Got it back on the road May 2019 for L2B. Been doing little jobs on it since then really.

just had a look at your Saab turbo engine build diary... wow that's going to be good fun down the strip! Will have to keep popping back on the forum to see how it's progressing 👍

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdman View Post
                Engine bay shot for Vlatko. 20200412_114806.jpg
                Cheers mate!
                Nicely squeezed in!
                Quickly now, before I think it through!
                https://www.facebook.com/BrutalacGarageProjects

Comment

• Yeah. This was a stealth build, so had to be tight. Didn't want people to be able to tell with bonnet shut. Revised suspension pick up heights and dialling out bump steer allowed standard length and no nasty bonnet bulge stuff.
                  Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                  (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Originally posted by 1WHEELKING View Post
                    Yeah mines all done. Pulled it apart again in 2018 to paint everything and fit atb diff. Got it back on the road May 2019 for L2B. Been doing little jobs on it since then really.

just had a look at your Saab turbo engine build diary... wow that's going to be good fun down the strip! Will have to keep popping back on the forum to see how it's progressing 👍
                    Yep, that's the plan. It will take a while, like most creative builds. I thing strip work will be good, but may need wheelie bars. Track handling, we will have to see really...
                    Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                    (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Slight update: got some GSXR750 ITBs coming, so will be having a play with those over winter, see if it can be a good thing. Will have to get Programmable ECU as wel. I'm thinking PnP one speeduino in exact casing and original connector that fits my motronic system.. Would keep it much more simple. Planning an engine refresh, change of master cylinder for increased front brake pressure, reduced spring rate for the front and various other small things.. Hope to get her back on road for next years events
                      Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                      (use Irish accent)

Comment

• ITB's turned up. On a Zetec flange at present. Gave them a clean up. Will need a manifold solution and will use the std XE Injectors in normal GM position / fuel rail probably. Going to fit my larger bore 4-2-1 Exhaust manifold also as part of the upgrades for next year. 20210920_175310.jpg 20210920_175320.jpg 20210920_175443.jpg 20210920_181247.jpg
                        Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                        (use Irish accent)

Comment

• They taper from 48mm to 43mm at throttle plates. Should be a healthy reduction in weight over the standard induction.
                          Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                          (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Took a gamble and won a Megasquirt ecu on Ebay. It is wired up for C20XE / C20LET with main harness connector and has built in MAP sensor. I believe from reading, I will use TPS, Engine Speed and AlphaN to control main fuel and ignition. Think I will need a trigger wheel at some stage. All new territory to me...
                            Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                            (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Good to see that you give it some upgrades, went through the build pages and it's a nice looking car. Well Done!

Comment

• Thanks Dobey. Have to see how we go with it. I was reading Megasquirt manual yesterday and it's quite a lot to take in.. Trying to work on two cars at the same time may also be a silly idea. I will start chopping up some metal for Saab Mini frame today.
                                Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                                (use Irish accent)

Comment

Working...
                                X