No announcement yet.

My Vtec Cooper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not much done this weekend as I had other things going on but I did manage to make a filler piece and weld up the notch I took out of the RH brace to help fit the rad.

Last edited by Oz; 29-04-2019, 07:51 AM.
    Watsons frame in a standard length front, they said it was impossible ...

Build Thread - standard length round nose B series with Watsons frame, it is possible

Comment

• not sure on how thin that has gone Oz ..
      Mini Restoration on YouTube, donate to club running costs : [email protected]

Comment

• Originally posted by MattG View Post
        not sure on how thin that has gone Oz ..
        at the narrowest point it is half the width of the tube right down at the bottom (approx. 20mm wide + the triangulation plate) and it tapers wider. The filler piece is 3mm plate and I will eventually be putting a new triangulation plate in 3mm (current is about 1.5mm) and extending it further up the tube but I need to work on the engine position first as since I fitted the poly mounts the engine doesn't want to sit in the same place as before, I just need to move it back a little more and will also tip engine a little further forward so it will move the gearbox a little further back to give a bit more room for a bigger triangulation plate.

Build Thread - standard length round nose B series with Watsons frame, it is possible

Comment

• I've been very quiet as I ended up getting frustrated with the build and decided to take the summer hols off.

In dropping the AWD idea I realised the cuts made to the bulkhead and inner wings have largely f**ked my shell and it now needs serious body repairs by someone who knows what they are doing to the point I've been pricing up whether now a Heritage Shell might actually be financially viable rather than massive panel replacements and fixing the various rust holes in the shell. Some of you may have seen my post asking for advice:-

https://www.16vminiclub.com/showthread.php?t=38894

After getting some shipping quotes for a Shell to Jersey and getting someone local who repairs Minis to look over it it appears that repairing my shell is going to be cheaper.

I'm awaiting a big parcel from Minispares of panels and the local guy reckons he'll be able to get my car in at the start of October for the work.

I still have fitment concerns over the Custom-Mini frame and at some point soon I will need to decide where I go subframe-wise.

I'm starting to wish I hadn't started this rebuild at all !!!!

Comment

• im after a bulkhead for playing about with mate

hope your head is a bit better now you made a decision ... here if you need me

Comment

• A sort of update. I have a mate who ran a body shop for 30 odd years who has stepped in and has done some sterling work on my shell over the last few weeks to deal with the damage and rust so hopefully it shouldn't be long before I can get back in to finishing the dry build with a view to getting it ready for painting by the Christmas hols. Even though I bought a new bulkhead my mate has managed to do a great job on the existing bulkhead so I don't actually need it now.

There will still be a good amount of work to do on the main build once painted as I know there will still be some fitment issues with ancillaries such as the H&S manifold still doesn't look like a particularly good fit around the sump. I may end up getting the collector completely remade.

I do feel a corner is turned tho and I'm almost looking forward to getting back at the build now

Comment

• im still after a bulkhead

Comment

• I actually got a couple of hours in my garage after 4 months. 10 days after my last post above my father had a heart attack and stroke and was in hospital for 3 months where at times we though we were going to lose him, it was a very tough time for us as a family and the worst Christmas because of this. He defied the prognosis where we were told categorically that he'd never walk again and would need to go in to a Nursing Home as he'd need 24 hour care and he took his first tentative steps with a Zimmer Frame on New Years Eve and has since returned to his home. Thankfully he's been making good progress but it's clear he has a long way to go and at his age I'm not sure he'll ever fully recover. I read that whilst we're busy growing up we don't notice our parents growing old. This was a serious wake up call to this.

I now have to start looking at the issue of the front crossmember. I refitted the Custom-Minis subframe (for the umpteenth time) and dropped in the motor to see exactly how much room I've got to play with. The big issue is the way the engine goes in to the frame. It has to be dropped in gearbox first and at an angle from the bulkhead to get the diff housing past the rear upper crosmember of the frame then it sort of swings itself parallel to the bulkhead as it levels out. Because of this I can't really see a way to move the crossmember back by enough as the bell housing and sump pass within 15mm from the crossmember as is and it really needs to come back about 30mm.

This leaves me with two options, either to cover the crossmember with a spoiler (which kinda goes against the sleeper look I want) or find a way to make a removable crossmember. I've looked a lot at how Allspeed do it but it looks like because their frame has no back (only top and bottom crossmembers) allowing the engine to go further back in to the frame during fitting, if I used the Allspeed design it would still catch on the bell housing and sump. Any one got any ideas or better still, pics ?

