Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oz
    replied
    I refitted the engine just to make sure the clearances were stil ok on the front. Then trial fitted the exhaust manifold to check for clearance on the gear linkage. Small steps but getting closer.

IMG_20210529_1633478.jpg

IMG_20210529_1633092.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    I was struggling to get to the under side of my car as it was sat on a pallet board on 4 wheel dollies so I decided to treat myself to this

IMG_20210522_1453066.jpg

Access is so much better plus the ability to tilt it makes getting proper clearance without crawling under it on my back is great.

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    Originally posted by GEORDIE SP1 View Post
    Looking good, making progress ✅
    Thanks. It just seems to be taking forever at the moment to get anything done.

Leave a comment:

• GEORDIE SP1
    replied
    Looking good, making progress ✅

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    Redid the front panel mounts and got everything lined up properly. Removeable front end works so just need to get it welded together now!

IMG_20210515_1511469.jpg
    ​​​​
    I've had to reverse my original plan of welding in the threaded plates to the rear of the crossmember as for some reason I was having clearance issues with the front panel and rad. I put a bolt in from the back and a nut on the outside and that about sorts the clearance problem.

Having a bolt in the frame does help with lining up the front end when fitting it on the car.
    Last edited by Oz; 16-05-2021, 11:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    Originally posted by fynnbar View Post
    😫😣
    Yup, that about sums it up

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    pics

Tower mounts welded in

IMG_20210508_1337138.jpg

Front end bolted up but through wrong holes

IMG_20210508_1614105.jpg

IMG_20210512_0941568.jpg
    Last edited by Oz; 16-05-2021, 11:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• fynnbar
    replied
    😫😣

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    Have you ever worked through a job to its conclusion then realised you missed a step and you have to go back and do it again ????

I got the welded in threaded plates off the frame after some struggles, welded up the old holes and got the subframe back on the car, lined teh front end back up and redrilled the holes .... only to sit back and look at it seemingly done only to realised I'd forgotten to weld up the holes in the front panel and I'd drilled the holes in the subframe through the old holes that were no longer square in the front panel

So job for next Saturday is to redo last Saturday's job but properly this time !

I did get the Tower Mounts welded up properly. The welds aren't my finest by a long shot but its done ok.

Slow steps forward...

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    Two steps forward and one step back today. I managed to relocate the mounting plates on the front panel so the front end is no longer under tension but the mounting holes and captive nut plates I drilled and welded to the subframe are now completely in the wrong place! I knew there'd be some misalignment as the front panel was bending under the tension which I thought could be sorted by slotting the holes drilled in the mounting plates) but I wasn't expecting it to be quite so large.

Lesson #1 - dont weld captive nuts in until you are absolutely sure that they are in the right place!!
    Last edited by Oz; 03-05-2021, 04:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    About 2 hours to drill 4 hole was today's progress! Drilling through thick blobs of weld (where I'd filled holes and ended up needing them again) is tough. I now have several broken and blunt drill bits of various sizes :/

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    The front bar reinforcement is now welded on

IMG_20210417_1633564.jpg

Leave a comment:

• MiniMike
    replied
    Ouch is right.. hope it's not too bad..

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    Also in a momentary lapse of concentration I picked up a hot piece of metal without my gloves on...

IMG_20210410_1830327.jpg

Ouch!

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    I've just about finishing sorting my subframe.

I've boxed in the cut-out I've had to make to clear the exhaust manifold

IMG_20210410_1622597.jpg

IMG_20210410_1623035.jpg

I'm concerned at how thin it had to be cut so just to add some extra bracing I have decided to weld a length of 1"x1" thick wall box across the front as well. I think if I were to ever do another one I'd remake the crossmember in tube and put a shallow bend in it so it'd go up inside the front valance.

IMG_20210410_1626532.jpg

Next I decided to beef up the floor mounts of the Watsons frame because I'd cut them and ended up welding back the pieces I'd cut off. I welded some 3mm plate on the underside and also drilled it and plug welded it to the original mounts just for good measure!

IMG_20210410_1623137.jpg

I think once I've got the box section welded on the front crossmember it's ready to be fitted to the car to drill the floor mounts back in which had been welded up and get the tower mounts remade as I wasn't happy with the first attempt.

Once done I think it's ready for blasting and painting or powdercoating. Once done it's ready for the build up of the car once the bodywork has been finished and the shell painted.

Is that light at the end of the tunnel I'm seeing??
    Last edited by Oz; 10-04-2021, 05:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X