• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • InstantCustard
    • Sep 2010

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Burnard
    couldnt be bothered to stretch that far to pull it out.
    Originally posted by ardonfast
    Haz obviously don't like custard , my Mrs spits it out to!
    I love it

Comment

• CooperWorks
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gazwad View Post
      cheers, to be fair I never gave it full beans with you both in the car and without trying to offend you too much the extra weight of two extra passengers definitely makes a big difference! The flexibility of this engine is the best thing, on roads like that being able to leave it in 5th and pull from 1500 rpm makes it a relaxing drive until you open it up
      To be fair, all the weight was in the back

Comment

• InstantCustard
        • Sep 2010

I should really have given you the shotgun to carry in the front.

I love it

Comment

• AGoaty
          • Oct 2008

If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

Comment

• Coaster
            • Aug 2018

Hi Gazwad, just reading through this post of your build having followed the link you posted. I note that you started out with the idea of fitting your metty suspension to an MGTF rear frame with the intention of cutting the turret tops and welding plates to pick up on the original mini tower bolts. That was in post 20 and in post 21 you are fitting a metty frame with side plates. Just wondering why the change of direction

How have those side plates held up? I'm a bit concerned that they only pick up on 4 small bolts each side, doesn't seem a lot given the suspension and engine torque loads involved?

Comment

• gadget555
              • Jan 2011

There are also some tower bolts that bolt down through the original holes and also a pair of of plates the bolt up through the front of the toe board.

Comment

• Coaster
                • Aug 2018

Yes, I saw the rear brackets, very neat, I will copy that but I will need to beef up the GRP where they bolt on and ad some steel plate.

I'm also liking your adjustable coil spring units and upper bracket, any details available on those?

Also, are there any pictures of what you did with the tower top mounts, I'll need to cut mine down a fair bit as well as trim the existing mounting brackets

Cheers

Colin

Comment

• gazwad
                  • Sep 2006

I didn't have any tower mounts on my frame, just the side plates and the lower mounts and they held up fine. The plates were made from 5mm steel and I drilled the mounting holes out to take larger M8 high tensile bolts as well as adding two extra holes each side. Originally I used Gaz mini coilovers with their top mounts but due to the different leverage of the metro/mgf top arms i had to use much stiffer springs (i think around 450lb/in) and eventually changed to the watsons coil springs with hi-los which do in the metro subframe towers (a plate needs welding to the top) and these worked much better.
                  my build: http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4887
                  https://youtu.be/X7O46JmFPh0

Comment

• gazwad
                    • Sep 2006

A few months ago I noticed what i though was pinking (detonation) from the engine but put is down to either something rattling or poor quality fuel. Well i decided to pull the plugs and have a look. Cylinder 3 looks like it's been running very lean with lots of crusty pale deposits on the plug etc. As the others look fine (if slightly rich) I think this can only be a blocked/faulty injector which would explain the lean running on that cylinder and the pinking. Also this is the same cylinder that last year i thought had oil or fuel in it - I changed the bottom end and later found nothing wrong with the old bottom end. I think the injector was overfueling back then (probably sticking open) and is now underfueling. I'm trying to get hold of some new injectors - they are the blue type so a little harder to get, does anyone know a good supplier of these?
                    Might have to get it on the strip once it's fixed to see if there's an improvement as i think it's been running like this since before the last time did the 1/4 mile

Comment

• InstantCustard
                      • Sep 2010

Rimmer Bros sell them but at £42 each!
                      Only other option would be to get a used one and then have the full set reconditioned.
                      There are some new ones on eBay that are cheap but they from Hong Kong, I’m not sure how I’d feel using them, they’re quite a vital part and even if they flow the correct amount of fuel, will the spray pattern be correct?!

I love it

Comment

• Haz
                        • May 2017

Strange site is rimmerbros, great for some things and a total rip off for others. They want £10 per rover wheel nut. Day light robbery!

Are there no after market injectors from a reputable brand that’ll suit? Bosch EV6 is the OEM for a TF from a quick google. Good thread on the rover forum talking about different spray patterns and duty cycles vs bhp etc.

Comment

• gazwad
                          • Sep 2006

just ordered them from rimmer bros, but only paid £32 each - they did a price match from another website i found that had them cheaper but not in stock.

Comment

• AGoaty
                            • Oct 2008

The Chinese injectors I have bought for Scorpion. I told Jack about them and he is running them. Obviously mine isn't running yet. They were £30 a set of 4 including delivery from Hong Kong.
                            If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

Comment

• InstantCustard
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by gazwad View Post
                              just ordered them from rimmer bros, but only paid £32 each - they did a price match from another website i found that had them cheaper but not in stock.

Ideal! At least you know they’re all good once they’re changed over and can safely rule them out being a reliability issue in the future.

I love it

Comment

• jackjewell93
                                • Apr 2014

As said above I’m running the cheap injectors was linked into the injector cycle on the dyno wasn’t maxing them all seems fine so far only done 100ish miles on them though

Comment

Working...
                                X