16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > Vauxhall Chat

Old 23-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
tezrez

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
Default F20 gear box help

hi guys done some searching and reading but still unsure on the route to go. any help to point me in the right direction on whats best and what i need

looking at final drive changes. 1-4 are ok i can just very quick through those but 5th gear cruzing is shocking 70mph is at 5000 there or there abouts i have a F20 box out of a calibra not stamps on the side other than the cast ones so not to sure whats in there.

thanks Adam.
Old 24-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
Birdman

Subframe: Home Made
ECU: Motronic 2.5 - Group N Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezrez View Post
hi guys done some searching and reading but still unsure on the route to go. any help to point me in the right direction on whats best and what i need

looking at final drive changes. 1-4 are ok i can just very quick through those but 5th gear cruzing is shocking 70mph is at 5000 there or there abouts i have a F20 box out of a calibra not stamps on the side other than the cast ones so not to sure whats in there.

thanks Adam.
If your liking the CR gears and rapid gear changes, but want cruising 5th, take the end of the gearbox off and replace the 5th gear(s) with F18WR gears(see XEvalvers write up on this ). You could also use F16WR 5th gears, but I think this is a bit too much a jump from the F20 CR 4th gear.

If your not lovin the rapid gear changes then replace the whole gearbox with either F18WR OR F16WR from a diesel. That's your basic choices. Depends what you want the car for really.
Old 24-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
Andy_S

Subframe: AMT
CC: 1998
ECU: Megasquirt ... kinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
If your not lovin the rapid gear changes then replace the whole gearbox with either F18WR OR F16WR from a diesel. That's your basic choices. Depends what you want the car for really.
Don't be too keen to install the whole Diesel box as the gear ratio gaps are a bit wide in places. This becomes especially problematic if you fit fancy cams to your XE as then you can fall out of the power band.

Swapping the taller 5th gear across from a diesel box to a standard F20 for motorway cruising is the way to go IMHO.
Andy_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
tezrez

Subframe: Allspeed

i did have a reead of xevalvers thread really helpful

so the taller gear from the f16wr is not to much of a jump? as i am happy with the rest its only being used of fast road and general driving around so just want to drop the revs in 5th