Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AGoaty
    • Oct 2008

The VVC is much more smooth in operation than the VTEC.

The VTEC is like a switch. You get to 5500rpm and a gimmicky little light comes on the dash then it's like someone just added a boot full more power!

The VVC advances the valve timing across the rev range. It starts as low as 2000rpm and continues right upto the rev limit. This means you get an easily controllable car from low revs with Torque to pull up hills (I know as live in the Pennines).

I do like the reliability of my Honda but do feel that at low revs it could do with a bit more Torque. If you boot it at 2000rpm, it's not that quick until you reach 5500rpm then BOOM away we go...
    If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

Comment

• Yellow
      • May 2009

Makes sense. The ZR responded well to early up shifts. Nice fat torque curve. I noticed on reading a couple of Honda threads that one of the best real-world driving improvements (as opposed to bhp shoot-outs) is a remap to bring the vtec in at lower revs, which from your comments and my experience in Dad's old B16a clubman makes sense. I found that car a little irritating at times when trying to get a shift on and having to downshift to get it really moving.

Comment

• Yellow
        • May 2009

I am about to start the ZR parts pillaging. One important question: is there any particular procedure for powering down the ECU before I get started? I don't want to cause problems further down the line, particularly as the car already has a KMaps remap so I don't want to lose the map. Less urgent, any tips or care points on tricky steps you may have encountered, or things to keep an eye out for / sequence of operations/ care not to damage? etc Thanks

Comment

• AGoaty
          • Oct 2008

No there is no set order to remove parts. Once battery is removed just go for it!
          I have never heard of the ECU forgetting things.
          Last edited by AGoaty; 03-10-2016, 08:41 AM.
          If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

Comment

• minidarren83
            • Mar 2013

Just rip it all out almost everything you want to use will need modifying so don't take too much care about it

Comment

• Chris16v
              • May 2016

Just don't touch the back of the clocks against anything metal with the battery connected!!.. don't ask me how i know this!!! now on my 3rd set

Comment

• Yellow
                • May 2009

I think I can safely say I'm beyond the point of no return!

I don't plan using much of it, but I'd rather have the complete fully labelled loom just in case plans change.

Waiting on delivery of some torx tools to get the front seats out. Then with the wiring sorted I'll be onto the oily bits

Comment

• edk83
                  • Dec 2014

That's a nice clean looking zr

Started stripping mine down yesterday, done a couple now

I've had good results cutting the driveshafts as close to the box as possible, then just lifting the whole lot out. You can leave the wheels on the car then and it also keeps the oil in the gearbox

Comment

• Yellow
                    • May 2009

I need as much of the inner driveshaft as possible since mine will be cut/shut to the mini outer driveshaft. I'll try to chop them as near the hub as possible, or maybe remove complete. Limbering up for that as I'm aching loads after the weekend of lying under the dashboard and manhandling the exhaust off the car single handed! You will notice the driver's door is off in the pic. Not because it is sold, but because it's the only way I could get in the car in my single garage!

Comment

• edk83
                      • Dec 2014

Snap lol, the drivers door is chucked in the back of mine, the others are still on to hold the junk in.

got my 13 year old to remove the pekron box yesterday, was just going to leave it in but it might be worth a few pennys

Those 6 bolt downpipes are a proper pain! Only possible once you have the alternator, air con and bracket out the way.

You might find you need a mems2 alternator bracket from an mgf to mount it lower down where the air con pump sits.

Comment

• Yellow
                        • May 2009

Daft question.... Where is the box? I know the car has ecu, 5as etc and they are required but I only know from name not experience. Where are these vital bits of kit to be found?!

Comment

• edk83
                          • Dec 2014

Ecu in engine bay next to the battery
                          5as is under the drivers side of the dash up above the top of the steering column, behind the fuse box that you can see

The later cars have the pektron unit which we got out from behind the air con box on the passenger side.

Looks like yours is the earlier 5as type, which is the one you need

Comment

• Yellow
                            • May 2009

There's also a Lucas tagged black plastic ring clipped around the ignition barrel - what's that?

Comment

• edk83
                              • Dec 2014

in late 1998, the 5AS gained a further refinement: passive disarming. A small magnetic coil in the ignition barrel excites a coil in the key fob, causing the transponder in the fob to automatically send a signal to the Lucas electronic control unit (ECU) to disarm the immobiliser – a very useful refinement in the system that significantly adds to owner convenience

Comment

• Yellow
                                • May 2009

Retro Clubman VVC

Thanks, that's clever. So I could have a holder for the key fob in my mini with that gadget stuck to the other side? Sounds cool
                                Last edited by Yellow; 10-10-2016, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X