X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birdman
    replied
    Originally posted by 250ptm View Post
    I have been following this "Insane Build", cause it right up my street of "love to do that". You are a real motivator !
    Thanks for your message 250ptm.. Well, I'm giving it a go, that's what I can say for now.. Not getting much done at present, difficult times for most people. Yes keeping motivated and having a project of your own is what it's all about for me. It's a useful distraction from more mundane things in life.. It would be nice to see some more people joining the club/ forum and challenging themselves with new projects....

Leave a comment:

• 250ptm
    replied
    I have been following this "Insane Build", cause it right up my street of "love to do that". You are a real motivator !

Leave a comment:

• Birdman
    replied
    Having thoughts to remove front water pump, which is huge.. This will free up some room and use Electric Davis Craig pump in a more accessible position.. Then move alternator to mount at front, as it is too close to rear anti roll bar setup that I wanted. Oil filter to be remote located along with cooler.. That will clean up / free up more space where needed. Cooler day today, so hope to get in garage tonight.

Leave a comment:

• Birdman
    replied
    So swapped around. Black tape shows where I will put in X cross brace20220608_175820.jpg 20220608_175837.jpg 20220608_175855.jpg 20220608_175910.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Birdman
    replied
    20220601_182441.jpg 20220601_182448.jpg This arrangement with Cooler on left and rear turbo on the right did not work out, so swapped around. Better for plumbing and weight distribution..

Leave a comment:

• Birdman
    replied
    Got a better hydraulic handbrake setup . Its a CompBrake 20220701_122540.jpg 20220701_122530.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Birdman
    replied
    That is a big charge cooler rated to crazy level of HP. The quad throttle bodies and plenum: 20220615_153606.jpg 20220615_153620.jpg 20220615_153650.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Birdman
    replied
    With all these alloy parts, I'm looking to try my hand at aluminium welding this winter. Not sure if I will go TIG or just MIG with or without a spool gun. Seen some pretty OK results with MIG now. Intercooler pipes etc will be the main jobs. Anyhow, pics of some items: 20220531_143337.jpg 20220531_143351.jpg 20220531_143413.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Birdman
    replied
    Project update; Too hot for any meaningful work on the car this summer. As soon as we get cooler weather, I will be back on the frame. I have had many ideas and will add more elements. Would be good to have the frame welded and at least in primer by the end of this year. Luckily my garage stays v warm ( like California), so surface rust seems not to happen. In the meantime much pondering and buying of cheap bits and bobs has been going on. I'm going to try and use both the GT2860RS and the Holset H1E in compound, because it seems likely that I will be dragging the car at the Pod first before any track activity. It will add the Nitrous as well and go direct to each port. This could then be used either for extra power, or to help spool of the rear turbo. Plus it's just crazy overkill and I have the bits available. So then I thought, why not go really mad and add individual throttle bodies? So I have a great set now from Nissan GTIR Pulsar, which I will make an adaptor from SAAB head to mate to them. I also got another set of bodies for spares. Besides the Plenum setup looks so good. I could have the option of 8 x injectors + 4 x nitrous injectors. I think I have figured out a anti lag system for this setup, which I'm working on.. I thought that the Nissan GTR Intercooler would have too much work to do with 2 x turbos in compound, so now have an additional huge charge cooler, that with go after the Holset.. All a bit crazy and complicated. Strangely the most expensive things I think will be decent waste gates, which for a very basic thing, seem to cost the earth?

Leave a comment:

• Birdman
    replied
    Still here... Still buying stuff on the cheap here and there, much Ebaying buying and selling to fund project. Did a recon mission and went to the Pod for Vauxhall event last week. Really good weather. Went to mainly meet the guys who have been running SAAB engines in their Vauxhalls. Had lists of things to ask and everyone friendly and open to share advice. It seems if the engine you have is in good condition it should be fine. Vaux F23 gearbox , again if in good condition, seems to take the abuse even at some crazy power levels. Driveshafts seem fine. Some guys there already running the DQ250 DSG gearbox conversion. Allsorts of different turbos used. One guy had converted to Audi R8 coils, but that seems only possible with standalone ecu. So good gazing and info gained / confirmed. I can sort of now understand what power level will produce what 1/4 mile times. Saw some of the more crazy cars down there and that made me think to really maybe throw caution to the wind. So I'm looking at maybe using both the turbos I have and compound them, with the Holset at the rear.. Only about 800mm down the exhaust outlet from the small turbo, so sort of rear mount , but also not. Also going to be sorting out some crazy custom bling stuff, because it is one thing to look into the rear of a car and see a Saab cam cover and another to see some trick stuff. All a distraction form the basic tube and frame work, but I need to know things can be accommodated in the available space and it keeps me interested..

Leave a comment:

• Birdman
    replied
    Not a lot done recently. Been Ebaying and having varied success. Missed out on a great shell and a good set of wheels sadly. I managed to get a set of SAAB 9000 clocks for v cheap. I had thought that they just plugged into a large grey multi pin connector that came off the engine loom not far from the ECU Connector, but I was way wrong. I have to work out what that grey connector is for now. I had hoped to just plug in for when getting the engine running as a temporary solution to see RPM oil pressure etc. Anyhow the clocks are also too big and heavy for the carbon fibre dash, so they will go into the resale pile. But then I had some good luck and won an ETB Digi Dash..

It arrived this week and is actually much nicer than I imagined.. Only 400grms weight! I imagined that this unit was quite big, but it is light and small and actually cnc machined from solid aluminium. So I have most of the sensors and wiring for it and it seems it will do everything I need including gear position indicator and data logging if ever needed. I will just need to find 20220430_155530.jpg 20220430_155544.jpg 20220501_153557.jpg the tacho low voltage output from the SAAB ECU to give signal to both ETB dash and the Autometer Rev counter.

Leave a comment:

• Birdman
    replied
    KAD Adjustable Brake Bias Pedal Box. Will have to change cylinders. 1 is buggered, but good bit of kit for what I need. Will get the remote adjuster some day... 20220411_140858.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Birdman
    replied
    Correction it seems 60% front braking and 40% rear. I made a mistake.

Leave a comment:

• Birdman
    replied
    Apart form all that measuring and head scratching, I have been buying some bargain bits, where possible. I have a KAD bias pedal box coming 2nd hand. This is the type that goes forward in the engine bay.. The Willwood cylinders are for normal mini weight distribution, so I will probably have to change the rear to match the front brake master cylinder diameter.. I read that mid engine rear wheel drive needs 55% front braking and 45% rear. I reckon then I could achieve the brake balance required by adjustment of the brake balance bar and fine tuning with the Tilton valve that I can plumb into the rear circuit.. I hope to have 280mm vented discs all round, but have to see on that, as it all gets a bit complicated.

Also got the beginnings of some weather vanes that I picked up for pennies... they are plasma cut20220403_170608.jpg 20220403_170613(0).jpg

Leave a comment:

• Birdman
    replied
    So I'm getting closer to understanding all these measurements and predictions. Next I will have to actually get the wheels I will use, to know for real and I need to work out how they can work with the front subframe track width, because I need to use some PCD change spacers to get to 4 x 100. 20220403_134021.jpg 20220403_134114.jpg

Leave a comment:

Working...
X