X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edk83
    • Dec 2014

Austin Allegro K series VVC build.

My old build thread is gone so here is the new one.

I bought an Allegro 1500 Super from Kieran on here, it was setup pretty much perfectly - Bike carbs, polished and ported head, aggressive cam, custom manifold, individualised mgf hydragas etc

Drove it around for a while, great fun. Had to change the steering rack after a bearing died, put a stereo in it and refitted Ford esc ignition to the existing trigger wheel that Kieran made. The electronic ignition gave it some more power, but made it harder to start to the point where I had to use jump leads and another car if it was cold! Nothing wrong with the battery, just the starter pulls a lot of current and its not quite big enough.

Decided it should be easy to start and have more power. The K series is cheap so started measuring, knew it would fit

Mgf rad fits up front, manifold might be a little close but nothing a little front panel modding wont fix.

Alternator fits, even on the stock mount with about 5mm clearance.

Cluch master fits, might change to cable though.

Brake master doesnt fit thought!

These are ET45, might try ET35 as there is some room.

Also turning left this happens!

Hoping less offset will help with thinner tyres. If not might have to use 14" wheels, how do minis get away with it? Metro engine mount arm instead of mgf maybe?

Looks better straight!

Last edited by edk83; 10-07-2017, 10:17 AM.
  • edk83
    • Dec 2014

Today was Allegro moving day, its going to a friends while I move house. It will then be going into a garage and out of the weather

Made an A frame that bolts to the bottom of the subframe.

All hooked up.

Hmm it does sit nice on those wheels.

Last edited by edk83; 10-07-2017, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• Add_Gee
      • Feb 2009

Looks good, is the engine sitting on anything or just placed in the bay for a test fit?

Comment

• Oz
        • Oct 2003

It looks like its in an MGF subframe
        Watsons frame in a standard length front, they said it was impossible ...

Build Thread - standard length round nose B series with Watsons frame, it is possible

Comment

• edk83
          • Dec 2014

Sorry much of my build pics have been left out due to it all getting deleted.
          It's an MG TF front subframe with the lower engine mount and lots of other bits added and changed.

Last edited by edk83; 10-07-2017, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• AGoaty
            • Oct 2008

Well done Ed for posting this back on. It's a great build. Will be a brilliant car when finished.
            If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

Comment

• edk83
              • Dec 2014

Cheers

Lotus Exige flywheel turned up today, its gonna rev like a motorbike
              Annoyingly moving house will take up all my free time for about the next month

Should have a nice dry garage to work in afterwards though

Last edited by edk83; 10-07-2017, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• Add_Gee
                • Feb 2009

Great pics, I must have missed this first time round, looks a really neat install.

Comment

• edk83
                  • Dec 2014

Thanks

lots and lots to do yet, roll cage is next and a strut brace for the front.

Comment

• Phaeton
                    • Apr 2007

Some very nice welding there, is that manifold/exhaust cat'd or straight through & just modified?

Comment

• edk83
                      • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Phaeton View Post
                      Some very nice welding there, is that manifold/exhaust cat'd or straight through & just modified?
                      I have a pro welder helping me, he mostly builds trains so the car is a bit thinner steel so has to remember to turn the welder down a bit lol. He can do ali, stainless the lot. Good job really otherwise I'd be gaffer taping everything

The exhaust is a stainless mgf manifold and downpipe, cut and rewelded. I was thinking about the cat and have read that the vvc engine could do with one. Ended up buying a decat pipe and used that as part of the system! The stainless clamps onto the mid and rear section which 2" mild steel, a cheery bomb and sportex mini backbox.

It not going to be terribly quiet but I'm thinking the 2.5" mgf into the 2" should sound raspy rather than a fart machine with a big can on the back.

Only one way to find out I guess!

Comment

• edk83
                        • Dec 2014

Well here are another couple of pictures of the progress on the Allgero bodied Corvette.
                        Amazing.

I dont think mine will ever look that good, on a better note though my Protech front shocks are on the way!
                        Last edited by edk83; 10-07-2017, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• edk83
                          • Dec 2014

For the front suspension I'm planning on using Protechs and getting the correct springs when I know the corner weights.

These arrived just before I moved with top spring mounts for 2.25" Springs.

Just got to work out how they need to be built up with the bushes now!

This is the order I'm thinking, with the extra nut that goes on top of the spacer tube missing in the pic as they are on the stock tf shocks I have. Not sure if the spring washer is needed or not the stock setup doesnt seem to have it. There will be a rather large spring pushing it all together anyway!

Comment

• edk83
                            • Dec 2014

My center console thing arrived from Wiz bang fabs

Just got a lot of cutting and mashing to do now. I have also realised that with the gauges being straight in I wont be able to read them as they are lcd and you need to be looking more or less straight at them! Ordered a bit of 51mm silicone so I can make some angled surrounds for them.

Also copied someones idea to notch the tubes for the roll cage, getting my new place setup managed to pickup an old bench drill for £17 abnd a shiney new vice, ordered a few metal cutting hole saws.

Comment

• MattG
                              Administrator
                              • Sep 2003

looking good
                              Mini Restoration on YouTube, donate to club running costs : [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X