D15B build for a daily driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D15B build for a daily driver

ok so I come here to start my build, I have an 82 mini that I bought while stationed in Germany from a UK seller. It was brought to Germany to sell to the Austrian market from a town called Garmisch. I was on a vacation there for skiing and had been searching for months for a mini. I came across it on an internet search and boom I bought it. At that time I knew nothing about minis other then I thought it was cool and wanted a car to take back to the us with me. I quickly found out in Germany I really could not find a mechanic to assist with this crazy car. Well I found one an hour away but he was over worked and a one man show he had like a 6 month waiting list to get to before he got to my car but he pointed out a bunch of stuff to fix on my car so I dug in. I learned a lot fixing my mini in a German barn in town. I had to pull the engine the first time with a tractor... well all the work was worth it I drove it for about a year after that with very few problems, loving the car. I got it back to the states and licensed it with no issues even though it was a 1275 instead of the 1000 on the title. They had just added new import rules which made this more difficult but I had no issues at all just a lot of warnings from the customs officials in Germany.

Last month I decided to drive the mini 750 miles to my temporary duty assignment so that I could fix up a few things and see if I could upgrade a few things. on the way I noticed that at highway speeds about every seal on the engine started to push oil out.... and my oil pressure was hovering at 35lbs. after arriving I was confused on what I was going to do, I first thought I would just reseal the engine again like I did when I got it. then I planed to just trailer it back and keep driving it to work at not highway speeds. great plan... the next day I drove it to work and smoke started to come out the exhaust. Well there went that plan.

So I made the decision to do a vtec conversion, I picked the Minitec MTD kit and placed my order. I also ordered the gauges and pedal kit they offer. I have been reading this forum for a while and Mike who pushed me to this forum has been advising me on my build.

Now here is the kicker, I am trying to get this drivable by Aug 9th when I have to return to home station 750 miles away in VA. I started on last Saturday, I have one guy helping me and we are doing it in my father in laws garage. hear are some photos of the first couple days.

my battle buddy for the build

dash before Saturday

dash after

Parts ordered

well that's where I'm at, not going to remove the front end but i am going to do rust repair on the floor and firewall. I went with as many kit options as i could due to my short deadline time. Hoping with all the lessons learned you guys have on this sight I can get this accomplished.

Welcome mate! Nice start.

It is doable especially with most of the things being out of the box bolt in. It all depends if you have the tools and the time then you sould be ready in no time! Provided that you can keep your cool with certain task and when things dont quite go as planed. i have lost it on number of ocasions and dented my mini few times as well as braking few tools

keep the photos up as well

As for the front i reckon you may actually save time if you make it removable? but entirely up to you.

Good luck

Comment

Holy Moly ! Is that a python in the background keeping watch over your mini?
      Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
      (use Irish accent)

Comment

Beautiful burm as a guard for you mini.

In my opinion a removable front would be better for room and access as well, but keeping the front end attached has been done. Good luck with the project and do as much as you can early. It's all the little things that take the time and will cause you to miss your deadline.

Also, good choice going with the d series for a daily driver. They are much more common over here than the b series so if something goes wrong you can swap in a spair quickly. Also they are smaller so you will have more room under the hood if you keep the front end attached
        Last edited by Camshaft1982; 03-06-2014, 07:08 PM.

Comment

ok found a local pick and pull junk yard that has the throttle cable for a Nissan maxima and also i was looking to pull out some quick disconnect cannon plugs from a ford mustang so that i can wire the dash like the image below. also picked up the relays for my power to bypass my ignition switch. below is a photo i found of the gauges i have that i want to wire like.

and this is my watch dog that guards my mini while in its weakened state, its a 36 year old 19 foot python

Comment

Originally posted by filski View Post
            Provided that you can keep your cool with certain task and when things dont quite go as planed.
            Ya when i figured out you cant weld sheet metal with a flux core mig with no gas, i will be practicing a lot of welding this week with the gas. I am not a welder and the guy i had lined up t do it turns out to not do sheet metal so i bought a welder and started to tinker with it. with out gas the mig will shoot holes just like an arc welder.... even though there are settings for flux core its definitely not for sheet metal. I started with a rust crack on my fire wall that will sit behind my engine so it wont be seen but I think I ll move off the car and practice till I figure it out heehee. I think I made the crack bigger rather then smaller.

Comment

ok got the e2ooo pump, need a good filter anyone have the part number of the filter you are using?

Comment

Hi,

This threat is very interesting for me.

I thought of going exactly the same route but did a 16V K1100 conversion at the end on a 1380 block (very happy).

For the future it may be an option to make a D15 Van for me, so I am following you closely.

Nice dog, by the way.

Lluيs

Comment

Originally posted by 82mini View Post
                  Ya when i figured out you cant weld sheet metal with a flux core mig with no gas, i will be practicing a lot of welding this week with the gas. I am not a welder and the guy i had lined up t do it turns out to not do sheet metal so i bought a welder and started to tinker with it. with out gas the mig will shoot holes just like an arc welder.... even though there are settings for flux core its definitely not for sheet metal. I started with a rust crack on my fire wall that will sit behind my engine so it wont be seen but I think I ll move off the car and practice till I figure it out heehee. I think I made the crack bigger rather then smaller.
                  I dont know what you are talking about

Half of my car is welded with flux gassless it really the case of trial and error and the more you do it the better it gets.

with the crack try pulse wealding and have a wet cloth to cool down the weld i found that this works or you can just get a square patch of metal and weld over the top!

There is a welding guide on TMF its all theoretical but kinda helps with basics

ow and youtube youtube and youtube again and you'll be a pro

ow and safety mate thats pretty imp too +)

good luck

and a nice snake u got there

Comment

received the pedals and gauges today, had wire and connectors ready to get busy tonight and wire it all up and to my surprise it came wired right out of the box and pretty nicely done if i do say so myself. here are photos of the set.

oh heck ya just got an email back from mini tec about the connectors and they told me that the wiring harness i got from them already has the connectors wired on and the dash is pretty much plug and play. and the sensors are already installed on the engine I am getting from them. that's great news and a sure time saver.
                    Last edited by 82mini; 04-06-2014, 10:17 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

holding the welding gun at the correct angle cuts down on the slag, but at the sametime you have to remember that flux core burns hotter then gas welding, but most gas welding wire is smaller gauge to start out with,
                      try and find some .030dia flux core wire and that will help with blowing holes in the metal from getting it to hot
                      if your using the .045dia flux core wire then your gonna make alot of holes in the metal real fast, but make sure you have the correct size tip for the wire,
                      if you are using .030 wire with a .045 tip, your probably get some slag up in their and have to replace the tip alot faster then normal
                      also pulse weld sheet metal and give it time to cool down, move around to differernt spots to help with heat

Comment

still need a fuel filter if anyone had the part data to be used for a d15b

working on the dash now that I have the gauge pod, have to remake my dash due to the water damage to the left side of the dash. I am remaking the same shaped dash with plastic panels and then going to cover it with vinyl. as soon as I get it cut up and assembled ill get some photos. tomorrow I take a second whack at welding. got my label maker handy going to start to pull apart the wiring harness and find the wires I need to connect to the Honda harness when it arrives from minitec.

Comment

http://www.summitracing.com/dom/part...0133/overview/

this is the fuel filter im using on my car

Comment

where are you stationed.. im in the tampa area if youre close to there I can help out
                            Tampa, Florida... Wilson Motor Works.. WMW4LIFE

Comment

thank for the part data

im up at Campbell in TN/KY for tdy
                              I'll be back in VA in a couple months

Comment

Working...
                              X