X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Birdman

• Birdman
    replied
    I have a clash with Intercooler pipe work, now I'm considering positioning of support tube. Have decided I will get as much of the tubing cut, notched and tacked in place and sort out all of the semi trailing arm brackets and tack them in. Then take the frame off the engine for actual welding.. Will be so difficult otherwise... still learning

Leave a comment:

• Birdman

• Birdman
    replied
    Managed to rough out the notches for the opposite curved tube today. Went better than the other side... The 38mm hole saw lost a tooth or two, so will be trying to get another quickly.. Had a play with making a strengthening tube (see pics). Have now realised that if I make a longer tube and move it towards the front of car, I could then run a tube slightly above cam cover to link to other side.. That should stop any loads deflecting the main down tubes. I think I will give that a go. Yes the engine tilts forwards.20220115_160004.jpg 20220115_160011.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Birdman

• Birdman
    replied
    Shock angles look like they will be options of 20, 25 and 30 degrees.. Best I could do. Quite a lot more to do on the frame yet, so got to just tough it out the next couple of months.
    Birdman
    Last edited by Birdman; 11-01-2022, 04:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Birdman

• Birdman
    replied
    With coil over dangling until I get top and bottom mounts plasma cut for accuracy. 20220109_153440.jpg 20220109_153504.jpg 20220109_153545.jpg 20220109_153801.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Birdman

• Birdman
    replied
    Was ill on Saturday, but luckily not the plague. Got some time on Sunday back on the project.. Made base plates for lower coil over mountings. Then tackled one of the upper mount curved bars. Really difficult as the notches are compound angles at one end and then the same on a bend the other. Managed to use a 40mm toilet roll tube to make a close template and then it all had to be notched by hand. I looked on You Tube and to do these notches at compound angles on bends, you need expensive kit , like £2k! I have it as close as I could get it in the time available. I hope to work the notch a little more before I'm happy. Then I think another tube running vertical may be needed to add strength. Somehow, I need to replicate on the other side. Not looking forward to that. All my fault and may not work out great, but you got to try. 20220109_142858.jpg 20220109_142724.jpg 20220109_142744.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Birdman

• Birdman
    replied
    Hope to get everything properly measured and drawn up to have parts for trailing arm brackets plasma or laser cut in the next 10 days. Hope to get back on the white Mini in March / April. Probably just fated that plan, but you have to try..

Leave a comment:

• Birdman

• Birdman
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronski View Post
    Making nice progress.
    Thanks Ronski. I hope to get a delivery of some more 6mm steel today or Saturday.. Then I can start on lower suspension bracket. Rough design in picture. I think that with the 3 hole options on lower bracket and say 3 - 4 on upper bracket I can get coilover angles of roughly 15, 20 and 25 degrees, so I can stick with one spring rate and adjust that way. The car will be very much a first and a test bed really. All the suspension setup will be trial and error, so if the car goes racing drag or track, I will have a book with all the settings used / tried each time. I'm hoping that 650lb spring rate will be about right and that the heavy anti roll bar will also add a bit. In future I will make or get an adjustable anti roll bar. 20220103_160315.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Ronski

• Ronski
    replied
    Making nice progress.

Leave a comment:

• Birdman

• Birdman
    replied
    Mount fits good. Not pretty, but sturdy. Closed one side, because no good access to bobbin nut that way and could increase strength. Nut can be accessed from other side, although downpipe is over that side. Will probably weld this part to the main cross beam later. I don't think it means I can remove the rubber bobbin without taking off upper bolts behind turbo, but then with the slot cut into lower mount, I should be able to slide upper mount over, unscrew bobbin if broken and refit, without turbo, downpipe etc removal. Still would not be easy, but having to disturb turbo and downpipe gaskets would be another cost and pain, so have alleviated that issue.

Leave a comment:

• Birdman

• Birdman
    replied
    Got some more done on front engine mounting. Was really difficult to get angle correct and to fit correctly with the engine in the frame. Lots of the jobs coming up look to be harder to achieve now. Just take it one step at a time.. 20220102_142811.jpg 20220102_142839.jpg 20220102_145623.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Birdman

• Birdman
    replied
    Will try to keep progressing over the next few days, before work starts again. Looks like 6 engine / trans mounts if you include a rear steady. May take a look at making up bracket for additional idler pulley for aux belt run next.

Leave a comment:

• Birdman

• Birdman
    replied
    Got to be brave and start again on the curved bars that the top of the coil overs mount to again. I mocked up with the suspension and I think I know the height they need to be set at. Tricky to be sure, as do not know how much the coil over will compress initially and I need to get different wheels and tyres. Hoping will not be too far off. Cannot decide on 15" or 16" wheels. 16" would allow me to have the MGF AP Racing 4 pots all round, if I need them and up to 304mm discs. 15" , I could just use standard sliding callipers for MGF. but could get the kit to take them from a 240mm std disc to 280mm. Lots to think about. I don't see a brilliant choice in 16" tyres. I guess I'd be looking at 40 - 45 series profile. Don't want tyres that are so expensive, because with even 300hp minimum, the car will light them up easily I think.

Leave a comment:

• Birdman

• Birdman
    replied
    Switched to making the rear removable crash bar, which carries the anti roll bar and will allow me to clip / route pipes and cables as well. The roll cage saddle clamps turned up and I was a bit worried as they seem a little oversize, but this actually worked out good to get them working and welded at a slight angle. 20211230_120818.jpg 20211230_131556.jpg 20211230_135051.jpg 20211230_135123.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Birdman

• Birdman
    replied
    Had to do double pass welds on front engine mounting plate. Was supposed to be 6mm laser cut, but actually was like 10mm!. Because the Saab is transverse mounted, the block is cast with holes, but only 1 out of the 5 is drilled and tapped. So need to tap the rest to M10. Going to have to gusset many things down the line to add extra strength where needed. Nothing has been optimal design, just a matter of basic packaging, so that things can be worked on. I'm trying to work out the last part of main engine mount, so that it can be removed in situ, if bobbin breaks at Santa Pod. Would be a nightmare in this type of setup having to remove exhaust , turbo etc, just to replace a mount. Will have to see if things work out and eventually get the frame with all weight in it sitting on stands, compressing the mounts into the lower frame etc. I will be making a full sump shield that will tie all the lower frame together. Anyhow, having fun, even if it doesn't all work out..

Leave a comment:

• Birdman

• Birdman
    replied
    Rear transmission mount welded in place. Front main engine mount 60% done. It's all really tight on that one, right under turbo with mms to spare.. 20211228_151141.jpg 20211228_151123.jpg 20211228_151019.jpg 20211228_151049.jpg 20211228_153637.jpg

Leave a comment:

Working...
X