Looking back at my diary most of my recent photos no longer show as they were hosted locally on the forum but as the forum has moved so have the pics meaning the URLs are no longer correct. I'll have to look at this at some point.
                  Last edited by Oz; 19-02-2020, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• fetch?photoid=578672.jpg
                    I had to rush out before I could post pic of crossmember (as the others aren't showing at moment). NB the manifold is fitted after the engine goes in frame

This is how far it sticks out beyond the front valance

fetch?photoid=578640.jpg
                    Last edited by Oz; 17-02-2020, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• Chop the front bar out and make a new front bar 1/2 it's diameter. Weld back in and add gussets where it meets the frame on either side. It will be v tight up inside the front lip area. I made mine like that. You just need enough strength to keep the frame from flexing under loads. In a crash the engine and box are going to take the brunt of the forces anyway. This is the only way to keep the total stealth original look. Use the old bar as a guide to fabricate new one and measure 3 times...
                      Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
                      (use Irish accent)

Comment

• Originally posted by Oz View Post
                        I actually got a couple of hours in my garage after 4 months. 10 days after my last post above my father had a heart attack and stroke and was in hospital for 3 months where at times we though we were going to lose him, it was a very tough time for us as a family and the worst Christmas because of this. He defied the prognosis where we were told categorically that he'd never walk again and would need to go in to a Nursing Home as he'd need 24 hour care and he took his first tentative steps with a Zimmer Frame on New Years Eve and has since returned to his home. Thankfully he's been making good progress but it's clear he has a long way to go and at his age I'm not sure he'll ever fully recover. I read that whilst we're busy growing up we don't notice our parents growing old. This was a serious wake up call to this.
                        Not to hijack your thread, but on December 20, I had an accident going to work, I was on my motorbike and a SUV hit me from behind sending me straight to a wall. I was in the ER god knows how long with a broken pelvis, broken femur, internal bleeding, etc..and I was wearing top quality protection gear..I woke up one surgeries later with an external fixation to hold my pelvis unable to move..not even my toes..
                        My girlfriend was pregnant at the time and to cut long story sort, having the baby coming as a motivation, now, against all odds, I walk with a single forearm crutch and despite being quarantined, I couldn't be happier holding my two week old baby boy! Doctors say that I'll be in perfect condition in a couple of months!

Keep your father motivated. A positive mindset does wonders. Experiences like these are life changing. Hope he fully recovers!

Comment

• Thank you mate. Sorry to hear about your accident, please accept my best wishes and I hope your recovery continues going well.

We had our son 7 years ago and I have to say that my garage time dropped considerably after he was born lol.

Comment

• This car is fighting me all the way. I test fitted the RH suspension and wheel only to find the wheel hits the gearbox and bottom rad hose. I tried a 5mm spacer but that didn't help IMG_20200514_1121093.jpg

IMG_20200514_1118278.jpg

IMG_20200514_1113509.jpg

IMG_20200514_1115216.jpg

Comment

• Right, after a couple of days sulking I thought I'd try something I'd not tried. I removed the Custom Minis frame and refitted the Watsons frame in it's original position as my mate has now welded up the gaping hole in my bulkhead. I dropped in my B16 and discovered something unexpected, both good and bad. Bad first, the B16s gearbox is actually bigger underneath than the CRV AWD box and since I've dropped the mounting points 20mm the gearbox fouls the RH side of the frame. Good thing is that when I started messing around with my old wings and front panel I very quickly realised that I could lose pretty much all of the space that I used to have in front of my engine and without really trying I found a 40mm extension covers it all amply. One issue I had with the Custom Minis frame was that the front wheels still sat forward in the wheel arch and it meant that when I fitting my sportspack arches the wheels rubbed on the front part when turning. The way it is now mean the arch and wheel fit much better.

I still have to try my new rad and the exhaust manifolds to see how things go but I'm now so fed up with it being in the garage and not driving I'm going to press ahead with it as it is and put up with a much smaller extension (40mm as opposed to the 110mm I had before)
                              Last edited by Oz; 17-05-2020, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• Gearbox fouling
                                IMG_20200517_1009068.jpg

Rough mock up of extension to front

IMG_20200517_1045203.jpg

IMG_20200517_1045269.jpg

IMG_20200517_1045400.jpg

IMG_20200517_1045493.jpg

continued below
                                Last edited by Oz; 17-05-2020, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X