No announcement yet.

My Vtec Cooper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I also spotted this on AWDs build - note the box built in to the bulkhead just off-centre:-

This would seem to line up with the bracket that holds the gear change cables on the back/top of the CRV box which shows how far back the gearbox has to go to get clearance for a standard round nose fit. You can see on the pic of my subframe that the rear crossmember tube would be a big issue if trying to squeeze under a standard round nose with that frame. I see on AWDs front frame that he has an upper rear crossmember that is cranked upwards to clear this bracket (just to right of the top bolt of the rear engine mount where it bolts to diff housing):-

Also just generally he has no back at all to the frame between the lower and upper rear crossmembers.
    Last edited by Oz; 06-02-2019, 11:53 AM.
    Watsons frame in a standard length front, they said it was impossible ...

Build Thread - standard length round nose B series with Watsons frame, it is possible

Comment

• Even with the Clubman had to notch bulkhead to clear gear cable bracket.
      Middle of pic .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks GEORDIE, something else for me to bear in mind

Build Thread - standard length round nose B series with Watsons frame, it is possible

Comment

• Originally posted by GEORDIE SP1 View Post
          Even with the Clubman had to notch bulkhead to clear gear cable bracket.
          Middle of pic .[ATTACH]8651[/ATTACH]

GEORDIE, how is the notch in the bulkhead in relation to the Mini pedal box (if you are still using the Mini pedal box) ? Does it affect the clutch pedal travel or does the pedal clear it ok ?

Also I presume you aren't running a heater as it looks like the notch would also interfere with the side of the heater too ?

Comment

• Heater is fine, still plenty of room, pedals were dog legged to clear steering rack panel anyway, think it’s all in my build somewhere,

Comment

• Originally posted by GEORDIE SP1 View Post
              Heater is fine, still plenty of room, pedals were dog legged to clear steering rack panel anyway, think it’s all in my build somewhere,

Thanks GEORDIE, you do reference dog-legging the pedals in your build but there aren't any photos of what you did to them. Any chance of a pic of the dog-legged pedals ?

Comment

• I ordered a Hasport AWD conversion transmission mount and the Engine side mount to suit my engine.

There was a little issue with the Transmission Mount

One hole needed enlarging

then all was good

Last edited by Oz; 13-02-2019, 02:07 PM.

Comment

• Dropped the B20 and box in to my Watsons frame and I discovered the rear bracket for the cable change fouls the back of the frame so out came the grinder !

Still not enough meat removed as engine won't go back far enough for front mount to fit.

I think I'll remove the bracket for the moment to get the engine seated properly then try and refit it cutting away what else is needed to get it to fit .
                  Last edited by Oz; 25-02-2019, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• I don't think I'm going to progress any further with the Custom-Minis frame as there is just much to do to get the CRV box in it that the Watsons frame is now a more practical way forward

Comment

• you should just go vauxhall
                      Mini Restoration on YouTube, donate to club running costs : [email protected]

Comment

• Originally posted by MattG View Post
                        you should just go vauxhall
                        Let me think about that for a second ............. nah !!!

Comment

• I got half an hour at my garage last night and refitted the Watsons Frame. The idea now is to use the Watsons frame but recess the Mini bulkhead to get the frame further back in the body to reduce the extension to the front that is needed.

I needed to mark how much of the lower part of the bulkhead needs cutting out. You can see the black marker line along the bulkhead of where I need to cut.

Once cut out, the frame can be moved back into the recess like this:-

This will then be boxed in like this:-

Last edited by Oz; 21-02-2019, 06:48 PM.

Comment

• I had a bit of a twinge refitting the Watsons frame as I kinda felt I'd taken a 18 month backwards step but I keep telling myself I have to go back to go forward

Comment

• Originally posted by Oz View Post
                              I had a bit of a twinge refitting the Watsons frame as I kinda felt I'd taken a 18 month backwards step but I keep telling myself I have to go back to go forward
                              you going forward .. keep going ..
                              Mini Restoration on YouTube, donate to club running costs : [email protected]

Comment

• Originally posted by Oz View Post
                                I had a bit of a twinge refitting the Watsons frame as I kinda felt I'd taken a 18 month backwards step but I keep telling myself I have to go back to go forward
                                If I had a penny for every time I felt I'm going backward...you're heading the right way, just keep going!
                                Quickly now, before I think it through!
                                https://www.facebook.com/BrutalacGarageProjects

Comment

Working...
                                X