1982 roundnose project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1982 roundnose project

Right guys my Other vvc track mini is just about finished and I'm soon about to start building a more standard project that will from my old 1380 a series mini that I killed...

Its been sitting in my grandparents garage since last august and currently looks very sorry, but is rust free with many new panels and floor!!!

As you can see I've been busy with it

I shall be building my own frame for this one
    Last edited by Chris16v; 11-05-2016, 09:20 PM.

Going to give the turbo car build a break for a bit and get this mini finished...

My plan for this is build my own mini based frame using lots of ideas from my turbo car frame.. This is Going to be my daily driver next year and will be going across to Europe next year..

I'm probably going to go for a 1.4 k series with a pg1 diesel gearbox and 10" wheels, with a quiet exhaust and full leather interior.. and very standard looking

Another reason for the 1.4 is cheaper tax band and its already registered as a 1380cc

Comment

exsighting plans,, and good thinking on all counts,,
      "yuck ,more like a 3 r2"
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tb261HwQNDQ
      SAY WHAT YOU BELEVE,,BELEVE WHAT YOU LIKE,
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk

Comment

Originally posted by Chris16v View Post
        Going to give the turbo car build a break for a bit and get this mini finished...

My plan for this is build my own mini based frame using lots of ideas from my turbo car frame.. This is Going to be my daily driver next year and will be going across to Europe next year..

I'm probably going to go for a 1.4 k series with a pg1 diesel gearbox and 10" wheels, with a quiet exhaust and full leather interior.. and very standard looking

Another reason for the 1.4 is cheaper tax band and its already registered as a 1380cc
        You'll regret going 1.4 Chris. Mark my words inside 6 months you'll have a 1.8 in there. If I were you I would go for the 160 1.8VVC

Comment

Originally posted by CooperWorks View Post
          You'll regret going 1.4 Chris. Mark my words inside 6 months you'll have a 1.8 in there. If I were you I would go for the 160 1.8VVC
          I'll second this comment. The 1.4 engines are stupidly cheap and plentyful but for £200 extra and no more work surely an extra 50bhp is always good.

I have turned down a few Rover 1.4's recently and they only wanted £100. Scrap value is under £50 for the full car!
          If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

Comment

I can fully understand the views on the smaller engine... plenty to do before that stage

Comment

Ok.. this may be happening sooner than planned!.. those I know me via facebook know this is now finished and running a 1380 A series.

However after 400 A series miles its already got issues with oil pressure and smoke!! and I just cant be arsed with it

So time to start collect K series parts!!.

Subframe wise does anybody make a ready made frame that takes the pg1 gearbox and fits under the steel roundnose front!.. ive broken my elbow and it may not be back to full strength for 6 months
              Last edited by Chris16v; 30-04-2017, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris16v View Post
                Subframe wise does anybody make a ready made frame that takes the PG1 gearbox and fits under the steel roundnose front?
                Closest you'll get is the Allspeed frame. Needs chopping for the oil filter, or remote mounting the filter. Also needs a gearbox mount making up.
                Originally posted by apbellamy
                Fuck me Shaun. That actually made sense.

Comment

I would use the bare Allspeed subframe at £350. The extra £300 to fit K series mounts is a hell of a lot. Also you only use one of the 2 anyway so still need to fabricate one.

Are you still thinking 1.4?

I know you know this but you'll have to cut the inner wings out.

Seen too many driveshafts breaking recently so I would budget to get one piece items made.

It's about time Allspeed either sold a remote oil filter housing kit to fit their frames or made the frame fit around the standard oil filter as this seems to be a problem for a lot of people.

The S6 ratio, PG1 is a good call, especially on 10" wheels. Revs will be 3200 at 70 which is a great all round setup for a road car. It will happily cruise on the motorway and be quiet too.

Comment

Yes still thinking about the 1.4.. I think 100bhp will be plenty in this car and the same power as its current 1380. but a extra gear, better fuel economy and lighter

As you know I really don't want to chop the front off it after all the recent work, I have no issue working a oil filter takeoff and had experience with that on the other mini.

Oh the balljoint snapped on this today aswell and caused some minor damage!!

Comment

I can attest that the 1.4 k does go very very well in a mini

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by richie08 View Post
                        I can attest that the 1.4 k does go very very well in a mini

Hmmm.

Coming from someone who is currently about to replace the 1.4 for a 1.8VVC...

Comment

Originally posted by AGoaty View Post
                          Hmmm.

Coming from someone who is currently about to replace the 1.4 for a 1.8VVC...
                          Purely due to technical reasons [emoji12]

Comment

Another reason for 1.4 is that the car is already registered with the DVLA is 1380cc and keeps it in the lower tax band..

Don't forget I have a 200bhp+ k turbo mini aswell.. this is purely been built as a cruiser/daily driver.

I already have the old NA exhaust manifold/radiator/new clutch and diesel PG1 box from my old VVC mini. I will go mems 3 again and use the loom cut down loom/stalks/dials like my other

Comment

A friend of mine has a 1.4 in an estate and it runs very well, and reliably.

However it's going to be very difficult to fit it in a steel roundnose with the wings in place, especially with a PG1 box. I found it a tight fit getting it in and out of a Clubman front with the wings welded on. It will go in from the bottom, but that makes it a lot harder to position the engine mounts on the subframe, and you'll almost certainly have to cut the front valance away.

Comment

Working...
                              X