Mid engine Clubman estate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid engine Clubman estate

After a few years away from this site I’m back!

This is my original build,
    http://www.16vminiclub.com/showthread.php?t=20194

I still have the mini but have had it Sorn for a few years. It will be back on the road soon.
    As we all know mini prices went to new heights making projects very expensive. I’ve always fancied doing a rear engine van or estate, but the prices were ridicules. Saw a front section of a “van” well the scuttle and windscreen it did have the VIN plate though starting price £750!!
    As luck would have it a friend stumbled across a barn find Mini Clubman Estate at a price I couldn’t refuse. As it was an unexpected find I’m certainly not prepared, so expect a long build.

DSC00651 by Gavin Bateman, on Flickr

DSC00634 by Gavin Bateman, on Flickr

DSC00643 by Gavin Bateman, on Flickr

Once the body is sorted, I plan to use an MGTF as a donor car, using both sub frames, fuel tank, seats, body panels etc. If it has a good engine I may fit into my present mini as the engine in that has over heated a couple of times.

I have plenty of time to look at engine options, but my initial thoughts are an Audi 1.8 turbo, which are anything from about 150 to 225 bhp or an Audi v6 (180bhp?) which is very compact. Either should fit in the back of the estate. There is a chap on YouTube fitting an Audi 1.8 T into the back of a Metro. The 1.8 T engine is an easy fit into a TF sub frame. I’ll watch and see how his build progresses before I make a final decision

Looking forward to starting this project

Gavin

Some progress made. Purchased an MOT fail MGTF for £340, it has a low mileage engine 59k that will go into my other mini as a replacement (Link above) . Most of my time has been chopping up the MGTF.

This isn't my car but you get the idea, It had failed on rusty sills by the rear subframe mounting...…… a common fault.

engine and gear box will go into my other mini, subframe will go into the Clubman estate.

After some striping and cutting. When I fit the front subframe I plan to reduce the width by about 4 inches and also reduce the length so the clubman front will fit.

Some more serious cutting! I plan to use as much as I can from the TF.

I've separated the fuel tank housing and plan to fit it into the back of the Clubman along with the TF fuel tank, it should just fit behind the front seats and in front of the engine, as per the MGTF. It will of course add a ton of strength to the mini and also make to fuel tank easy to install and seal (as per SVA regs just in case) It also includes the front mounts for the engine subframe. I have cut the as much off as possible today, I'll take a photo tomorrow.

I was undecided on the engine but with looking on eBay to much I brought this:-

Its a VW 1.8 Turbo from a Mk 4 Golf, its got the slightly bigger S turbo fitted, larger injectors, stand alone ECU, stainless steel exhaust manifold, water injection kit (I don't think I will use it) 5 speed gearbox and I was surprised to find it has a limited slip diff fitted. It was producing about 200BHP. There is a chap on YouTube fitted a similar engine (Audi 1.8 turbo) into the back of a Metro using a MGTF frame, it appears to be a very good fit.

I'm planning to get the subframes fitted etc before I start the body work of the Clubman, I don't want to end up cutting out newly replaced panels. Plus of course I want to make sure it all fits!

Hopefully due to the continued lock down I hope to make quite a bit of progress.

Comment

Pic only seem to show when I'm logged in?

Comment

Yeah, cannot see latest pictures mate. See what Admins can do to resolve possibly?
        Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
        (use Irish accent)

Comment

Some progress made. Purchased an MOT fail MGTF for £340, it has a low mileage engine 59k that will go into my other mini as a replacement (Link above) . Most of my time has been chopping up the MGTF.

​​

This isn't my car but you get the idea, It had failed on rusty sills by the rear subframe mounting...…… a common fault.

• Engine and gear box will go into my other mini, subframe will go into the Clubman estate.
          • After some striping and cutting. When I fit the front subframe I plan to reduce the width by about 4 inches and also reduce the length so the clubman front will fit.

I've separated the fuel tank housing and plan to fit it into the back of the Clubman along with the TF fuel tank, it should just fit behind the front seats and in front of the engine, as per the MGTF. It will of course add a ton of strength to the mini and also make to fuel tank easy to install and seal (as per SVA regs just in case) It also includes the front mounts for the engine subframe. I have cut the as much off as possible today, I'll take a photo tomorrow.

Its a VW 1.8 Turbo from a Mk 4 Golf, its got the slightly bigger S turbo fitted, larger injectors, stand alone ECU, stainless steel exhaust manifold, water injection kit (I don't think I will use it) 5 speed gearbox and I was surprised to find it has a limited slip diff fitted. It was producing about 200BHP.

I'm planning to get the subframes fitted etc before I start the body work of the Clubman, I don't want to end up cutting out newly replaced panels. Plus of course I want to make sure it all fits!

Hopefully due to the continued lock down I hope to make quite a bit of progress.

Comment

IMG-20200501-WA0001 by Gavin Bateman

• CIMG9725 by Gavin Bateman
            • After some striping and cutting. When I fit the front subframe I plan to reduce the width by about 4 inches and also reduce the length so the clubman front will fit.

Its a VW 1.8 Turbo from a Mk 4 Golf, its got the slightly bigger S turbo fitted, larger injectors, stand alone ECU, stainless steel exhaust manifold, water injection kit (I don't think I will use it) 5 speed gearbox and I was surprised to find it has a limited slip diff fitted. It was producing about 200BHP.

Comment

Took me a while to get round posting images, flicker add a ", on Flikr " after the BB info that I had to remove.

Comment

Nice . Another crazy build. Should be great.
                Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                (use Irish accent)

Comment

Had a day on the car, managed to get the MGTF fuel tank and housing in the back of the clubman.

A6C43311-452B-4F6E-8D95-C6CB8F6151B4 by Gavin Bateman

sorry about the poor pic, used my point and shoot and it’s focal range is a bit limited.

Not as easy as I had hoped still lots of work to fit it correctly but at least the theory seems sound. I still need to notch out the bottom of the housing to fit over the inner sills just in front of the heel board. I’m not sure at what stage I will have to weld the housing back together and weld it in place. It might have been easier to cut the floor out! Next step is to line up and fit the subframe and find the ideal location.

Comment

Nice, will be interesting to see how this progresses, I also have a mid engined Clubman albeit a saloon.

Comment

A bit more trimming and playing about and the tank and housing will fit, it does come apart to get it in and out, final fit will need it to be a permanent fix

F7C6E7F4-D147-4EAA-80BE-F7331D8B7D66 by Gavin Bateman

fitted a brace between the back windows ready for the rear sub frame to be removed along with most of rear floor, then lots of playing about to make sure the MGTF subframe and engine will fit

74AD1FA3-3A55-4ECC-8924-D0166EE4E632 by Gavin Bateman

Comment

Interesting stuff.
                        Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                        (use Irish accent)

Comment

Been fitting the engine into the sub frame, seems to fit well although nothing is fully bolted down and the engine mounting needs to be finished off.

008778BD-D441-4912-954F-55539FC4993A by Gavin Bateman

the drive shafts should be ok,

654D11B8-C645-4D9E-B04F-334E0753A234 by Gavin Bateman

8F632429-AD10-458B-A437-4B172B7AA5B8 by Gavin Bateman

I’m going to change the tiurbo , the present one is a KO3s the exhaust is in the wrong place so I have ordered a KO4. 015 turbo as fitted to the Audi TT the exhaust outlet is straight plus will give an extra 25 bhp.

718D6814-BBBA-4640-993F-8E70809256B5 by Gavin Bateman

I’ve also sent off my Omex ECU to get updated and checked and have a basic run program installed.

next will be cutting the floor out!

Comment

Working...
                          X