Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ronski View Post
    That other turbo is really small, he says as an HGV truck fitter

One of out trucks, which is a straight six actually has twin turbos.
    Yes the standard SAAB turbo is small, but stage 3 map give 260 - 270hp, which is quite a good result just for a remap. I'll be saving that for a road car.. back on the frame today...
    Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
    (use Irish accent)

Comment

• 20211009_170107.jpg OK more progress on frame. Started welding up.. 20211014_173648.jpg
      Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
      (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Not my best welding, was suffering with a cold and my eyes not as good to see the weld pool properly. Have now got a cheater lens for my welding helmet and hope to try that out this weekend.. Notched the big main horizontal bar in pillar drill somehow and came out spot on. 20211016_140449.jpg 20211016_140503.jpg
        Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
        (use Irish accent)

Comment

• So it was time for another mock up with mdf trailing arm brackets and the arms themselves. Treated them to some spare black spray paint and arranged a few other items in rough positions. Trying out some different anti roll bar positions also. 20211016_153651.jpg 20211016_153714.jpg 20211016_164639.jpg 20211016_164657.jpg
          Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
          (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Anti roll bar no good there.... so change of position 20211016_165646.jpg 20211016_165702.jpg
            Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
            (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Took a quick look with coilover to che 20211016_170628.jpg 20211016_170643.jpg ck some angles
              Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
              (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Positioned some more bits and measured more.. 20211017_155118.jpg 20211017_155127.jpg
                Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                (use Irish accent)

Comment

• So next it will be a load more metal prepping and welding, to get the cradle done. I have some M12 Bolts, nuts and washers to upgrade to arriving. I have worked out some areas to gusset and will get those laser cut along with all parts for the trailing arm brackets. Tomorrow I will get 6 metres of 38mm roll cage tube. This will be for the main diagonal bars at 45 degrees linking main hoop to rear cradle bar. All to be notched and welded in. So plenty to do. Got a load of Rolok pads for next to nothing and ordered a holder for air drill. I hope to be able to use those inside the garage and avoid loads of sanding and grinding grit over the winter. Most of this, I do outside to keep the garage and my other mini clean.
                  Birdman
                  Last edited by Birdman; 20-10-2021, 05:53 PM.
                  Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                  (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Took a quick look at front MGF subframe and some spare curved bars for it. It will have the front 1/3rd cut away and removed. Seems on braking front, I can get calliper and 280 mm big disc kit for front on standard mgf callipers and I need 280 mm on rear. If I go to the AP Racing mgtf 4 pot callipers, you must use 16" wheels. Anyhow, issues further down the line. 20211016_095731.jpg 20211016_095739.jpg
                    Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                    (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Looks like I have some different position options with mgf frame and my coilovers. Straight up, slight angle through where the hydro gas units used to be, chop that area out and have them at 45 degrees, or may even be able to have them pick up off the centre of the lower suspension arm. I have a complete rear mgf subframe now for sale, with all brackets, bolts, hubs, discs , probably callipers , anti roll bar etc. Just driveshafts are chopped. Very suitable for someone wanting to do a k series mid engine project. I'll put in for sale section soon in case people are interested..
                      Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                      (use Irish accent)

Comment

• A weekend of drilling out holes to 12mm, prepping and grinding occurred. My cheater lens for welding helmet was then put to action along with air grinder an Roloc pads.. 20211023_132654.jpg 20211023_132705.jpg 20211023_132732.jpg 20211024_124329.jpg
                        Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                        (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Welding has improved mostly. A couple of not so easy welds joining 2.6mm wall rollcage tubing to 4mm box section. All a learning process.. 20211024_135917.jpg 20211024_135949.jpg
                          Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                          (use Irish accent)

Comment

• So after a good clean up to remove any spatter, I stripped everything and the old flimsy frame off of the trolley, leaving the engine and trans in place. Then assembled the new frame around it. This has gone well so far and in fact, because the new Rollcage main hoop is wider, I have gained up to 10cms of wriggle room. It's all a bit tricky measuring and calculating to make a kit that will actually fit a mini bodyshell that is not yet bought, but I took a load of measurements from my other mini and it seems on track to fit. I think the angled parts to the main floor bar may be 1- 1.5 degrees out, but hard to tell because my road car has sound deadening material over the inner sills. May need last minute shimming down the line. I probably wont weld the floor attachment plates to that bar until it's inside a mini, to get get the best fit I can.
                            Birdman
                            Last edited by Birdman; 25-10-2021, 04:48 PM.
                            Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                            (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Pretty happy with progress and I have now mocked up the main side 45 degree bars that link the roll hoop to the rear horizontal bar. I just used some plastic wastepipe I had kicking around and gaffa tape. From this on the drivers side I need to work out another curved tube to take the coilover top mounting and an engine mount bar for hanging type mount on timing end on cylinder head. With all the aux pulleys on that side, it is all going to get pretty tight. So this is the side that I must sort first, with some difficult notching to do. The other side should be much more simple. Anyhow, I'll get some pics again soon. Would really like to get the frame kit and front subframe done before year end, then buy a shell.
                              Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                              (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Regarding brakes, I will need some stopping power and am really thinking to go to 16" ET45 wheels all round. 40 - 45 series tyres. This would allow the MGTF 4 POT callipers at front and 304mm discs, then 280mm rear discs at rear. A bit of money, but brakes will need to be good, I'm sure. Not sure on rear callipers. The front pcd is MGF and rear is 4x 100, so I think I will bite the bullet and get the converter spacers to 4 x 100 at front. With ET45 offset and 7" rims, I still think I can bring the track in a fair bit.
                                Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                                (use Irish accent)

Comment

Working...
                                X