No announcement yet.

Birdman's B204 MINI (Mid Engine RWD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is also a conversion for the gearbox that I really would like for the future. It is basically designed for C20XE / LET , but B204 takes same gearbox bellhousing pattern, so could probably be done. It reworks the flywheel and clutch to mate to a DQ250 DSG gearbox from VAG cars and allows auto / paddle shift sequential gearchanges. The whole conversion, I think is going to be a couple of grand instead of £7 to 8 grand for a motorsport sequential gearbox. This is all way in the future dream though at this stage.
    Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
    (use Irish accent)

Comment

• I think I have decided to go with MGTF front subframe running some MGF 16" Hairpin alloys or some other 15" MGF wheels. Ideally I will want this complete with the top and bottom arms, hubs, brakes, anti roll bar, steering rack and power steering column. Then make my coilover suspension work with that frame. This will bring my front wheels out to match rear track width. Re drill rear GM drive flanges to smaller MGF PCD and I will get a good reduction in overall width around, due to wheels being somewhere in ET40 -45 range. Cheaper solution , with good scrub radius at front with the better hubs and wheel combo. This also means I could run up to 304mm discs at front, but more likely 280mm to fit either 15" or 16 wheels. Should stop a 650kg car pretty well. That is the plan.
      Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
      (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Just ordered some box section steel for the lower part of my rear frame.. I should get collect it next week.. In the meantime I got my head into some engineering maths and suspension calculations. I believe that using my JRZ 3 way suspension , I will need approx 650lbs effective spring rate at rear having closely estimated rear weight of car. I got a coilover spanner lazercut and set about dismantling 2 of the four units. Great luck , as that is their spring rate, so pretty sure I can make that work. The other springs were 800lbs, but I think I can use them on my XE Mini, because when I originally calculated my spring rates for that at 45 degrees, I went to strong. I think I have 850 or even 875lbs, so if I can swap to the 800lbs springs I should be going in the right direction.. Then I will later weigh the project car to determine front spring rates and angles. I will be therefore selling my huge Fox shocks to fund some more of the project as they are surplus to my needs. 20210904_123318.jpg 20210904_123345.jpg 20210904_130820.jpg
        Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
        (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Thinking more and more about an auto box with paddle shift for future. Noticed B207 Saab had this option, but I don't think B207 gearbox is straight swap onto B204 block.. Doubt it is as good as DSG operation, but worth looking into more. I also was doing some measuring up and reckon I will have quite a bit of room at the rear of the engine on the belt run, which lead me to evil thoughts of slapping on an Eaton supercharger and then twin charging the way VW systems work. Fair bit of weight penalty and hp drag, but would be a way to go to a much bigger top end turbo, with the charger handling the 1500 - 4000rpm range. The need for power is calling me.
          Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
          (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Great weather last week, so broke out the Chop saw, mini grinder and welder. Made a good start on cutting and bending parts to form the rear cradle part of the frame. I elected to go heavy and strong with 40 x40 box section with a 4mm wall. It is heavier stuff than using say 3mm roll cage tubing, but I have used this stuff before and the engine and box are much heavier than modern engines are.. Added to that, the power and torque figures are pretty bonkers on boosted Saabs.. 20210922_102711.jpg 20210922_123725.jpg 20210922_134213.jpg 20210922_145308.jpg
            Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
            (use Irish accent)

Comment

• So by the end of the first day, I had started to build a kit of parts, roughing out the bottom ski bars, the main bar that everything comes off of at the rear and the rear bar. I used the cut 3 sides and notch for clearance at angle technique for the bottom ski bars and then bent them. They will then get welded up when I'm happy with all angles an are a matching pair. 20210922_142745.jpg 20210922_170159.jpg
              Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
              (use Irish accent)

Comment

• The bottom ski bars will be bolt on, with an additional bar running across at 90 degrees to them at the rear of the cradle. This is to facilitate Gearbox and clutch swaps and engine out work, without having to remove the main rear frame.. Well that is the plan. The rest of the rear frame and front metal work, is a Rollcentre FIA multi point cage with dash bar, door bars and a removable diagonal. I got this from another member on this forum years back.. It is a bolt in cage and is ideal as I want the whole kit to be removeable if need be. The cage had had a few bits badly welded to it in some places, so a long day of cutting and grinding was needed to remove all that. After that, it was the matter of serious chopping and calculating for lopping off the main roll hoop feet and the rear bars that used to run to arches. 20210925_153820.jpg 20210925_153920.jpg
                Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Working off the floor seems OK and I just keep measuring many times and checking levels, although as we know, Roll cages are not that exact or mini shells. Tack welded the angled ends to the main bar and plonked the main cage on top. Need to drill holes in main bar before welding things together etc. Pretty happy with the progress so far even though much grinding and cutting is a messy job. 20210924_132543.jpg 20210924_132616.jpg
                  Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                  (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Next up will be to continue to build the bottom cradle and weld it up. Then order some 38 mm roll cage tube. I plan to also reuse as much of the tube I cut off to not waste that. Not decided whether I will get a tube notcher, or tube master guide and free hand the notching part. We will see.
                    Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                    (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Nice work, did it make "the beep"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronski View Post
                        Nice work, did it make "the beep"?
                        Unfortunately I don't have a Binky budget....so I just make the noise myself. It's actually more pleasurable that way.
                        Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                        (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Just bought mgf front and rear subframes complete with hubs, arms , steering rack etc.., which I will have to pick up some time next week.. I won't need the rear, but that was the deal, so that will be up for sale soon. Will save me the bother of getting a complete donor car and the transport / storage hassles that would have been involved.
                          Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                          (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdman View Post

Unfortunately I don't have a Binky budget....so I just make the noise myself. It's actually more pleasurable that way.
                            Lol, hate to think how much they've raised/spent. I bought a level very similar to yours recently, I made sure it had a beep

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronski View Post

Lol, hate to think how much they've raised/spent. I bought a level very similar to yours recently, I made sure it had a beep
                              Maybe it has a beep and I haven't turned it on. I never read the instructions. I'll take a look.

In the meantime... I have been continuing on with lower cradle fabrication. In my mind I convinced myself that a couple of weekends and it would be done, but it has been ages since it I built my last frame and have clearly got my time estimation wrong. Making various elements un-boltable (not sure that is a word), takes more time than just welding tubes and box section together. The main thing is that I am enjoying the activity again... for now. A couple of small hand / grinder accidents are making me slow down a bit.
                              Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                              (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Some progress: 20211003_172533.jpg 20211003_172549.jpg 20211003_172618.jpg
                                Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                                (use Irish accent)

Comment

Working...
                                X