No announcement yet.

Birdman's B204 MINI (Mid Engine RWD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hope to get everything properly measured and drawn up to have parts for trailing arm brackets plasma or laser cut in the next 10 days. Hope to get back on the white Mini in March / April. Probably just fated that plan, but you have to try..
    Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
    (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Was ill on Saturday, but luckily not the plague. Got some time on Sunday back on the project.. Made base plates for lower coil over mountings. Then tackled one of the upper mount curved bars. Really difficult as the notches are compound angles at one end and then the same on a bend the other. Managed to use a 40mm toilet roll tube to make a close template and then it all had to be notched by hand. I looked on You Tube and to do these notches at compound angles on bends, you need expensive kit , like £2k! I have it as close as I could get it in the time available. I hope to work the notch a little more before I'm happy. Then I think another tube running vertical may be needed to add strength. Somehow, I need to replicate on the other side. Not looking forward to that. All my fault and may not work out great, but you got to try. 20220109_142858.jpg 20220109_142724.jpg 20220109_142744.jpg
      Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
      (use Irish accent)

Comment

• With coil over dangling until I get top and bottom mounts plasma cut for accuracy. 20220109_153440.jpg 20220109_153504.jpg 20220109_153545.jpg 20220109_153801.jpg
        Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
        (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Shock angles look like they will be options of 20, 25 and 30 degrees.. Best I could do. Quite a lot more to do on the frame yet, so got to just tough it out the next couple of months.
          Last edited by Birdman; 11-01-2022, 03:28 PM.
          Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
          (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Managed to rough out the notches for the opposite curved tube today. Went better than the other side... The 38mm hole saw lost a tooth or two, so will be trying to get another quickly.. Had a play with making a strengthening tube (see pics). Have now realised that if I make a longer tube and move it towards the front of car, I could then run a tube slightly above cam cover to link to other side.. That should stop any loads deflecting the main down tubes. I think I will give that a go. Yes the engine tilts forwards.20220115_160004.jpg 20220115_160011.jpg
            Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
            (use Irish accent)

Comment

• I have a clash with Intercooler pipe work, now I'm considering positioning of support tube. Have decided I will get as much of the tubing cut, notched and tacked in place and sort out all of the semi trailing arm brackets and tack them in. Then take the frame off the engine for actual welding.. Will be so difficult otherwise... still learning
              Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
              (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Made anti roll bar clamp brackets today. Did by hand with grinder instead of new 38mm hole saw, as I reckon it would have got wrecked on this thick material. So saving it for tube notches. 20220122_112456.jpg 20220122_122142.jpg 20220122_122213.jpg 20220122_123514.jpg
                Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Much grinding, but strangely enjoyable. What else to do on a Saturday in January? 20220122_124034.jpg 20220122_130758.jpg 20220122_130727.jpg 20220122_130736.jpg
                  Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                  (use Irish accent)

Comment

• image_11739.jpg Also did more fettling on notches for curved suspension mounting tubes and tacked them in . 20220122_160607.jpg 20220122_163458.jpg 20220122_163518.jpg
                    Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                    (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Frame is coming along nicely
                      my build: http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4887
                      https://youtu.be/X7O46JmFPh0

Comment

• Originally posted by gazwad View Post
                        Frame is coming along nicely
                        Thanks Gary. It's a bit tougher than I had imagined and like all projects, you actually need 3 x the timescale.. Waiting on laser cut parts now for semi trailing arm brackets. I need quite a lot of key stuff at the same time, to be sure of all connecting parts. Looking today at adding some beefy brackets to trailing arms with hole options to try and effectively make the anti roll bar setup adjustable. When the rear frame is pretty much done, I will switch back to white road mini, because I will need that driveable to eventually get a mini shell into the garage. Life would be much simpler, but much more boring if I didn't keep doing crazy projects..
                        Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                        (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Getting pretty tight on Alternator pulley to anti roll bar clearance now.. Have to come up with some solution. Looks like up to 14 days for laser cut parts, then a weld fest.
                          Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                          (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Would you be able to move the arb brackets to the outside of the stops?
                            She'll make 0.5 past lightspeed, i made a lot of special modifications myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mighty Mallott View Post
                              Would you be able to move the arb brackets to the outside of the stops?
                              Hi, Its not a clearance issue there. It is the fact that I need to extend the alternator pulley outwards, which has to happen for a custom belt run.. I will find a way around it.. Just trying to use this anti roll bar, but if it is no good, then get something else. Thanks
                              Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                              (use Irish accent)

Comment

• OK, another weekend is over, but I got busy with more tube chopping and notching.. Strengthening tubes run upwards from suspension mount tube to diagonals. Then tube across, like a strut brace above cam cover to link other diagonal main tube. Had to position as in pics to allow removal of DI Pack (red coil on plugs). Notches will need some more fettling, but getting there.... 20220129_124433.jpg 20220129_163354.jpg 20220129_143448.jpg 20220129_124517.jpg
                                Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                                (use Irish accent)

Comment

Working...
                                X