X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jackjewell93
    • Apr 2014

Awd with freelander running gear

Has anyone successfully made a rover k series powered awd mini? I guess one of the main problems is the size of the ird?
  • Broomel
    • Apr 2017

Whats an ird?

Comment

• Oz
      • Oct 2003

I think the info in this thread is the closest anyone got to make an AWD Rover powered Mini, the issue seems to be steering rack and transfer box want to share the same space
      Watsons frame in a standard length front, they said it was impossible ...

Build Thread - standard length round nose B series with Watsons frame, it is possible

Comment

• evolotion
        • Oct 2003

I toyed with it, interestingly I have noticed that externally the diesel and petrol IRDs are the same, and I have had tens of failures of petrol IRD units, and not a single diesel, and more of my customers have or had diesels .. So if I were doing this I would investigate this further, even if you had to make a franken box with k-series bellhousing and diesel gearset IRD and final drive (infact that may be better anyway due to smaller wheels!)
        11.9@118 :)

Denis.

Comment

• Oz
          • Oct 2003

I don't really know much about the fitment of the K series in the Metro Frame but with regard to the issue with the steering rack that Ed4Ran noted in his posts on the link I posted is there any scope to lower the engine in the frame (eg spacers under the engine mounts where they bolt to the engine and box) ? I seem to remember readiong somewhere many years ago that the K series was tipped forward in the Metro by about 15 degrees so I guess it would need to be stood upright in the frame to get the transfer box output pointing straight backward ?
          Watsons frame in a standard length front, they said it was impossible ...

Build Thread - standard length round nose B series with Watsons frame, it is possible

Comment

• jackjewell93
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Broomel View Post
            Whats an ird?
            Transfer box

Comment

• jackjewell93
              • Apr 2014

Managed to get my hands on a free lander ird it’s huge going to have a play around at the weekend and see how much the rack needs moving

Comment

• InstantCustard
                • Sep 2010

Problem with moving the rack is it will completely ruin the geometry and you’ll need to re-work everything to get the angles all correct again just to get it steering right, then there’ll be all sorts of bump steer and god knows what else to overcome no doubt.
                What about actually finishing your current build? Was only on the road briefly before it vanished, it grabs a lot of attention on Facebook from the pictures of it, would be great to see it doing the rounds a bit before you start on a much much bigger project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                Originally posted by Burnard
                couldnt be bothered to stretch that far to pull it out.
                Originally posted by ardonfast
                Haz obviously don't like custard , my Mrs spits it out to!
                I love it

Comment

• jackjewell93
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by InstantCustard View Post
                  Problem with moving the rack is it will completely ruin the geometry and you’ll need to re-work everything to get the angles all correct again just to get it steering right, then there’ll be all sorts of bump steer and god knows what else to overcome no doubt.
                  What about actually finishing your current build? Was only on the road briefly before it vanished, it grabs a lot of attention on Facebook from the pictures of it, would be great to see it doing the rounds a bit before you start on a much much bigger project.

Fair point should just get on with it and drive it just needs a couple little bits finishing then getting the gt2560r mapped

Comment

• Broomel
                    • Apr 2017

Originally posted by InstantCustard View Post

Technically if you never drive it and only polish it you dont need a steering rack.

Comment

• InstantCustard
                      • Sep 2010

Technically if you never drive it and only polish it you dont need a steering rack.

LMAO!

Originally posted by Burnard
                      couldnt be bothered to stretch that far to pull it out.
                      Originally posted by ardonfast
                      Haz obviously don't like custard , my Mrs spits it out to!
                      I love it

Comment

• gadget555
                        • Jan 2011

Instant Custard "What about actually finishing your current build? Was only on the road briefly before it vanished, it grabs a lot of attention on Facebook from the pictures of it"
                        Pot, Kettle, Black!

Comment

• jackjewell93
                          • Apr 2014

I’ve actually never polished it that’s too much effort only a mini

Comment

• MiniLandy
                            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by apbellamy
                            Fuck me Shaun. That actually made sense.

Comment

Working...
                            X