Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1.8 awd

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1.8 awd

    New project I wasn’t planning on doing another mini but in the process of selling up my k turbo mini I acquired a shell on px for my old shell then got speaking to a bloke who I work with he was saying he’s scrapping his free lander (rotten out) then I got thinking got a shell sat there doing nothing asked the question how much for the running gear it’s free if I remove it all my self thought well rude not to have it.

    So the plan is awd 1.8 120bhp for now. needs to be done as cheaply possible!





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • #2
    Interested to see how you get on with this, I’ve got a freelander in the yard waiting to get scrapped....

    Comment


    • #3
      Fit the steering rack then offer it up, I've heard a few people have tried this but the rack is in the way

      https://www.16vminiclub.com/showthre...&highlight=awd
      New subframe fitting has begun - slowly

      Build Thread - standard length round nose B series with Rover K series frame, will it all fit ??

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Oz View Post
        Fit the steering rack then offer it up, I've heard a few people have tried this but the rack is in the way



        https://www.16vminiclub.com/showthre...&highlight=awd


        The steering rack was in the way the grinder soon helped with that




        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

        Comment


        • #5
          You best re watch Binky to understand how to correct the geometry after pissing around with the steering rack.

          Comment


          • #6
            Interesting ! What's given you the idia to do it ?
            Was it all the power of last turbo mini , that just wouldn't handle for ShiT ,
            120 is a good solid amount for a mini ! W,t,f are you going to get around the f.d gearing ?
            "yuck ,more like a 3 r2"
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tb261HwQNDQ
            SAY WHAT YOU BELEVE,,BELEVE WHAT YOU LIKE,
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ardonfast View Post
              W,t,f are you going to get around the f.d gearing ?
              From what I understand the gears are the same as the other K series boxes so can be swapped and changed the same as the FWD boxes can be.
              New subframe fitting has begun - slowly

              Build Thread - standard length round nose B series with Rover K series frame, will it all fit ??

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jackjewell93 View Post
                The steering rack was in the way the grinder soon helped with that




                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I still don't see what you are going to do with the actual steering rack
                New subframe fitting has begun - slowly

                Build Thread - standard length round nose B series with Rover K series frame, will it all fit ??

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Oz View Post
                  From what I understand the gears are the same as the other K series boxes so can be swapped and changed the same as the FWD boxes can be.
                  That's a miracle ! I'm confused coz they have massive tyres,
                  Would emagine the 75,50,13 would only be the same size as the land rover alloy , without the bulbus tyre ,
                  "yuck ,more like a 3 r2"
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tb261HwQNDQ
                  SAY WHAT YOU BELEVE,,BELEVE WHAT YOU LIKE,
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Oz View Post
                    I still don't see what you are going to do with the actual steering rack

                    Will be mounted up high behind pedal box going to put spacers in the steering arms to correct bump steer

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Had a quick play with the pipe bender at work going to use 32mm seamless 3mm wall for the subframe




                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Oz View Post
                        From what I understand the gears are the same as the other K series boxes so can be swapped and changed the same as the FWD boxes can be.
                        I have been swapping the gears for the Freelander guys. As stated, it's a simple ratio change.

                        The Freelander has S4 ratios. With the big wheels and tyres they run. it's vastly over geared. Top speed of the stock car on the calculator is 199mph! As if that's going to happen from a 120bhp and 1.5 tonne car.

                        I have been swapping the sets from the C4. This gives a far better acceleration and a nice cruising 5th. Top speed is 174mph but 1 to 4 are quite close on the C sets and 5th is just for cruising.

                        https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rove...x/192864588325

                        p.s. I have just swapped the S4 gears into Phoenix. This is great for 13" wheels with 175x50x13 tyres.

                        Last edited by AGoaty; 27-04-2019, 12:09 AM.
                        If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          How much higher is the rack going ? Looks like it could be some big spacers with all that extra leverage on the poor standard mini steering arms. Also would any spacer clear the tyre?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Broomel View Post
                            How much higher is the rack going ? Looks like it could be some big spacers with all that extra leverage on the poor standard mini steering arms. Also would any spacer clear the tyre?

                            Will be sometime similar to this





                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Is that a special steering arm also ?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X