No announcement yet.

Birdman's B204 MINI (Mid Engine RWD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Following! Although I struggle with only a Crap , semi smart phone!
    I've somehow ended up landing off grid!
    Dream life !!! Like hell it is !!! Lol
    No mains electricity, no mains water, plenty off wood to burn is the only gift here!! I need a laptop to see proper pics of builds , yours is exsighting my nuts !!
    Last edited by ardonfast; 17-07-2020, 09:44 AM.
    "yuck ,more like a 3 r2"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tb261HwQNDQ
    SAY WHAT YOU BELEVE,,BELEVE WHAT YOU LIKE,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk

Comment

Not a great deal done over the summer so far, due to work and everything else getting in the annoying way. Have been thinking about the Intercooler and realised that the one I have is probably only good enough for say 250hp, so then I looked at charge coolers. But having read up reviews from those using in reality, they are not so good for a car to be used on track. Fine for drag strip if you have a tank of iced water. Therefore I was looking to size an intercooler to go in the rear, probably up where the mini parcel shelf area would be.
      To be able to use the car for both track and drag strip, I had planned 360hp from the turbo and add extra 150hp from nitrous. Hopefully gearbox will hold together for a bit like this, instead of huge turbo and power all coming in at once. I have found and bought a setup from an R33 Skyline rated at 400hp and when it turns up will have some fun seeing where it can be positioned.

Other than that, I got some long handbrake cables of 8 foot length for a couple of quid that may be OK for making up the gearchange. Will buy a 3.5 bar Bosch fuel pressure regulator from a BMW, which I think is exact swap for the SAAB 3 bar one on the original fuel rail. Looking forward to doing a bit more soon, I hope...

Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
      (use Irish accent)

Comment

The intercooler.. r33.jpgr332.jpg
        Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
        (use Irish accent)

Comment

Well the cooler arrived today. I'll find some way to plumb that in. Going for Group B Monster effect... 20200826_101013.jpg20200826_100657.jpg20200826_100624.jpg20200826_100604.jpg
          Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
          (use Irish accent)

Comment

Trying out some hoses and different intercooler position. Probably not ideal with engine heat... 20200906_165937.jpg20200906_141242.jpg20200906_141234.jpg
            Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
            (use Irish accent)

Comment

Kept me entertained.. 20200906_141120 - Copy.jpg20200906_141050.jpg
              Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
              (use Irish accent)

Comment

Bits slowly turning up in the post. Got Lambda bung and oxygen sensor fitted.. Working with card (not CAD) to design various brackets. Starting with rear trailing arm brackets. 3/4" unf Rose Joints with 3/4 - 1/2" high misalignment spacers from McGills. Got a 2nd hand Accusump on the way in the post so that car can handle track work. 20200915_121306.jpgs-l1600 (59).jpg
                Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                (use Irish accent)

Comment

Found useful pin out diagram for the ECU and large Grey connector on the SAAB 9000.. They go to ECU and back of the 9000 speedo with all engine info.. This should mean I can not bother buying an expensive rarer 9000 speedo / clocks.. just use the relevant pins and wires for whatever instruments I want.. he hopes 2ECU--Grey-Plug-Pinout.jpg
                  Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                  (use Irish accent)

Comment

Accusump tturned up 20200917_161726.jpg
                    Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                    (use Irish accent)

Comment

Been looking at my suspension options and orientation, amongst other things First up, Fox Autograss type 3 ways with piggy back canisters. 20200926_105409.jpg20200926_104417.jpg20200926_105426.jpg
                      Attached Files
                      Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                      (use Irish accent)

Comment

So I can get that at 40 - 45 degrees coming of main roll hoop upright and use some billet alloy autograss mounts for adj 20200926_104136.jpg20200926_104026.jpg ustability. Downside is the amount of travel at that angle.. Springs are Eibach ay 650lbs. I estimate that with the Saab engine and everything else in the back I need approx 650lbs, but at 40 degrees the effective spring rate will be 500lbs, which is too low as the XE minis need approx 550lbs up front . Looked at straight upright and that would mean more tubes to take the coilover mounting. I'm pretty much against mounting shock in single shear, although I see this a lot on Z Cars setup. It's just wrong. So the 40 - 45 degrees mounting is quick and adjustable. Because the Fox shocks have an adjustable cross over too, I could use a 650lbs first spring to preload the suspension and then approx 850lbs springs for the remainder of the suspension travel. This seems sensible and I think I can do a swap between the springs I have on my XE mini and the shorter springs on the Fox setup. So that's all possible.
                        Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                        (use Irish accent)

Comment

20200927_160252.jpg Then I took a look at the JRZ 3 ways with remote canisters.. 20200927_155522.jpg20200927_155530.jpg20200927_160227.jpg
                          Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                          (use Irish accent)

Comment

image_10545.jpg The straight up position again would mean adding some tricky tubes to get the upper shock mount in double shear. Final pics of shocks inclined in at the rear, again that would need work. 20200927_173830.jpg
                            Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                            (use Irish accent)

Comment

golfr ex.jpg So I will get some adjustable mounts and see what works in practice. I think I will still have some choice.
                              All the pondering and trying things out is to basically get everything packaged within the confines of the rear body ( that I don't have for reference). I plonked an exhaust back box that I had kicking around in the rear down low and it looks like I need a 3" diameter bore, 4-5" diameter say 10" max long backbox and some bends to have an enclosed exhaust with tailpipe exit through boot lid. I will need to reduce noise somehow for track regs. Drag strip does not matter. I suppose I'll also have to feed the screamer pipe back into the system as well.

Been looking at Golf R rear valved exhaust, but don't think I can make it fit, because I want a diffuser at the rear. Maybe Audi s1 valved version? 20200926_105501.jpg
                              Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                              (use Irish accent)

Comment

Anyhow, all of this has lead me back to two main points / conclusions.
                                1) I would really like to move the whole powertrain over by 1 -1.5" towards drivers side. This will help a lot in a number of areas like trailing arm placement.
                                2) To do this I need to go to the SAAB split shaft driveshaft setup , which drops the alternator and stops it fouling the main diagonal frame tube.

I think I will have to come up with a hybrid belt system / run which will have 5 pullies instead of the normal 6 or 7. So at present I have to wait for the driveshafts from a 2.3 SAAB 900 coming from Spain. Then we will see what the means for project.
                                Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                                (use Irish accent)

Comment

Working...
                                X