Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ardonfast View Post
    well done for attending, so your narrowing down the jobs,
    whats the gears doing? whats the nos like?
    and the curves sound grate,,
    Yeah it's all learning Shaun, but it's just good to get out in the car.

The FD in my car is the tallest as you know and then add the bigger rolling circumference of 185 55 13s which makes it a brilliant dual carriageway and motorway car. 80mph is 3000rpm in 5th. This is far from ideal for dragging, but the plan was to drop from 3.57 to 3.74 FD, but that boxes pinion was knackered. It's getting hard to find the WR diesel gearboxes now and the other thing is that I quite like the high gearing I have for the road.

My car does not like B roads as discovered on a different route home in convoy with other members. Stiff coilovers and little bump and rebound, make for crashing over bumpy surfaces.

The Nos did work and I felt it, but at the initial 25hp jets it is pretty tame as I ran it by the controller. So that increase comes in over 2 seconds activation. Due to the gear selection / engine movement, I didn't really get much advantage.

I haven't yet looked at the car properly but am sure the engine is moving down low as I noticed the rear silencer has popped off one of its hangers.
    Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
    (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Yep looks like the rear mount by the differential may have failed internally as it seems out of line. So I'll get possibly a HD Ford one or another V8 one. Should be easier to replace than the others.

Just shows that the diff and tyres are gripping, hence the hard launches.
      Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
      (use Irish accent)

Comment

• HD Ford RS2000 Rally mounts have arrived. Lets hope that sorts things. Also got my new Sportspack rack . Need to get a wriggle on....
        Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
        (use Irish accent)

Comment

• New mount installed, without having to take out drive shaft and all manner of other hassle. It had failed. Still seems to be slightly more play than I had before, but need to sneak a test drive this weekend.

Dithering over steering rack replacement. I am praying that I can do this without disturbing the subframe. Progress has been slowed by more house building work and picking up a couple of injuries.
          Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
          (use Irish accent)

Comment

• OK, gear selection issues are worse than ever. Just don't know what the hell is going on. All I can do is to mark the selector rod with white paint to see if that is slipping, look at all other engine mounts and take of gear selector turret from gearbox. Was almost going into reverse after max revs in 2nd yesterday. It's like a magicians hat gone wrong, I don't know what gear will be selected next? HELP / IDEAS MITP is coming fast?
            Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
            (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Is this because you can't set the selector rod from the gear stick to the gearbox?

Originally posted by Birdman View Post
              OK, gear selection issues are worse than ever. Just don't know what the hell is going on. All I can do is to mark the selector rod with white paint to see if that is slipping, look at all other engine mounts and take of gear selector turret from gearbox. Was almost going into reverse after max revs in 2nd yesterday. It's like a magicians hat gone wrong, I don't know what gear will be selected next? HELP / IDEAS MITP is coming fast?

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulW View Post
                Is this because you can't set the selector rod from the gear stick to the gearbox?
                Hi, I reset that as per the Haynes manual each time it goes wrong, but didn't think to drip some paint onto the clamping area. Each time It's OK again, but during hard launches and spirited driving, the gear selection starts to go up the creak again. I think I'll have to have it all apart and go through logically. Maybe when the trans mount deformed another mount has broken. Its hard to tell with the V8 Bobbin type arrangement.

All I can say is that since fitting the mega grippy tyres and the Quaife ATB Diff it is very different. Like a group A rally car. Much more loads from the diff biasing torque and the grip from the tyres. Hope it's not some black magic voodoo going on inside the gear selector turret. Have to look in the spares box as I sold my last F20 box to Ezerpm for his sons race car.
                Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                (use Irish accent)

Comment

• shist, can you mount gopro of phone in ther and try film with bonnet of?
                  "yuck ,more like a 3 r2"
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tb261HwQNDQ
                  SAY WHAT YOU BELEVE,,BELEVE WHAT YOU LIKE,
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk

Comment

• Originally posted by ardonfast View Post
                    shist, can you mount gopro of phone in ther and try film with bonnet of?
                    Whats wrong with white paint or Tipex?? Anyhow, pretty sure there's been movement. I don't have masses of time right now, but have found that I have a complete gear selector turret on the spare F18 box and 90% of a spare selector rod linkage doofa flange. I think I'll take it all off and inspect. Maybe one of the selector rod bushes has disintegrated? I also have a spare engine mount as the last HD ones came as a pair. There is hope on the horizon...
                    Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                    (use Irish accent)

Comment

• nothing wrong with the paint,, I was intrested on what movement when lauching is giving you the problem? thought a vid would help you I,d it,
                      as you said you got it right then something undid it,
                      "yuck ,more like a 3 r2"
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tb261HwQNDQ
                      SAY WHAT YOU BELEVE,,BELEVE WHAT YOU LIKE,
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk

Comment

• Right had a go at the selector yesterday. The clamp pinch bolt setup had moved and so I took the gearstick, crate etc all out. Rotated and pushed back the pinch clamp so that it crushes the slot in the shaft better. I have painted white paint either side and will test this weekend. This should allow me to see at a glance whether it moves. If it does I think it will be down to more engine and transmission movement than I had originally. It's all a bit trial and error
                        Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                        (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Took car for test drive yesterday. All fine under normal driving. Then gave in beans of the Heinz 57 variety and gear selection woes again. Checked pinch bolt arrangement and from the white paint, it hasn't moved. Rear exhaust hanger popped off, so engine and trans is moving. Going to swap out gear selector turret for spare and will have to look mounts again. I think the ATB diff is causing a twisting of the engine and box under extreme loads rather than the engine rocking backwards and forwards. This is becoming a bit of a mare with MITP looming and much other stuff to be done
                          Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                          (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Took a look at car yesterday and replaced the rear exhaust silencer hangers that had also got mashed with engine movement. MITP just around the corner and I couldn't find anything wrong with the other engine mounts, but witness marks were found near gear linkage, so it is moving. It's the diff doing it deffo. So, I'm going to have to extend one of the diff gearbox brackets by welding some new plate on and a bracket to be welded to the main rear subframe bar. I had a play with what I had in the spares box and it looks like I'll use 2 rose jointed bars in opposing directions, as all those bits are here and available. This will hopefully sort out the hard launches and keep it under control. I'm sure it will be harsh and vibrate much more, but at least this way I can disconnect the bars and look at other solutions again later. Maybe torque damper at top of engine, but have little room.

That's the plan... now watch it all go wrong
                            Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                            (use Irish accent)

Comment

• OK so with limited time I made and welded in situ ( not easy) the rose jointed tie rod / turnbuckle to try to control the diff squirming around. I took her for a drive and apart from some some more vibration, the solid arrangement has helped loads. I think I will do more solid mounts in the future. The car felt really connected, instead of the diff sensing torque change and biasing it back and forth, yanking at the engine and box, it all felt as one. I did miss 3rd a couple of times and think I must not hurry this gearchange, maybe synchro is going or something. For one of the first times I found myself driving nicely at speed with one hand, so this type of mount is proving good, which is handy as the car will be swallowing some funny gas tommorow. Just hope it holds out without snapping.

Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow at the POD for MITP .
                              Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                              (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Nice to meet you fella. I didn't get to see you on the strip but I hope you did well...

Comment

Working...
                                X