Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackbird turbo powered mini

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Phaeton View Post

    Good job you're 1% right then

    that’s good news for me then right??

    ive read so much about the iva’s in mini forums and there was a massive debate about even the ERA turbos being a touchy subject as they have cut bulkheads?

    I said this would open a can of worms haha. I’ll have a read of the link below too 👍🏼

    dave

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Ronski View Post
      Zcars can pass an IVA (the proofs in the thread below), as can any other correctly modified and prepared car, but most people don't know they need one or can't be bothered.

      http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums...st-list-hints/
      Just had a read, and interesting it was. I’ve done everything right apart from a few clips, steering column/wheel padding and my biased valve (which isn’t fixed at one position and can be adjusted at any time)

      only one thing.....that link/thread is from 2009. A lot of stuff has changed since then (kit cars/classics and such like) a lot of log books are getting held back.

      certainly not arguing with anyone on this matter, as I only know what I’ve read on the net, and a lot of you guys are more in the know than myself. If that 2009 link is still in date, I’ll happily take mine for IVA as I’m confident in my work and able to follow the rules.

      Dave

      Comment


      • http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums...e-an-iva-test/

        this is the thread I was on about.

        Again, sorry if people think I’m being a “know it all”, not at all, just relaying what I have read 👍🏼

        Dave

        Comment


        • Are you not confusing 2 issues here? Over on the children's forum they appear to be talking about cutting a chuck out of the car i.e.modifying the chassis & then wanting to continue to drive the car as if nothing has changed, you on the other hand are building a modified car & intend to submit it for the appropriate IVA test, which with the correct work there is no reason why it should fail, although it's likely to be 2 attempts, unless you are very good 😀

          Comment


          • Originally posted by steelman75 View Post
            love this ,,,one question though
            ime just about to buy in a donor car have the shell with all the unneeded bits of shell removed so how do you go about registering this on another forum ime a member of the biva iva police keep chirping up do you just build it then pay the fee for an expensive mot
            Can I just say, this has to be the Mini Forum. I fell out with them around 10 years ago on the subject of modifying Mini's. I ran mine on the road for 8 years without any issues with police. The only thing I was asked to do was make sure the engine number and cc's were correct on the V5 so when it went for MOT it all matched. That is just filling in the V5 with the data and a receipt of the purchase of the engine.

            Sorry Dave. We shouldn't take up your build with chat.
            If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by AGoaty View Post

              Can I just say, this has to be the Mini Forum. I fell out with them around 10 years ago on the subject of modifying Mini's. I ran mine on the road for 8 years without any issues with police. The only thing I was asked to do was make sure the engine number and cc's were correct on the V5 so when it went for MOT it all matched. That is just filling in the V5 with the data and a receipt of the purchase of the engine.

              Sorry Dave. We shouldn't take up your build with chat.
              dont need to apologise buddy, just hard when theres so many different stories, forums, people who know best etc. I'm starting to learn which forums are hard work haha.

              I ran my smart car with no issues and technically I made everything fit in the subframe without modifying it in any way.....I just made a subframe that bolted into that one

              I will do everything that I've mentioned so far and go from there. worst thing is tho......I've misplaced my vin tag!! what a bloody idiot!!!!!!!!!!! can I get a new one made up? or can I stamp my own? obviously I have a log book etc, old pics of the car blah blah

              Dave

              Comment


              • Originally posted by evenbiggerdave View Post
                worst thing is tho......I've misplaced my vin tag!! what a bloody idiot!!!!!!!!!!! can I get a new one made up? or can I stamp my own? obviously I have a log book etc, old pics of the car blah blahDave
                I believe they can be remade provided you give proof that you actually own the car (eg scanning them a copy of the V5). I think a couple of the Mini shops can do them but I can't remember who. Try the Resto places like Somerford, they should be able to help or at least point you in the direction of someone who can help
                Watsons frame in a standard length front, they said it was impossible ...

                Build Thread - standard length round nose B series with Watsons frame, it is possible

                Comment


                • Originally posted by AGoaty View Post

                  Can I just say, this has to be the Mini Forum. I fell out with them around 10 years ago on the subject of modifying Mini's. I ran mine on the road for 8 years without any issues with police. The only thing I was asked to do was make sure the engine number and cc's were correct on the V5 so when it went for MOT it all matched. That is just filling in the V5 with the data and a receipt of the purchase of the engine.

                  Sorry Dave. We shouldn't take up your build with chat.
                  Filling out the V5 with the correct CC's and engine number is exactly why I got caught out. I modified my Mini back in 1991, but never completed it, but I did write the engine number and new CC on the log book. Last year I found the log book and sent it off for a change of address, the new 1998cc and new engine number arouses DVLA 's suspicions and they refuse to send out new log book, asking me to fill out a "Built up vehicle inspection report", which in turn leads to an IVA test. Oh and they also wanted pictures of the car and the VIN plates, which I also lost. As my cars nowhere near complete I took it no further, but I fully intend to build it to comply with an IVA test.

                  Most people don't bother with an IVA, but strictly speaking the car is not legal, most get away with it, but people do and will get caught out and I can only see this becoming more common. There is a points scoring system that basically decides whether a modified car needs an IVA test.

                  https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registrat...tered-vehicles

                  And once it's been through an IVA test that forms the cars new basis for points scoring, this can be used to ones advantage, if I IVA'd mine with the Lancia engine, then I wouldn't need a CAT, then I could change the engine to the turbo one, but as I'd only changed the engine I'd score enough points not to need an IVA, so still wouldn't need a CAT for instance. So you do the bare minimum to pass an IVA, then do other mods afterwards, as long as you still score more than 8 points you don't need another IVA

                  Originally posted by evenbiggerdave View Post

                  dont need to apologise buddy, just hard when theres so many different stories, forums, people who know best etc. I'm starting to learn which forums are hard work haha.

