No announcement yet.

B18 1987 Mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice filler work, they look well integrated into the rear panel. Is your rear valance not welded in place? as I see what looks like bolts holding it on.
    89 Mini 30...finished the car ... again!

Comment

• Originally posted by MiniMike View Post
      Nice filler work, they look well integrated into the rear panel. Is your rear valance not welded in place? as I see what looks like bolts holding it on.
      Thanks mate. Rear Valance is Carbon fibre so its only bolted temporary. I will be bonding the valance on once I have prepped it up

Comment

• Originally posted by Dopeshow View Post

Thanks mate. Rear Valance is Carbon fibre so its only bolted temporary. I will be bonding the valance on once I have prepped it up
        Ah, missed the fact that it's carbon fibre.. no rust on that piece..thx

Comment

• Back Quarters filled. Looks like there is a lot more filler on there than what there is, its only a very light skim.

Comment

• All of the filling has now been complete, I've discovered it's a job I absolute hate and I have a new found respect for people who do this as a living, it certainly tested my OCD to the limit and I would rather trap my foreskin in my zipper than do it all again. I finished off seam sealing everything I could even went full Binky and did round the edges of the door skins.

Gave her a couple of coats of epoxy to seal her up. Going to leave it to cure for a week before I paint it in primer filler.

Getting real close now
            Last edited by Dopeshow; 31-03-2021, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• Nice work, I also hate the prep work, rubbing down and filling seems to take forever, same with decorating at home, horrible job.

Comment

• What's the significant difference between epoxy primer and say high build primer?
                Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
                http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
                Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

Comment

• Originally posted by strudel View Post
                  What's the significant difference between epoxy primer and say high build primer?
                  I'm no expert on paint so just following the advice of my painter. I've done loads or research and there is so much conflicting information out there. The logic on my application for epoxy is to seal the bare metal / filler and etch as its none porous, I will sand the epoxy with 220 just to prep it and then I will high build the whole car, the high build can be easily block sanded, in essence its a spray filler, I will work from 220 through to 600grit to get everything super straight before final paint. I'm sure some will think there was no need for the epoxy and I could have just gone with high build but as I said, I just took the advice of my painter and it seems to me most of the time it boils down to personal preference.

Comment

• You said it , Epoxy seals the bare metal. Great idea for cars that are sitting about for a period of time before the top coat goes on.
                    moisture can get into standard primer basically rusting the car from the inside out.

Comment

• Sorry for the lack of updates. Had a complete nightmare, had the car filler primed and when we were prepping up for final topcoat we noticed there was something wrong with the epoxy primer, for some reason it had reacted and become soft, we have no idea why this happened, the only thing we can think of is that there must have been something wrong with the product. So my only option was to strip all the paint off, to say I was upset was an understatement, I nearly beat the car to to death with a sledge hammer, I contemplated setting fire to it & thought about selling it, but my wife talked me out of it and forget about it for a few weeks.

After a month of locking it away in the garage and ignoring the problem, finally got back into it, I purchased some aircraft paint stripper and set to work, being honest the paint came off easier than expected, the stripper also softened the filler up, so I completely had to go back down to bare metal. 50% of the filler work has been redone and the rest will be finished next weekend and I can epoxy and primer filler it again, its been pretty soul destroying having to redo everything again.

In the mean time I've had a delivery from optimise Automotive which has raised my spirits. Great company BTW, I'm over the moon with their service & quality. Carpets have been specially made as I've moved my rear companion boxes back by about 40mm, they fit perfect, came with sound deadening attached to the back which is about 20mm thick!

Monti Carlo door card with Red stitching

Rear cards

Dash Rails trimmed to match

Headliner & Carpet

Comment

• Sorry to hear about the primer issue, but great that you are soldiering on and getting it done.. The interior bits look great!

Comment

• That must be soul destroying, but will soon be forgotten, interior parts look fab.

Comment

• What a horrible job, so after the nightmare with the paint, all was completely removed with aircraft paint stripper, I spent countless hours with a wire wheel on a drill removing paint from the hard to reach areas, everything was back to bare metal, panels were filled and sanded, shell was epoxy primed again and was high build primed, looks like all paint has cured correctly this time.

I'm getting help this weekend to guide coat and sand the high build primer then its off the the body shop next weekend. This has been one experience that I never want to go through again.

Now that the painting is finished, I've given my garage a good clean out as there was overspray everywhere, I decided to treat myself to a couple of new garage doors as one of the original up and over doors was completely shot. I ended up going for some electric grey roller doors, really easy to install and they were no more expensive that replacement up and overs, so it was a no brainer.

Last edited by Dopeshow; 15-07-2021, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• After a lot of waiting finally got her painted.

Going to flat and polish it next weekend and start putting it back together,

Comment

• Very nice

Comment

Working...
                                X