• Show
Clear All

Good move on tanks, look at all that room you have left
    "yuck ,more like a 3 r2"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tb261HwQNDQ
    SAY WHAT YOU BELEVE,,BELEVE WHAT YOU LIKE,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk

Comment

So I took the plunge today and rolled the shell onto its side.

I was really suprised to see that the underside is in pretty good nick, previous onwer has put in new front floors and fitted new sills. After poking around I only found two holes near the rear heal board through to the back seat. Should be a really easy repair.

The previous owner had fully welded the sils on

Whilst she was on her side I finished off welding the arches, my wedling is slowly improving.

Going to make up some brackets to run the fuel / brake lines & Battery cable, repair the floor then send her to be dustless blasted.
      Dopeshow
      Last edited by Dopeshow; 21-07-2018, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ardonfast View Post
        Good move on tanks, look at all that room you have left
        LOL. Don't knock it, every inch counts. I would give my right arm for a few more inches.
        Dopeshow
        Last edited by Dopeshow; 23-07-2018, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Love the tanks,
          "yuck ,more like a 3 r2"
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tb261HwQNDQ
          SAY WHAT YOU BELEVE,,BELEVE WHAT YOU LIKE,
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk

Comment

Small update. I was fooking hot yesterday so i decided to punish myself and go and do some grinding and welding in the garage. I found 2 points of rust that needed cutting out and repairing. The neighbours are loving my project as they both came out to ask when i am going to finsh make a noise, "About 12 months", not really the reply they were looking for

took my time as I was worreid about messing up.

That will do! Hopefully she is now totally rust free.....Started to chop the battery box out as the exisitng has been repaired, got a new one so may as well throw it in while i feel confindent.

I have a question aswell. The rust was underneath the circled areas (below), they look like they are there to strenghten, but as these are basically tack welded on the moisture has got between the plate and rusted the boot floor. Does anyone know what these plates are for ? and do i need to refit them?

Dopeshow
            Last edited by Dopeshow; 23-07-2018, 06:33 PM.

Comment

I had a mk2 cooper years ago on hydrolastic and it had those plates. The radius arms had a rubber bump stop fitted on the top side and that is the spot they contacted the floor. Why you'd have them on your later shell I've no idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks Yellow..

Stared at it for hours trying to figure out why they were there.

Comment

I did something similar with the tanks, I decided to keep the battery in the original location so had to make clearance for removal. For the link pipe use something big AN10 or bigger as this will let you fill both tanks from either side.

Comment

Keith,

Yes I anticipated the battery removal requirement so I have already cut out for that.

Thanks for the advise on the size of interlinking pipe. I was going to pipe it up in solid but after thinking about it i think it will tear due to the fuel sloshing round in the tanks and creating movement, so after a quick look at my favourite build diary i decided felxible is the way forward.

Comment

So my shell has been sent to be dustless blasted, I have already decided on paint so I'm going for candy apple red, I plan to etch prime and will give the whole shell a good blast when it returns, to protect it while finish the bodywork, then onto a few coats of jotamastic 87, final coat underneath I am going to use a product called Raptor this will be collour matched to the candy so it will look tidy underneath, still in two minds whether to do the firewall but I will see how the inderside comes out first.

With my shell absent it has given me some time to go hunting for parts. I managed to get a DC2 throttle body off Ebay from a chap in Lituania for £35, it was a risk but to cut a long story short I made him a cheeky offer an I think he accepeted by mistake, it turned up in excellent condition, complete with a near new TPS, happy days!

Got some stage 2 CAT cams from Belguim using a work contact, also some double valve springs and retainers from the same company.

I was worried they were going to be a bit rough, but I had a nice suprise.

A bit premature but with the money I made from the manifold I have ordered some custom gauges from speedhut.com, spoke to a guy that was very helpfull, the speedo will run off the honda speed sensor, rpm off the ECU, water and fuel are programable so will read correct, oil pressure and volts are straight forward, even treated myself to a matching Fuel / Air gauge so they will all match.

Thats it for now, just a waiting game for my shell.
                      Dopeshow
                      Last edited by Dopeshow; 14-05-2019, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Looking good

Comment

So as i have been waiting patiently for my mini return I have been building up a collection of parts. Recieved my cams, got some mini sport front brakes, braided hoses, full gasket and seal set for the engine, cam belt, water pump, gearbox rebuild kit, new clutch, lightened flywheel, billet subframe mounts and some minor engine dress up parts.

Here is my collection so far.

Dopeshow
                          Last edited by Dopeshow; 23-09-2018, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Finally got my shell back from blasting. I got it etch primed all over to give it a little protection for a few weeks while i finish the shell. Made me laugh as I was in my daughters BMW mini the other week and I thought it seemed small, then you see the classic shell next to the BMW Mini and its 30% smaller

Overall i am resonably happy, the shell is solid apart from a few pin holes, but both rear quarters are rippled so thats the next few weekends taken care of applying filler to get everything looking straight.

The only area of concern is the boot floor. I am not happy with the repairs and the guy that had the shell before me removed the bumper fixing, so as i want to fit a rear bumper so I have brought a repair panel that I will install next week.

Dopeshow
                            Last edited by Dopeshow; 24-09-2018, 04:03 PM.

Comment

So as you can see from the photos above the back quarters were pretty messed up, after some time panel beating I managed to get them something like, so I got to work with throwing filler at them. I took me a whole day but finally managed to get them straight.

In hindsight I wished I had just replaced the quarters but they are done now. I noticed that the roof has some small ripples so I have decided to make my own carbon fibre roof skin which I will update when I get round to it.

Comment

Looking great so far. I think I know the seller you're talking about based in Lithuania on ebay, I made a cheeky offer once and he wasn't happy at all about it

When you hoping to have it done by?
                                An expert is someone who tells you why you can't do something- Alec Issigonis

Comment

Working...
                                X