1982 roundnose project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small update

After my last alternator failed I managed to source a modified denso sized unit with 60amp internals from Ebay for £130 posted. This gives me 14.2v at 950rpm idle and still 13.4v with the cooling fan and heater motor blowing. This time I also used a old turbo heatsheild for the alternator and heat wrapped the manifold with DEI Titianuim exhaust wrap.

All of the above and fixed my stationary overheating issues. Had it idling for around an hour with the fan cutting in and out and controlling the temps how it should

I have also swapped the Ebay copy Bosch 044 style fuel pump for a smaller quieter unit and fitted the new KAD rose jointed lower arms I bought for the other mini

Next jobs?

I really want to get it fully set up suspension wise, corner weighted and fit a rear anti roll bar

Comment

Spent a fair amount of time making a new exhaust system however I'm not sure I like the sound..

https://youtu.be/cLDOiAdrxCE

Comment

Sounds good I reckon, nice and throaty. Sounds like it’s hunting just a little on idle?

Comment

Yes it is. I removed the IACV and have not fully sorting the mapping out yet

Comment

Broken the 160 vvc engine..

Comment

Noooooooooo..... fixable?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris16v View Post
                Broken the 160 vvc engine..
                Very vague comment this Chris! you could of added a little detail.

It's looking like a piston ring has broken. 😟

James, they are always fixable. Just sometimes replacement is the cheapest repair. 🙄
                If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

Comment

It looks like ring/piston damage.. low compression and blowby.

Already removed it after being
                  at work for 8 hours today 20200504_172850.jpg
                  Last edited by Chris16v; 04-05-2020, 07:13 PM.

Comment

20200506_175747.jpg

Comment

• As some of you know.

I will be fitting my forged turbo built engine into this shell. The initial plan is to run that engine in NA form for the rest of this year so I can run it and and resolve any issues with that engine before fitting the turbo at a later date. I have mocked up rear mount turbo and side mount turbo setups

Comment

• Nice. What compression ratio are you going to be running? Hopefully it won’t be too sluggish without the turbo

Comment

• Originally posted by geachy87 View Post
                          Nice. What compression ratio are you going to be running? Hopefully it won’t be too sluggish without the turbo
                          Not sure now it will run to be fair.. not really concerned just want to get some miles on the new engine and iron out any issues without the complications of the turbo

its solid cam ported VVC head with Piper 633 cams that will be correctly timed in. At NA compression get estimate that as 160/170bhp spec but this engine is 8.5;1 compression so yes will be flat and down on power compared to that

Will see what its like I have a suitable Emerald map for it to try

Comment

• Oh.. whilst playing around in the garage IMG_20200509_172713_737.jpg

Comment

• Fitted the turbo spec forged engine now and really considering do this IMG_20200530_144914_210.jpg

Comment

• It's back up and running again!

Comment

Working...
                                X