Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dobey
    replied
    Hahaha wel in that case you can only find out how good your own repairs have been during that period.. LOL..
    I've found some interesting repairs on several cars in the past.. Welding patches over rust holes and a lot of body filler over that same patch, for example..

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    Hopefully none, the car is a 96 Cooper and I bought it in 98 with 4500 miles lol

Leave a comment:

• Dobey
    replied
    Yeah that helps a lot and in some cases you find out how "good" the repairs of the previous owner(s) are

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    The one benefit is that I'll be replacing both sills so i will take the opportunity to clean up and treat any surface rust inside the box sections whilst the sills are off and then paint with a suitable weld through primer.

Leave a comment:

• Dobey
    replied
    Yeah it’s best to get the complete panel instead of patching. Unless it’s somewhere on the bottom. At least that’s how i feel

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    The frustrating thing is that my shell is really sound but just a few small holes. I'm of the mind set that replacement is better than patching so it's full panel replacement on the cards.

Leave a comment:

• Dobey
    replied
    We have all been there. I know when i bought my mini 1300 turbo. The guy said: only minor rust. Oh boy was he wrong.

eventually you will get it all. Hold on

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    Minis are such rust traps Spent the afternoon digging rust out of various seams and finding random rust holes. A bit fed up at the mo...

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    I refitted the engine just to make sure the clearances were stil ok on the front. Then trial fitted the exhaust manifold to check for clearance on the gear linkage. Small steps but getting closer.

IMG_20210529_1633478.jpg

IMG_20210529_1633092.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    I was struggling to get to the under side of my car as it was sat on a pallet board on 4 wheel dollies so I decided to treat myself to this

IMG_20210522_1453066.jpg

Access is so much better plus the ability to tilt it makes getting proper clearance without crawling under it on my back is great.

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    Originally posted by GEORDIE SP1 View Post
    Looking good, making progress ✅
    Thanks. It just seems to be taking forever at the moment to get anything done.

Leave a comment:

• GEORDIE SP1
    replied
    Looking good, making progress ✅

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    Redid the front panel mounts and got everything lined up properly. Removeable front end works so just need to get it welded together now!

IMG_20210515_1511469.jpg
    ​​​​
    I've had to reverse my original plan of welding in the threaded plates to the rear of the crossmember as for some reason I was having clearance issues with the front panel and rad. I put a bolt in from the back and a nut on the outside and that about sorts the clearance problem.

Having a bolt in the frame does help with lining up the front end when fitting it on the car.
    Last edited by Oz; 16-05-2021, 11:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    Originally posted by fynnbar View Post
    😫😣
    Yup, that about sums it up

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    pics

Tower mounts welded in

IMG_20210508_1337138.jpg

Front end bolted up but through wrong holes

IMG_20210508_1614105.jpg

IMG_20210512_0941568.jpg
    Last edited by Oz; 16-05-2021, 11:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X