Jaapio's 1800VVC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaapio's 1800VVC

OK here we go... been reading, reading and reading for quite some time here. Wanted to start the project, but needed to sell my 1968 woody first.. This was done last week.. So now fullspeed into this conversion.

Bought a 95% good shell for 100 euro.

This is now sitting in the garage

also bought a steel flipfront, doors and bootlid. Now on the search of all mini related stuff, as the car is a shell only. This shell is 1977.

Plans
    - Rover 114GTI engine
    - Flipfront
    - Metro 4 pod brakes
    - 13x7 rims
    more to come.

I bought the frame of a friend of mine, who made 2 frames to fit is in a std length mini.
    1 is build

Will make pics of the frame soon..

for the rest the plan is to keep it a std looking mini around..

Donor found.. checking the car next week

Jaapio
    "If everything is under control, you are just not driving fast enough"

by:Sir Stirling Moss

So you are going for a different engine now? Very interested how this will come together. Bit different than a Woody

Dennis

Comment

yes.. found this a good choice to start with.. as the frame is also designed for this type of engine.. Maybe when I get bored of 100bhp will go for the 1600 or 1800 VVC engine.. but for now I will keep this plan.

and yes.. very different..

Jaapio

Comment

Update time..

Plans have been changed a little bit. Seems quite hard here in the NL to source a 114GTI. So went ahead with the search to a good 1800VVC and today I found one.

It was sourced from a MGF car. The only thing is that's its engine only + ECU etc, but not the complete loom. The Rover garage i bought it from said you can delete the Immobiliser from the ECU (It a mems 1.9 or 2) to get it all started.. Only thing i need to find out now is how to wire up the mini contact with the ECU to get it all started.. but will search the forum and ask questions here and now..

Jaapio

Comment

just a question ....
          what is this thing... found it on 2 threads.. but I have no idea

Jaapio

Comment

Originally posted by Jaapio1984 View Post
            just a question ....
            what is this thing... found it on 2 threads.. but I have no idea

Jaapio
            Thats part of the linkage for the R65 gearbox

Gavin

Comment

If your using the box that comes with the mgf engine then you wont need one as the 1.8 use the pg1 gearbox and have a similer gear linkage to a mini.

Comment

thanks guys.. will be using the PG1 box..

will find some info about LSD and Saxo 5th gear

(or send Matt a PM)

Comment

Think the saxo 5th mod is for the r65 not the pg1 but I may be wrong, lsd can be found in the rover coupe turbos

Comment

yes you are rt, read in the Matt build, he was using the R65 box.. than will leave it as it is..

engine will be delivered this week.. will get some more pics uploaded..

the subframe and stuff

Jaapio

Comment

Just two more questions?

Fueltank
                      SPI or MPI tank?, does it give enought fuelpressure to cope with the 1800? or do i need to upgrade the fuelpomp

Shocks
                      Can I just use standard shocks, or is it better to use adjustable ones ? or use coilovers on the front and std on the rear

Jaapio

Comment

You can use an Spi with an uprated fuelpump (I use a Opel/Vauxhall item) or an Mpi fueltank that can be used straight away. Only those are much harder to find.

My suspension is still rubber cone with uprated adjustable shocks. At least get uprated shocks not the standard bikepumps

Dennis

Comment

thx again Dennis

Jaapio

Comment

I have a MPI tank with pump (former honda pump but fitted inside MPI tank) Laying arround.. if interested let me know! (in holland) been modified with filler cap inside the car.. I also have a standard MPI tank.
                            Just let me know.

Christian.

Comment

Thx Chris..

MPI tank found

Jaapio

Comment

Working...
                              X