X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oz
    replied
    Originally posted by Minicooper View Post
    Hello Oz, I'm looking for a lift similar to what you have, any link for your lift?

Cheers
    David
    https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/563...pivot-car-lift

They've gone up a lot in price since I bought mine though. There are other places that do similar lifts but I went Sealey because we have a local dealer so I didn't pay any shipping and the other places were too much when shipping was added.

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    Originally posted by fynnbar View Post
    Oz
    In what manner is the rear arch a bad fit?
    The Arches I had were 4 front arches so the arches, if fitted to the rear don't curve around following the wheel arch line on the body but straighten out so the back of the arch points backwards well past the rear vertical seam between the rear panel and the rear quater panel.

Leave a comment:

• Minicooper
    replied
    Hello Oz, I'm looking for a lift similar to what you have, any link for your lift?

Cheers
    David

Leave a comment:

• fynnbar
    replied
    Oz
    In what manner is the rear arch a bad fit?

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    Been plugging away over the weeks. The rear end is finished and one out of two doors has a new door skin. Oddly it looks like the last set of door skins that were fitted when the car was converted appear to have been fitted over a rusty door frame so theres had to be some repair to both frames.

I've ditched my earlier front arches and ended up fitting a set of Watsons wide sportspack front arches. The wide rears I have don't follow the right line so I'm in the middle of cutting and splicing together the front end of the wide arch and the back end of a standard FG sportspack arch. Hopefully that'll sort the rear out.

IMG_20220223_1132096.jpg
    IMG_20220223_1132244.jpg
    IMG_20220223_1132373.jpg
    IMG_20220223_1132307.jpg
    IMG_20220223_1134245.jpg

/\/\/\ I'm also going to attempt to splice in the piece that goes along the sill seam from the standard FG arch as the wider ones I have didn't have them.. wish me luck!
    Last edited by Oz; 23-02-2022, 06:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    It's been a while but we are slowly getting through the rust repairs. Only one sill replaced in the end. Hidden rot in the boot and rear panel are being sorted

​​​​​​
    IMG_20211204_1546592.jpg

Also re-tubbed rear arches as they had clearly been bodged and weren't even fully cut out and full of filler !

IMG_20211204_1546521.jpg
    Last edited by Oz; 05-12-2021, 07:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dobey
    replied
    Hahaha wel in that case you can only find out how good your own repairs have been during that period.. LOL..
    I've found some interesting repairs on several cars in the past.. Welding patches over rust holes and a lot of body filler over that same patch, for example..

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    Hopefully none, the car is a 96 Cooper and I bought it in 98 with 4500 miles lol

Leave a comment:

• Dobey
    replied
    Yeah that helps a lot and in some cases you find out how "good" the repairs of the previous owner(s) are

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    The one benefit is that I'll be replacing both sills so i will take the opportunity to clean up and treat any surface rust inside the box sections whilst the sills are off and then paint with a suitable weld through primer.

Leave a comment:

• Dobey
    replied
    Yeah it’s best to get the complete panel instead of patching. Unless it’s somewhere on the bottom. At least that’s how i feel

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    The frustrating thing is that my shell is really sound but just a few small holes. I'm of the mind set that replacement is better than patching so it's full panel replacement on the cards.

Leave a comment:

• Dobey
    replied
    We have all been there. I know when i bought my mini 1300 turbo. The guy said: only minor rust. Oh boy was he wrong.

eventually you will get it all. Hold on

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    Minis are such rust traps Spent the afternoon digging rust out of various seams and finding random rust holes. A bit fed up at the mo...

Leave a comment:

• Oz
    replied
    I refitted the engine just to make sure the clearances were stil ok on the front. Then trial fitted the exhaust manifold to check for clearance on the gear linkage. Small steps but getting closer.

IMG_20210529_1633478.jpg

IMG_20210529_1633092.jpg

Leave a comment:

Working...
X