                  I ran my smart car with no issues and technically I made everything fit in the subframe without modifying it in any way.....I just made a subframe that bolted into that one

                  I will do everything that I've mentioned so far and go from there. worst thing is tho......I've misplaced my vin tag!! what a bloody idiot!!!!!!!!!!! can I get a new one made up? or can I stamp my own? obviously I have a log book etc, old pics of the car blah blah

                  Dave
                  I think the biggest problem is interpreting the requirements, as the IVA booklets I've seen cover so many different scenario's it makes it hard to understand what's required. In my mind most of it is safety related, so it's in our interests really - we'll be driving our creations after all.

                  On your car Dave I believe you'll need a heat shield between the radiator and the fuel tank, I'm sure I've read that somewhere, you also need a steering column that will fold up (can't remember what you have) in an accident, unlike the original Mini which is a spear just waiting to impale the driver.

                  As for your missing VIN plate

                  https://www.minisport.com/lmg1054s-a...is-number.html
                  http://www.classic-plates.com/
                  http://www.retrominisltd.co.uk/index...oducts_id=1290
                  Last edited by Ronski; 03-02-2020, 08:15 PM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Ronski View Post

                    Filling out the V5 with the correct CC's and engine number is exactly why I got caught out. I modified my Mini back in 1991, but never completed it, but I did write the engine number and new CC on the log book. Last year I found the log book and sent it off for a change of address, the new 1998cc and new engine number arouses DVLA 's suspicions and they refuse to send out new log book, asking me to fill out a "Built up vehicle inspection report", which in turn leads to an IVA test. Oh and they also wanted pictures of the car and the VIN plates, which I also lost. As my cars nowhere near complete I took it no further, but I fully intend to build it to comply with an IVA test.

                    Most people don't bother with an IVA, but strictly speaking the car is not legal, most get away with it, but people do and will get caught out and I can only see this becoming more common. There is a points scoring system that basically decides whether a modified car needs an IVA test.

                    https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registrat...tered-vehicles

                    And once it's been through an IVA test that forms the cars new basis for points scoring, this can be used to ones advantage, if I IVA'd mine with the Lancia engine, then I wouldn't need a CAT, then I could change the engine to the turbo one, but as I'd only changed the engine I'd score enough points not to need an IVA, so still wouldn't need a CAT for instance. So you do the bare minimum to pass an IVA, then do other mods afterwards, as long as you still score more than 8 points you don't need another IVA



                    I think the biggest problem is interpreting the requirements, as the IVA booklets I've seen cover so many different scenario's it makes it hard to understand what's required. In my mind most of it is safety related, so it's in our interests really - we'll be driving our creations after all.

                    On your car Dave I believe you'll need a heat shield between the radiator and the fuel tank, I'm sure I've read that somewhere, you also need a steering column that will fold up (can't remember what you have) in an accident, unlike the original Mini which is a spear just waiting to impale the driver.

                    As for your missing VIN plate

                    https://www.minisport.com/lmg1054s-a...is-number.html
                    http://www.classic-plates.com/
                    http://www.retrominisltd.co.uk/index...oducts_id=1290
                    nice one, thanks for the links.

                    yeah I was gonna add a heat shield, but with it doubling up as a bit of tank protection too as its only plastic. The column.....its is still like a spear, so that is something I need to address. I have a landrover section somewhere which is like a collapsible mesh, and a bmw one which is corrugated. i'll see what I can do with one of them!

                    I haven't really got many more updates apart from the clutch, brakes and throttle are all in and sorted. front waterpipes re made and looking good. mounted the battery behind the passenger seat. Main thing left is the intercooler and rear water pipes then its off to the auto electrician to be wired up.

                    Dave

                    Comment


                    • You can also cut down the existing column & put in a couple of UJ's on it which will allow it to move

                      Comment


                      • Dave, it will be interesting to see how you get on with an IVA.

                        Comment


                        • yes sorry fella with the iva taking away from the build was curious and being mine is similaire in terms of the metal work added/taken away i thought you must have a plan to get it through its a great build be fantastic to see this on the road i have a few blackbirds and blackbird engined special bikes here so i know how potent they are just need to watch number three rod bearing

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by steelman75 View Post
                            yes sorry fella with the iva taking away from the build was curious and being mine is similaire in terms of the metal work added/taken away i thought you must have a plan to get it through its a great build be fantastic to see this on the road i have a few blackbirds and blackbird engined special bikes here so i know how potent they are just need to watch number three rod bearing
                            No need for apologies mate!! That’s why we’re all on this forum, to chat stuff through 🤗

                            interesting If you have a build thread or something? I have a spare engine too, so If all this works ill build a faster/stronger engine haha

                            Dave

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Ronski View Post
                              Dave, it will be interesting to see how you get on with an IVA.
                              I’m doing plenty of reading buddy, starting to see what I have to alter! will see how I get on! 👍🏼

                              Dave

                              Comment


                              • So, got some group 2 ultra wide arches (I think) from ABS motorsport! They only do fronts do I ordered 2 sets.....abs they actually fit better on the rear than they do the front!

                                bought some adaptors to go to 4x100 stud pattern too. Got some 15” VW wheels that I will have banded for fill the arch.

                                i personally think it looks awesome!! The arches are screwed on at no, but will rivnut with m5 button heads for easy removal. The front end is a super tight non forgiving fit and I think I’ll end up cracking the arches if I don’t remove them first!

                                ECU should be here early part of the week....apart from I’m working away from tomor til Thursday! Typical.

                                Dave
                                Attached Files

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X