No announcement yet.

Retro Clubman VVC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I see. Think I'll keep it. Don't fancy my chances welding it back straight enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Yellow View Post
      Asahartz your comment about the oil filter tucking up inside the valance has led me to what I think is the least compromised solution. I raised the engine an inch vs yesterday, resulting in:

Bolt positions on diff now straddle the rack, gaining me 10mm or so rear clearance.

Plenty of clearance on bulkhead crossmember.

Plenty of breathing room for the manifold. Cam belt cover is touching so will shave out the marked area to allow for a bit of movement.

Oil filter sits just inside the valance.

Engine now sits square in engine bay.

And I can shut the bonnet. Got room to get my hand between the VVC solenoid and the underside of the bonnet so it's not too tight.

Driveshaft lengths will be approx 585mm drivers side, 250mm passenger side. These are short measurements as I have gone from the face of the cv joint to the face of the pot joint, so how ever long the spiders and splines are needs to be added. I think that's workable.
      Looks pretty good. Just need to make the frame fit round it now!

Comment

• Getting there...... lower loop of the frame is finalised, might need to brace it a little.

Once I have chopped up my 30mm square section tube, my idea is to use the original frame to tack it to whilst welding to minimise distortion, then cut out the bits I don't want afterwards.

Original plan was to bend and weld, found a YouTube clip from a firm doing this:

My attempts to replicate this with a hacksaw and then a disc cutter didn't look too bad until I pulled the bend and found it was slightly off square so introduced a twist. No good. Given that I need 8 bends in a loop of 2.5metres and just one being wrong means starting again, I decided to give up on that one. Will revert to plan b which is to cut the parts individually and weld it up.

Waiting for some angle measuring and marking devices to arrive then I'll be back on it.

Went to Castle Combe yesterday for the Bristol Pegasus motorsport club trackday sharing drive of my Dad's mk3 and got some good subframe inspiration from Substitute on here. His Suzuki engined car is awesome!

Also was made to feel entirely inadequate when a guy rolled this out of his trailer. He made it himself.....

6.75 litre diesel with a supercharger AND a turbo. And he was driving the wheels off the thing!

Comment

• you could take your template to a company that has a tube bender and get them to bend it out of one continuous piece, this is how mine is made (similar shape to yours) and it will be stronger than welding bits together. If not then i would recommend bracing every joint as I've seen frames crack right next to the weld where the heat has weakened the metal.
          my build: http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4887
          https://youtu.be/X7O46JmFPh0

Comment

• Will investigate bending option but the curves would be very tight. Yes to bracing, big triangular plates above and below all joints extending 50mm beyond the joint.

Comment

• i was getting into the way you where going and i dont like the look of 1 inch box welded on short angles,, they do do it so cant argue that fact but it just looks so wrong!
              are you shure about giveing up on the 1 bit bend? if you can crack it, it will be a brake through,
              from the past i know its possable to heat with oxy/acetileen and bend and hammer into nice shapes,
              "yuck ,more like a 3 r2"
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tb261HwQNDQ
              SAY WHAT YOU BELEVE,,BELEVE WHAT YOU LIKE,
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk

Comment

• I'm sticking with cut / weld / brace. I'm confident in the materials, design and fabrication. That said, I'm not daft. if at any stage I feel less than 100% happy, I'm not too stubborn to pick up the phone to Allspeed

Comment

• Just tacked up for now. It's dead flat and square, was worried about distortion but so far so good. Next job is to fix to the subframe and chop out the bits that are in the way before a trial fit of the frame and engine to check my measurements.

Comment

• looks good, frame looks similar in design to mine so far
                    my build: http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4887
                    https://youtu.be/X7O46JmFPh0

Comment

• Thanks. I should hope so, I have borrowed a lot from yours..... I don't work very fast and have realised this is going to take a while!

Comment

• Retro Clubman VVC

Plodding on. Nomination for neighbour of the year secured - bank holiday grinder action!

Made first part of the lower rear brace and started tidying up the corners of the frame.

Have decided I will seam weld and brace everything done so far before attaching to subframe as I can control the distortion better that way.

Comment

• Looking good, keep it up

Originally posted by Burnard
                          couldnt be bothered to stretch that far to pull it out.
                          Originally posted by ardonfast
                          Haz obviously don't like custard , my Mrs spits it out to!
                          I love it

Comment

• Does anyone know the pg1 gearbox square drain key size please? Measure the sump plug and it's bit less than 10mm. Next size down is 8mm, unless it's imperial sizing?

Comment

• Try the end of a 3/8th ratchet
                              New subframe fitting has begun - slowly

Build Thread - standard length round nose B series with Rover K series frame, will it all fit ??

Comment

• Originally posted by Oz View Post
                                Try the end of a 3/8th ratchet

Bingo [emoji3]

Comment

Working...
                                X