No announcement yet.

Birdman's B204 MINI (Mid Engine RWD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking interesting, not sure about the track width though, suddenly had visions of that Carlos Fandango Super Wide Wheels Panama Cigars advert https://youtu.be/xX__PlOda0E

I've also book marked that exhaust link, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronski View Post
      Looking interesting, not sure about the track width though, suddenly had visions of that Carlos Fandango Super Wide Wheels Panama Cigars advert https://youtu.be/xX__PlOda0E

I've also book marked that exhaust link, thanks.
      Think Group B monster. That is the type of beast I'm wanting to create. Been watching great videos from back in the day on those crazy cars. I just had a measure up and if I go to high inset wheels, I can reduce rear track by 5 inches overall maybe 6". That will be a fairly normal width, just the 205 tyres will be needed to put the ponies to the ground.
      Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
      (use Irish accent)

Comment

Originally posted by Underhauled View Post
        Nice and reasonable. Bookmarked. Good find Birdman.
        No worries..
        Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
        (use Irish accent)

Comment

OK. Ordered a driveshaft 2nd hand and took a gamble that the intermediate shaft bracket on a B235R would be the same as a B204. Sadly the gamble did not pay off. Spent much time getting a circlip off and swearing lots. 20200516_133155.jpg20200516_160039.jpg
          Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
          (use Irish accent)

Comment

So that will be getting resold. What this has shown me is that my original plan of using the more traditional long 1 piece driveshaft will be simpler, so I will order a new Astra G drivers side shaft with CVs that fit an F23 gearbox. That is about as close as I can estimate the length required. This also means that the alternator and power steering pump will no be relocated as part of the intermediate shaft bearing carrier would have allowed that. So I found a picture of the actual 9000 aux belt setup that I have, with no aircon. By milling a chuck out of the top engine steady/ alternator support bracket, I have been able to fit this over the custom top engine mounting bracket. That sorts the alternator. The power steering pump I think I can either keep, fill with some fluid and connect outlet to inlet to keep bearing lubricated to keep that pulley in the belt run for cheapness.

This then would mean that I keep the standard Saab 9900 belt setup, without mods. It looks like I'm only missing the aux belt tensioner, part of a bracket and 2 x bolts. Keeping it simple and costs down. 20200517_150539.jpg20200517_150618.jpg20200517_150551.jpg
            Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
            (use Irish accent)

Comment

Picture of how the belts should look on a standard 9000 engine. Just the tensioner really to buy.

Once the new driveshaft arrives, I hope to move the engine forward 12 mm and across to wards passenger side approx. 8mm. This I hope will give enough clearance for the alternator pulley as it is tight to the frame now and also bring the driveshafts to almost straight position front to back. We will see. The learning curve goes on... saabbelt9000.png
              Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
              (use Irish accent)

Comment

Finished refurbing the monster sliding spline Chevrolet driveshaft setup ready for sale. It's a shame they won't work for my application. 20200517_113354.jpg20200517_113524.jpg20200517_113519.jpg
                Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                (use Irish accent)

Comment

Be glad when I can move on from driveshafts.. In the meantime I will be doing some Ebay to keep a trickle of money going for the project.
                  Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                  (use Irish accent)

Comment

Not much happened over the weekend, other than another SAAB intermediate shaft turned up in the post. This time it fits the F23 box as it is from a 93 old generation car. You can see from where I tried it, it fouls the huge power steering pump bracket. 20200521_094733.jpg
                    Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                    (use Irish accent)

Comment

Presumably you won't need power steering?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronski View Post
                        Presumably you won't need power steering?
                        No I won't be using PAS, but for the time being it is easier to keep the pulley, otherwise it will change the belt run. That driveshaft turned up after I had decided to go back to a 1 piece shaft on drivers side.
                        Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                        (use Irish accent)

Comment

Working...
                        X