No announcement yet.

Meight K Series VVC round nose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Managed to get the engine and sub frame on the new trolley, using a rope was so much easier also managed to use the leveller thing:
    Untitled by Bryn Kinsman, on Flickr
    The plates and brackets i made up to attach the wood:
    Moves round much easier on this:
    Also made up the end pieces of my roll over jig so much cheaper making it myself:

Comment

So went essential shopping today and on the way back picked up my mini, can now set about working on him:
      Also after a lot of thinking i've just ordered a floor, was going to order the floor and the roll cage, but the postage was ridiculous £180 wtf, so just ordered the floor for now that was still £100, i'll go collect the roll cage when the lock down ends. I used to work in transport, and we moved much bigger things for cheaper. Feels like a hell of a waste of money seeing as the shop is only 100 miles away.

Comment

Oh yeah i was also donated a scaffold pole by one of the other members of my mini club, left it nicely outside my unit for collection

Comment

SOO annoying that as soon as i get the car back the weather is awful, had to dodge the showers today, got an hour this morning and a few this afternoon.

Managed to get some bracing in, should hopefully hold it all ridged once the floor is out, found some more rust, bugger:
          Very lucky there is a hole in the rear seat thats perfect for the pole, didnt think the later minis came with holes in the back, but this looks professionally put in:

Comment

Got him on pallets, just waiting for the weather to improve so i can take the subframes off:

Comment

Managed to remove the subframes, was worried about undoing the heel board bolts but the came out with ease:
              Little bit of motivation for myself, its going to be tight!
              Going to be reusing the rear subframe, luckily the rust doesn't seem to bad on it:

Comment

I'm hoping that if i leave the floor under him over night it will magically attach itself haha:
                Managed to get the front end off without damaging it too much as it was new when it got semi restored before, so want to put them on my brothers italian job:
                £100 delivery for this box,crazy, it weas well packed out though:
                As you have probably guessed i managed to get it on the jig:
                Theres so much more rust than i thought so annoying:
                The three stages of mini:

Comment

How i attached the jig to the car:
                  Squared round holes to the coach bolts to go through, and boxed off the end to add strength:
                  Making use of old mini parts to sit in the shock mounts at the rear:
                  Some paint to protect the welded bits:
                  Front:
                  Rear:

Comment

Put in some more metal, hopefully offering more support and also a datum point:
                    Got the floor out honestly loosing it with drilling out spot welds and finding more rust, drilled the sill ones out and cut the front and back out and dropped the floor just need to drill out the spot welds:
                    Is there a better option to the closing panels as i'm not having companion bins and i think the current ones look naff and are rusty anyway?
                    Need to make some patches up for this, trying to figure out what order to do things:

Comment

Trial fitted the floor so i could get an idea where to put the patched on the seat base/healboard/ companion bin closing bit, its a bit tight in places and need to go forward a bit but it seems ok so far, still loads more to do before i can even contemplate putting the floor in floor in for good, also on this floor the seat belt mounting points are further forward for some reason:

Comment

Managed to get the floor fitting fairly well, however I tried putting the subframe on to line it up but i cant even get the subframe on the heel board, its like the trunions are the wrong angle or something, anyone have any ideas?
                        This side lined up ok:
                        But this side didn't line up at all:

Comment

So the captive nuts were at the wrong angle so a bit off a tap and they were straightened, now the subframe fits. got it completely bolted down, seems like its putting more pressure on on of the bushes, so looking from above it looks like i need to some how move the floor a mm or so over:
                          Looks like it needs to go slightly to the right:
                          Last edited by BronkoMini; 18-05-2020, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Got a bit done over the bank holiday, the floor is pretty much fully welded in now, just a few seam welds to do and some spot welds.
                            Wanted to protect the sills as much as i could, so i did a few coats of rust encapsulator in them followed by seam sealing all the seams in the sills being careful to leave holes at the bottom so water doesn't get trapped, then painted the surfaces to we plug welded with some weld through primer, when i build the car up ill put some more rust encapsulator inside then some W.A.R:
                            Drilling and punching the holes for the plug welds took sooo long:
                            Its weird, it looks like the top side of the floor on the pic below isnt furthenough forward, but the sub frame had a bigger gap that side, so odd, maybe the boot floor holes arnt legit, hope it doesnt end up crabbing:
                            All the datum points i put in seem to line up ok, so hopefully it'll be ok:

Comment

Working...
                            X